Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Hundred 2024

QueenOfGoths

Fuck you Dave!
I know, I know!

But it is getting youngsters into cricket (it's the only cricket my 12 year old will watch. Though I think it's maybe the pyrotechnics and being able to shout "Burn Them!" when someone gets out that appeals to him)

And it is being shown on the BBC.

So, first matches today and Birmingham Phoenix were rather trounced by Oval Invincibles in the women's game. And similar seems to be happening in the men's match.

Is there anything more awkward in professional sport than the 'innovation' that white ball cricket has brought in of micing up players in the field, some of whom, let's face it, aren't the most articulate, to have conversations with smug former players, while they're trying to field.

'So what's the goal out there today Jake?'

'We want to take wickets and score runs... and er... '

Awful.

Is there anything more awkward in professional sport than the 'innovation' that white ball cricket has brought in of micing up players in the field, some of whom, let's face it, aren't the most articulate, to have conversations with smug former players, while they're trying to field.

'So what's the goal out there today Jake?'

'We want to take wickets and score runs... and er... '

Awful.
It is but tbf, I watched my first game yesterday and, who was it? Anyway one second the guy is chatting away, next he runs in and takes a great catch, then just carries on chatting nonchalantly like nothing happened.

I have mixed feelings about The Hundred. I get what the ECB are trying to do, but the way they've gone about the franchising aspect of it looks so cheesy. And it should be T20, not the 16.4 bollocks. And the TV graphics are terrible! Every year I pray that they change them but no, they stay the same.

Brilliant, England's test captain misses a whole series because he's injured playing not-even-cricket. Slow clap for the ECB.

Brook looks a more natural leader than Pope. And is one of the first on the team sheet. Sticking with Pope though.

And I don't think you can blame the ECB for Stokes playing the Hundred. He probably earns a lot less than the players he captains in the Test team by not playing this nonsense.

Yeah, you never know. Maybe he can show us a part of the game he's any good at.

Ok, he can play short leg. I just don't think that should be the criteria for an England contract.

I don't watch the Hundred often but Brook is currently out there captaining some side and seems to be doing some fairly random Stokes-like stuff. I guess it wouldn't be a good look to demote Pope though.

So they're getting rid of the 100 ball thing. Reverting to traditional T20. And renaming all the teams after IPL teams.

But hey it's still gonna be called the Hundred... hilarious shit. Why not just call it the BPL. What does 'Hundred' have to do with it anymore?

Also not convinced by Pope as captain.

I think Sri Lanka will prove a sterner test than West Indies. Some high quality batters and useful seamers. Could be a very competitive series.

Back
Top Bottom