Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On) - Talking Heads
One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Shack Up - A Certain Ratio

Average White Band:

Pick up the Pieces
Cut the Cake
Schoolboy Crush

Although plenty of other tracks and artists are high on my list...

Brian.T said:
Average White Band:

Pick up the Pieces
Cut the Cake
Schoolboy Crush

Although plenty of other tracks and artists are high on my list...
Quality trivia fact: Archy Kirkwood (an early member of the average white band) went on to become a Liberal / Lib Dem MPs for about 30 years and has recently retired / become a Lord.

Photo here

Back OT - surely it has to be something by Stevie Wonder, but I'd put in a bid for Sergio Mendes And Brasil '77 doing Superstition as funkiest cover... :cool:

dirtysanta said:
Surely,

Soul Searchers - Ashleys Roach Clip

Yes! definitely in my list :D Frikkin' excellent.

Along with

"Got Made Me Funky" by the Headhunters

and maybe

"Just Kissed My Baby" by the Meters

[i like the slow ones; think it's harder to get the funk at faster tempos, tho' obviously James Brown/the JB's are pretty good at doing so]

Certainly those all used to get me grooving when I used to regularly go to a funk night, & no dis to stevie, but they all kick "superstition"'s ass imho.

Singer/bassist Alan Gorrie, guitarists Hamish Stuart and Onnie McIntyre, tenor saxophonist Malcolm Duncan, keyboardist/saxophonist Roger Ball, and drummer Robbie McIntosh comprised the original Average White Band lineup. When exactly was Archie Kirkwood in the band? I dont remember that name to be honest.

I cant believe that pick up the pieces was 1975! Doesnt seem that long ago to me. :eek:

James Johnson: Last Night on my Back Porch
Robert Parker: Barefooting
Otis Redding: Bama Lama

or, to put it another way,

Stevie Wonder: Superstition

On a more contemporary tip, the Armand Van Helden remix of Sugar Is Sweeter by CJ Bolland is one of, if not the, funkiest house track ever. The bassline gets me every time, simple yet devastating.

Aaron Neville - 'Hercules'
JB & Maceoooo - 'Soul of a Black Man'

As da man says...You can't fake the funk :D

I feel we ought to nominate a track from Dr. Dre's funky early 90s period. May I suggest his own "Let Me Ride" or Snoop's "Who Am I (What's My Name)"? OK they're all sampled but he not only preserves the funk, he funks it up some more.

stavros said:
I feel we ought to nominate a track from Dr. Dre's funky early 90s period. May I suggest his own "Let Me Ride" or Snoop's "Who Am I (What's My Name)"? OK they're all sampled but he not only preserves the funk, he funks it up some more.

Well they both sample Parliament's Mothership Connection.

It's scientifically proven that you can't 'funk up' the P-Funk. It's already waaaay off the scale!... :eek: :D

I don't think Dre ups the funk but he certainly doesn't detract from it. If we were to put together a mix CD we'd have to put a G-funk track on there and those two are as good as any.

Dask said:
Zapp - More bounce to the ounce

I'm sure I've mentioned this before: when I was a nipper, I was convinced Zapp were actually singing 'Move Out To The Alps'. :D

At the time, it seemed entirely plausible to me that a couple of brothers from Ohio would be singing all about relocating to a European mountain range... :D :oops:

Blind Lemon reckons Spank-A-Lee off Flood (Herbie Hancock).
Me, I'm with a Meters tune that I can't remember the name of :oops: neither can Blind Lemon...he's playing it on his guitar right now....

Mrs Magpie said:
Blind Lemon reckons Spank-A-Lee off Flood (Herbie Hancock).

Indeed. Hancock's a funky little man - Chameleon and Hang Up You rHangups are also great funky numbers - a lot of people would frown at Nobu being described as funky but I think it is.

Back
Top Bottom