Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

I have 5 x 4Tb external discs. I have a ten port powered hub blutacked to my desk, and the discs take up five slots, and of course five cables. I tried using a three port non-powered hub for three of the discs, but it was quite hit and miss if they were recognised.

Would a second powered hub help? If it would, I can tuck it behind the monitor stand.

I have 5 x 4Tb external discs. I have a ten port powered hub blutacked to my desk, and the discs take up five slots, and of course five cables. I tried using a three port non-powered hub for three of the discs, but it was quite hit and miss if they were recognised.

Would a second powered hub help? If it would, I can tuck it behind the monitor stand.
For powering more drives, yes. I wouldn't want to bet on using all those drives simultaneously though.

Yes if they aren't getting enough power, which it sounds like is the case. USB is a bit shit for your use case though.

It's probably more faff and expense then you want but I think your getting to home server territory. You can run stuff like Plex though and my ratio on torrent sites is way better with a small low powered box that's seeding 24/7. It runs without monitor keyboard and mouse (headless) so can be tucked right away. Mines is in the boiler cupboard.

Last edited:
Fucks sake Microsoft. I need to move the tenancy my work laptop is on and because it's been hammered the last few years, I thought a proper re-install would be the way to go. My plan was to do some gaming and just have it the corner and get it to a basic state for tomorrow morning, so I can at least take calls etc, but finish it properly in work time.

However my system recovery partition is broken, so I made a USB installer, but Win 11 won't install as a media driver is missing. A quick google says it's likely to be an intel NVMe thing, but this is getting into proper work territory and not how I want to spend my Sunday, so I'll take a day in the office this week so I can use my desktop and have the laptop out of action. The bit I find utterly perplexing is that in 2023 I need to fuck round with additional drivers on a freshly downloaded copy of Win 11. :facepalm:

• Sad
Reactions: Chz
Has anyone worked for the NHS? I wasn't actively looking for a job, but am signed up for lots of alerts as I like to know what's out there and see how my skills compare to the money. There's an opening super close where I live and whilst I hate commuting, I'd actually quite like to be in an office a bit more, work for a big organisation with something resembling proper procedures, have a job spec and just be able to get some proper advice advice when I'm out of my depth. Starting pay is 3.5k more then what I'm on with the other nice NHS benefits. Only thing is it's a hell of list of things that they want, but I don't think it's anything I can't do or learn quickly, but I'm not sure just looking at my CV that a bit under two years at an MSP can reflect that. Even if it's been a trial by fire. Main sticking point I think will be an HNC/HND/Foundation degree or equivalent experience. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Closing date is next week, so to strengthen my application I've booked a MS 900 for a weeks time. Think I can do it if I smash the learning out as I use 365 daily. Ideally I'd have got ITIL V3 as it's listed as desirable. I know isn't super hard, but I don't think a week is enough time to start it from scratch. I've put off doing it up till now because it sounds so boring. :D

Thanks. The only thing I'm not sure about is references, they don't mention about when they will be taken up and I know government organisations can be different? I wasn't planning on properly looking for another 6-12 months, so I really really don't want my boss to know.

It's been so many years since I've had a "proper" job before this one, I find it all a bit weird.

They'd have to understand, surely, including the planning on looking for another 6-12 months and you not wanting boss to know?

Got a powered hub, plugged in drives. The machine is seeing the drives all the time.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm an electronic squirrel. I was looking at a 14Tb drive last night, and thinking, well at £241.00 it is cheaper than 3x 4Tb. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: NO! Clear the duplicates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a powered hub, plugged in drives. The machine is seeing the drives all the time.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm an electronic squirrel. I was looking at a 14Tb drive last night, and thinking, well at £241.00 it is cheaper than 3x 4Tb. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: NO! Clear the duplicates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out r/datahorder and realise what amateurs we are. :D

I mean really you need 2x14TB so you've got all the data backed up in case a drive fails. :p

They'd have to understand, surely, including the planning on looking for another 6-12 months and you not wanting boss to know?

Yeah, I'd hope so, but I should probably find a way to check. Not sure if it would be weird to drop them an email.

Why on Earth did it take this bloody long for me to discover that OneNote is a thing? I found out about it last week as something that would help me at work, but this morning I realised that it was perfect for collating all of my worldbuilding and science fiction writing notes. Now I've got a massive job of transferring my back library of assorted .txt files into OneNote, which is a bit tedious yet feels good all the same. When that's done I will have it all accessible and editable in one window.

Why on Earth did it take this bloody long for me to discover that OneNote is a thing? I found out about it last week as something that would help me at work, but this morning I realised that it was perfect for collating all of my worldbuilding and science fiction writing notes. Now I've got a massive job of transferring my back library of assorted .txt files into OneNote, which is a bit tedious yet feels good all the same. When that's done I will have it all accessible and editable in one window.

