Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Great Underrated Horror Films Thread

I would also have to add Paperhouse. OK it's more suspense/creepy rather than outright horror, but there are a few moments which would make anyone's hair stand on end.

Definitely - one of the best British films of the 80s, and terrifying in a completely non-gore way.

White Of The Eye - only seen it once but it left a lasting impression of intense, seedy creepiness.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094320/

David Keith makes me feel very uneasy when I watch that.

Night of the Comet is another good one. The start reminded me of Dawn of the Dead remake and 28 Days but shot in middle-class America

Ooh, that's rather a fun one, isn't it?

As for underrated horror flicks not yet mentioned, how about Suture, that black and white one with Dennis Haysbert waking up in a hospital? More thriller than terror, but still very spooky.

Dellamorte Dellamore is a sweet little film about a sexton-cum-zombie slayer (Rupert Everett) who falls in love in inappropriate circumstances.

For slightly broader laughs and shudders, how about Street Trash, which is sort of a social satire on tramp juice-style strong liquor, with The Stuff-type SF elements.

Any fans out there of The Serpent and the Rainbow? Crap ending - almost an action hero flick - but fucked up through the middle kitchen.

GS(v)

That looks OK, might check that and Suture that dave mentioned above. As I expected The Sentinel was crap & only made watchable by the fact I found lead actress Christina Raines utterly gorgeous.

If i was gonna recommend one it would be 1980 haunted house film The changeling (nothing to do with the A.Joli film earlier this year) , not sure if counts as underated but I''d certainly never heard of it before this year.

I love Evil Dead-type comedy horror and the best one ever made in recent years, I reckon, was called The Convent - tag line: Nuns. Guns. Gasoline. :D Best tag line ever!

I haven't seen it for years but I remember Matthew Lillard (was it? from Scream and Scooby-Doo) getting a blowjob from a zombie but because he's on acid just thinks she's "all demonic, and shit" just before she bites his cock off :) a great film!

Any fans out there of The Serpent and the Rainbow? Crap ending - almost an action hero flick - but fucked up through the middle kitchen.

GS(v)
What happens when you post from your phone :oops:

GS(v)

Def By Temptation,a blaxploitation vampire effort notable for a close up of the word "Pray" scratched into a pillar in a train station. Pray was an NYC bag lady who wrote the word wherever she went.

I'd also like to mention Candyman. Not because it's neglected/underseen etc, but because it's so much more of a substantial film than you might expect. It's very intelligent, and you never really quite know whether Candyman really exists or if the main character is slowly going insane. And it's great to see a US horror film which focusses on the underbelly of US life rather than glitzy suburban teens. I remember when I watched it thinking just this, and how how how superior it was to the likes of Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm St etc

I'd also like to mention Candyman. Not because it's neglected/underseen etc, but because it's so much more of a substantial film than you might expect. It's very intelligent, and you never really quite know whether Candyman really exists or if the main character is slowly going insane. And it's great to see a US horror film which focusses on the underbelly of US life rather than glitzy suburban teens. I remember when I watched it thinking just this, and how how how superior it was to the likes of Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm St etc

It was alright but I wanted to see more of cabrini green.

The original "The Haunting of Hill House" from 1963 (rather than the bag 'o' shite 1999 remake with Catherien Zeta Whatsit) is super creepy.

There's also a really good old horror film that centres around someone passing a spell to you without you noticing and then a terrible beast coming for you. Great scene on a train at the end where the main bad guy is trying to pass the spell to the hero and he's trying to avoid taking it. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called :confused:

As has been pointed out it is Night of the Demon.:)

In 1979 the M R James story, Casting the Runes, was also used as the basis for an ITV Playhouse film titled Casting the Runes. As 1970s low budget made for TV horrors go it is really quite alright. Almost forgotten rather than underrated and interesting, quite good and somewhat dated rather than great. But since Night of the Demon had been mentioned....

I still rate a lot of the old Hammer films but they are not really underrated.

For this thread I nominate City of the Dead 1960 which features Christopher Lee. It is dated sure, but it has dollops of monochrome eariness, and fog. Released on dvd by the Redemption-Salvation lot (you can get all the Jean Rollin films from them too). Christopher Lee plays a proff who encourages a young female student to research her thesis on witchcraft by seeking first hand material in a fog drenched village with a history and she doesn't return...

For this thread I nominate City of the Dead 1960 which features Christopher Lee. It is dated sure, but it has dollops of monochrome eariness, and fog. Released on dvd by the Redemption-Salvation lot (you can get all the Jean Rollin films from them too). Christopher Lee plays a proff who encourages a young female student to research her thesis on witchcraft by seeking first hand material in a fog drenched village with a history and she doesn't return...
woop woop
City of the Dead (1960) is much creepier than most films of its era, helped by Christopher Lee.
alas, my DVD copy has the *shitter* American title "Horror Hotel"

Interesting that the living legend that is Christopher Lee is still such a star these days. Glad to see he's still pootling along with LOTR and the newer Star Wars bringing him a younger audience.

*****Christopher Lee Trivia Alert*****​

1. Christopher Lee, along with having a predilection for playing villains, is also the nephew (by marriage) of James Bond creator Ian Fleming. Which probably didn't hurt when he went up for the role of 'Scaramanga' in 'The Man With The Golden Gun.'

2. He's recently become Sir Christopher Lee, having been knighted for his services to entertainment and his charity work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...r-Lee-thanks-Mandrake-for-his-knighthood.html

3. He has a marked dislike of modern 'gore horror' films and doesn't tend to watch them if he can avoid it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/27/christopher.lee.horror/

Interesting that the living legend that is Christopher Lee is still such a star these days. Glad to see he's still pootling along with LOTR and the newer Star Wars bringing him a younger audience.

*****Christopher Lee Trivia Alert*****​

1. ....

3. He has a marked dislike of modern 'gore horror' films and doesn't tend to watch them if he can avoid it.

He also says he never really approved of the Hammer Horror Dracula series. He was disappointed that the first one didn't follow Bram Stoker's plot and became increasingly irritated by subsequent plots. He says he only agreed to do them because he was invariably told it was all ready to go, the funding would be withdrawn if he didn't do it and a lot of jobs were dependent on him saying yes. He certainly thinks that he had easily paid Hammer back for making him an international name in the first film when he did the first two sequals filmed back to back some years later. He tried desperately to shake the Dracula typecast and was not best pleased when news of his knighthood was predictably reported with the headline 'Sir Dracula'. He also thought the blood and nastiness in the Hammer Dracula series went too far (remember there were attempts to ban Dracula and Frankenstein - in which Lee played the Monster and the hoo ha that followed these two films led to the introduction of the X adult rating in British cinema).

He did, however, seriously approve of The Wicker Man and was horrified when it was chopped up and killed off as a B movie and then quite chuffed with its resurrection and the locating of the old tapes.

However, a former secretary who worked for him a bit thought him a pompous arse.

He was back on form with his reaction to the LOTR films when he voiced his irrritation at the cutting of some of his scenes.

He played a robot (I think it was from memory) in one episode of the Avengers.

Back
Top Bottom