Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Fall @ The Cartoon, Croydon - 4 nights!!

acid priest said:
I was there with isvicthere and alien nation last night - yeah, the band were on at about 10:30 after a lengthy art installation featuring cut-up/slo-mo footage of Freddie Mercury, Elvis and Kylie. Then, after further waiting (admittedly to Public Enemy, MC5 and Aphex Twin, which made it quality waiting) Smith was led to the stage by his entourage a la James Brown, which I found rather amusing...

They only played for about 45 minutes to an hour...apart from 'Dr Buck's Letter' and 'Touch Sensitive' it was a completely eyes down, everything-off-the-last-couple-of-albums, anti-greatest hits show. Which is the only way to keep it real TBH - and it kicked some fucking ass. :)

There was one point where Smith wrested control of the Korg from Eleni Poulou, but she seemed totally willing to surrender. Apart from that he seemed surprisingly co-operative with the band - even concerned - which contrasts with when I saw them at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth on the legendary 'Levitate' tour, Smith fiddling with the amp levels, trying to trip Tommy Crooks up with his own guitar lead and kicking Karl Burns' drumkit.

Kind of wish I'd booked for the final show now - I now can't bear the thought that they're playing another night only three miles down the road and I won't be there....

[/URL]

Yes, rock indeed it did! The high point for me was, well.... all of it except the "country tinged" one that had Eleni smiling at Smith's all-too accurate "drunk singing at wedding" stylings. :)

acid priest said:
Smith was led to the stage by his entourage a la James Brown, which I found rather amusing...

Did he also repeatedly fall to the floor and have to be revived by his entourage a la James Brown?

I was there last night - great great gig. The first two were a bit erratic i heard, but great stuff last night. Only a bit of minor fiddling with the guitar nobs and keyboard.

Not sure about that support act fella - grimacing Elvis and Freddie Mercury on a huge screen. Interesting idea, but could have been done better. Fall fans were calling him a cunt and shouting at him to fuck off.

Great DJ on the night - fucking loud though. Frank Skinner and Stuart Lee were there talking intensely with each other.

D'wards said:
I was there last night - great great gig. The first two were a bit erratic i heard, but great stuff last night. Only a bit of minor fiddling with the guitar nobs and keyboard.

Not sure about that support act fella - grimacing Elvis and Freddie Mercury on a huge screen. Interesting idea, but could have been done better. Fall fans were calling him a cunt and shouting at him to fuck off.

Great DJ on the night - fucking loud though. Frank Skinner and Stuart Lee were there talking intensely with each other.

Poor Stuart Lee getting lumbered with that freeloading unfunny fucker.

Back
Top Bottom