I think it's great. We use for all our notes at work about different clients, but I've some personal stuff on my own account as well that's a bit more complex then I want to use Keep for.

Like all 365 stuff it's nice you can use the app or the browser.

Fuck me MS-900 (365 Fundamentals) is boring. Especially with the speed that MS changes things I know a lot of it will be out of date so soon after taking it. I've got to the point I'm just blitzing practice questions. It's a great way to pass an exam, but a pretty shit way to properly learn stuff, but it appears you don't actually much real depth for this one. Hopefully it will look good on my CV.

Got a message from a recruiter today which I've not had for ages, I guess since there's not much on my LinkedIn, but actually had people who used to work for the company I on his connections so I replied mostly so we're on each other's radar. As I suspected the job was to advanced to me, but he said apply anyway, these companies job specs are more of a wish list then what they expect. I'd be tempted, but I don't have the confidence or skills to the main escalation point for other people. One of the things that frustrates me about my current role is that I can't escalate to anyone most of the time.

What the fuck just happened to my monitor? I saw it change out of the corner of my eye and now the screen isn't lined up any more.

IMG_20230805_191823.jpg

Thanks. The only thing I'm not sure about is references, they don't mention about when they will be taken up and I know government organisations can be different? I wasn't planning on properly looking for another 6-12 months, so I really really don't want my boss to know.

It's been so many years since I've had a "proper" job before this one, I find it all a bit weird.

They won't ask the referees until they offer, at least that's usual procedure

Has anyone worked for the NHS?

Which trust? There is an outside chance I put their network in. :hmm:

From what I remember about your career, I think it could be a good move. You'll probably get decent training on some reasonably new, good quality kit. Benefits are good and if you hang around long enough you can get to decent levels. Or you might get frustrated and leave after 5 years. Either way, it's a good thing to have on a CV.

There had to be a bloody worm in the apple, didn't there? OneNote is mucking me about, moving around the little text boxes even though I never fucking told it to do that:

onenote-please.PNG

These text boxes were not overlapping when I last saw them, but when I look at the pages now, they do. OneNote even changed the default font that I had set, and for some reason I couldn't change it back because it wasn't appearing in the list. Apparently the font was no longer installed after restarting my computer, what the fucking fuck?!

Which trust? There is an outside chance I put their network in. :hmm:

From what I remember about your career, I think it could be a good move. You'll probably get decent training on some reasonably new, good quality kit. Benefits are good and if you hang around long enough you can get to decent levels. Or you might get frustrated and leave after 5 years. Either way, it's a good thing to have on a CV.

If I get it I'll drop you a PM out of curiosity. :)

Last edited:
Passed the MS 900 this morning. Man that was a weird exam. I really thought I failed, but got 777 out of 900. I use parts of 365 daily, but that wasn't actually much help as it's so broad. I'm not really sure what it's purpose is. It's a fundamentals exam, so surely being able to describe the core stuff in more detail would be more useful then knowing the different flavours of fucking Viva or the many different ways you can buy their products? All I really knew about viva before this started was it sends me useless emails and if someone complains there Outlook keeps crashing the first thing to do is disable it. What is good I guess I that I've done an MS exam, which will help when I get my ass in gear to do a higher level one. For example you've got to get part marks for some questions as there is no way I'd have passed it otherwise. Oh I fucking hate pearson vue, but I think that's universal. It's such a ball ache stripping my office down to get rid of extra monitors and even uninstall certain software from my PC.

Also my cat did not like the closed door. Despite very full food bowls before I started she was scratching with such persistency that I thought she might get it open (so instant fail). Luckily my partner woke up and locked her in the bedroom with her, but I'm having a door wedge on the inside of the door next time :D

Hilariously after sitting that exam I'm sat here bashing my head against the screen slightly using Exchange Online. An email is being sent straight to archive on a shared mailbox. I can see from the message trace that it's being journaled. How? No idea. We've set up no rules for it to do this, so I strongly suspect a user has on their Outlook. Can I find a screen which shows which user rules apply to mailbox? Not that I've found yet...

Wots OneNote?

Managed to clear out space in my OneDrive last night, and now my creative writing stuff in OneNote can be backed up to the cloud. Should have done this years ago, thank goodness I haven't had any catastrophic hardware failure or loss before now.

Hilariously after sitting that exam I'm sat here bashing my head against the screen slightly using Exchange Online. An email is being sent straight to archive on a shared mailbox. I can see from the message trace that it's being journaled. How? No idea. We've set up no rules for it to do this, so I strongly suspect a user has on their Outlook. Can I find a screen which shows which user rules apply to mailbox? Not that I've found yet...

Think you have to root in powershell for that or do an audit

Back
Top Bottom