Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The last blockbuster video on the planet - nostalgia and current film viewing

BigMoaner

We will all go together
This video made me a bit nostalgic. Used to love my trip to blockbuster as a teen - used to rent a game and film. Used to remember the satisfying feeling of having a vid and game in my bag on the bus home. I always felt far more engaged in a rented movie, more focused. Now, I've lost that focus and I can barely watch a film all the way through. back then you could watch a film with zero distractions (i.e. without a phone). Anyone else feel the same or am i just an old fart bastard?

Dave Berry on absolute radio did a thing where he flew one of the staff (son of the manager) over to London give him a blockbuster card. They held a film night and flew him home. It was quite sweet.

I do sort of miss going and choosing a video and buying some popcorn. It was such a treat and my lovely dad always let me choose some absolute horseshit. 😄

Not Blockbuster, but there's still a VHS/DVD/Blu-ray rental shop thriving in Bristol, currently only posting out or using a dropbox due to Covid. They also have a tiny cinema in the back for about 10 people, which you can hire out for viewings with friends. Had a great time watching Johnny Guitar there for a friend's birthday.

Not Blockbuster, but there's still a VHS/DVD/Blu-ray rental shop thriving in Bristol, currently only posting out or using a dropbox due to Covid. They also have a tiny cinema in the back for about 10 people, which you can hire out for viewings with friends. Had a great time watching Johnny Guitar there for a friend's birthday.

I spent many an hour just browsing when they were up on Richmond Terrace, the selection was mind-boggling. Don't think they once charged me a late return fee either, lovely people.

Is there a way of copying a Bluray 'as is' for home users? Recording the picture/audio to MP4 is easy enough, but the complete package? I'm far from convinced that physical media is dead, and so such a service should still exist, prosper even, when all the content producers are restricting their content to their own subscription services.

Is there a way of copying a Bluray 'as is' for home users? Recording the picture/audio to MP4 is easy enough, but the complete package? I'm far from convinced that physical media is dead, and so such a service should still exist, prosper even, when all the content producers are restricting their content to their own subscription services.
Do you mean ripping it from the disc? I've some software that does DVDs, but presume it does blu-ray too - will check what it's called later.

I used to work in Blockbusters and it sucked. But I have a lot of knowledge of the films that came out the year I worked there.

Back
Top Bottom