Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Idiot's Guide to Moving to Edinburgh

Idris2002

canadian girlfriend
I might - and I stress might - have a chance of a job in Edinburgh sometime in the near future. I don't want to say any more than that, as I don't want to jinx it, and anyway it's not strictly germane to this thread.

This is a city I've never been to in my life. I'm wondering now what the major issues are in relation to relocating to the Scottish capital.

How hard, and how expensive, is it to find somewhere decent to live?

I'm used to harsh weather conditions from living in Mayo, but I understand that Schottland is something else again. What say you, urban?

What's Nicola Sturgeon really like?

Enquiring minds want to know.

The only way to survive the incessant rain which afflicts Scotland is to live, as the locals do, on a diet of haggis and neeps, augmented by kippers and Dundee cake or deep-fried Mars bar, washed down with irn-bru, buckfast, tennants super or whiskey which even the youngest Scot drinks.

The only way to survive the incessant rain which afflicts Scotland is to live, as the locals do, on a diet of haggis and neeps, augmented by kippers and Dundee cake or deep-fried Mars bar, washed down with irn-bru, buckfast, tennants super or whiskey which even the youngest Scot drinks.

And heroin

You've not been to Edinburgh recently then? It's like a cold shoreditch these days. Hipsters and fancy restaurants everywhere. Even Leith has got an M&S!

I might - and I stress might - have a chance of a job in Edinburgh sometime in the near future. I don't want to say any more than that, as I don't want to jinx it, and anyway it's not strictly germane to this thread.

This is a city I've never been to in my life. I'm wondering now what the major issues are in relation to relocating to the Scottish capital.

How hard, and how expensive, is it to find somewhere decent to live?

I'm used to harsh weather conditions from living in Mayo, but I understand that Schottland is something else again. What say you, urban?

What's Nicola Sturgeon really like?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Joking aside pretty much all the bits of Edinburgh I've seen have been very nice, it is quite cool but has all the amenities you might hope for.

You'll need to toughen up if you want to move here. As Cassius Dio said of the natives:

"They can endure hunger and cold and any kind of hardship; for they plunge into the swamps and exist there for many days with only their heads above water."

I myself am neck-deep in a cold, inhospitable swamp at this very minute.

You'll need to toughen up if you want to move here. As Cassius Dio said of the natives:

"They can endure hunger and cold and any kind of hardship; for they plunge into the swamps and exist there for many days with only their heads above water."

I myself am neck-deep in a cold, inhospitable swamp at this very minute.
Whereabouts?

Where will the job be based? The answer to that might make a difference as to housing options/expense thereof.

It *is* expensive, btw. Renting, buying, cost of living. Not London silly, but shit none the less.

With the exception of the peartree, danny la rouge 's list is a half decent start.

Bit pizza heavy, mind. There are a few other places I'll add later so you don't have to live on only expensive cheesy bread.

Also, it's important to know, Idris2002, that the thing people say in chip shops before handing you your chips is:

"Saltnsos?"

It happens at the juncture you may be expecting them to say "salt and vinegar?"

If you aren't paying attention this will mean you get salt and a version of brown sauce on your supper. (In Edinburgh they will not expect you to ask for no brown sauce. They will probably think you're a hipster if you want vinegar instead, but they will happily give you vinegar as well, if they can find it in the back room).

Edinburgh's quite cold and much less rainy than Glasgow. Easy to walk around the centre, good bus service, rents are not bad and tenement flats tend to be generous in size. :thumbs:
Where will the job be based? The answer to that might make a difference as to housing options/expense thereof.

It *is* expensive, btw. Renting, buying, cost of living. Not London silly, but shit none the less.

I think I've maybe been living in London too long. Just had a quick look on Rightmove to see how much rents are these days and one bed flats in okay locations are about half of what they are round here :oops: :(.

I think I've maybe been living in London too long. Just had a quick look on Rightmove to see how much rents are these days and one bed flats in okay locations are about half of what they are round here :oops: :(.

Thing is, a similar thing happens if youve been living in Edinburgh and look at other cities (London obviously excluded).

Reactions: Sue
It's expensive but it's not London expensive. The winters are pretty bleak but it doesn't really get dark for about 6 weeks in the summer which is cool. If you hit a couple of days t-shirt weather at that time of year it's probably the nicest weather in the world.

And my maw lives there. Going to see her in a few weeks.

Yeah renting is pretty expensive here tbh. Depends what you're happy with as a commute distance. Where's the job (roughly) and how do you intend getting there (bus/car/bike?) On the other hand flats are generally quite big. It's a compact city so you can get from a to b pretty easily (except during August :mad: ). It's surrounded by really nice countryside - I can ride my bike for half an hour and be in the middle of the Pentland Hills feeling like I'm miles away from civilization. The weather's not that bad really - it's quite windy most of the time but it rains less than Glasgow.

My younger daughter is flitting to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks, to go to Napier Uni.

The list of links was compiled for her. (And the pub was one I thought she'd like. Though actually my experience of it is pretty ancient. I stand by all the other choices. And I regret the fact I can no longer add Avalanche records to the list).

Back
Top Bottom