Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Jimi Hendrix Thread

This is like the coolest studio jam ever - notable for the snort/toke someone gives him at the 1:07 mark and the mad talking Wah Wah later on 😎

Fact! Possibly.

Jimi was once refused service in a bar in Liverpool, England because the bartender thought he was dressed as a clown. According to Hendrix biographer, Charles R. Cross, Jimi had believed the barman was racist, asking him, “Is it because I am black?”

“It has nothing to do with your race,” the bartender replied. “We do not want your kind in here. The sign outside is clear about it.”

Noel went outside and read a sign on the door and told Jimi: “It says clowns will not be served.

I found this!
ZybjD3frqVV562QUSCyL73-320-80.jpg

THE PHOTO November 12, 1967; Hendrix, Redding, Mitchell and hairdresser Gary Craze at Sweeny Todd barber shop in London, England; photographer Bruce Fleming
BACKGROUND During the heyday of Swinging London, all the beautiful people had their hair done at Sweeny Todd. Why? Mitch Mitchell learned the hard way. In late March 1967, the drummer decided to have his hair permed to match Jimi and bassist Noel Redding’s fuzzy afros. Redding suggested that his band mate see a friend of his who would do the job for far less than he’d have to pay a professional hairdresser. It was only when the friend finished the job that, to his unutterable horror, Mitchell discovered his hair was a total disaster. “I ended up having to go to a hairdresser anyway,” sighed Mitchell.
That salon was Sweeny Todd, and soon the entire band were regulars at the hot clip shop. Not surprisingly, Sweeny sought to capitalize on the trio’s fame and soon asked the Experience to pose for a promotional photo.

Back
Top Bottom