Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Idiot's Guide to Moving to Edinburgh

Wow, I thought it was monotonously grey and the fact that most of it was built during a relatively short period added to the monotony plus it was a bit up its own arse
Well, there is that. Yes, but the old towny bits are pretty but ever so touristiqe.
...fact that most of it was built during a relatively short period ...

Oh? Now that is just odd. :confused:

Edinburgh is very diverse, and has a lot of different areas, people and places to go to. I loved living there, and to be honest I lived in a part of town (leith) for several years that wasn't touristy, was quite quiet but still easy to get to shops and work. August in the city centre was always a nightmare though.

1, could have been approx 4 days in the last month
2, it has actually been warm and even fecking hot some days
3, on the hot days it has been bikini weather ffs!! :D

I tried to think of a list like Danny, got as far as Jenners and the Chocolate Soup shop and ran out of things I like about Edinburgh :D Sorry, not a city person
If you like going out and eating out it's great, if you like peace and quiet not so good
Jenner's isn't the same since House of Fraser took it over. They don't do loose Jellybellys any more, the bastards.

I wasn't particularly impressed by Edinburgh to be honest, but I only really walked up and down the Royal Mile, usually to get a train back to Glasgow, Loch Lomond etc lol. I think it was a bit too touristy.

I did manage to see the Riding of the Marches though.. it was amazing! :)

I went there for a brief concert last week and there was an interesting security procedure. When you went out for a fag you had to take a leaflet and when you came back in you show ticket and leaflet. Leaflet is taken off of you. Cheap, unobstrusive and decent security measure, I applaud the thinking

anyway I saw the castle by daylight on the wall side. I looked at it and tried to imagine taking it without air support. No, the rivers of blood and hot oil. 100-1 losses... Unless its easier to approach on the other side that thing must have been impregnable.

I had a very stereotypical Glaswegian (adopted mind) view of Edinburgh. But after 6 years going to and from the city regularly I rather like it and the things I discovered that all too many people never get to see.

Last edited:
Some of the smaller bars, some of the places like the wee playground by the meadows, some of the wee chippies, the retaurants, the locals the festival-goers miss, the wee shops and the people that yer average festival-goer and tourist would never get to see let alone even think to go to see. Finding out some of the working-class history that Edinburhghs esteemed burghers are almost ashamed to let the world see, the radical and fascinating social history that, like many places, but feels more given Edinburghs near pathological drive to keep from tourists when the big month in August comes round.... A much more fascinating and brillaint city than it ever tries to present

Back
Top Bottom