Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

Went to the Vietnamese Pho Bac. Some interesting flavours but not in love with the food. Very good service and reasonable prices, but wouldn't make the treck unless I had a good reason to do so. Puddings are very good, though.

Went to Bangkok Cafe last night in canton. Was nice but think next time I'd just order a load of starters as these were the biggest hit. Tom Yum soup.....mmmmmmmmmm

We had a bit of a gastronomic tour this week
Sat - The Canteen on Clifton Street - always good and great portions!

Sun - Ruthin Castle - It was good but not amazing and certainly not as good as any of the next 3 places and was more expensive!
1.jpg
Starters: Belly Pork with sour apple + Comfit pheasent, pheasent breast and caramalised red cabbage
Mains: Duck with dauphinoise potatos + Fillet of Lamb with stew and rosemary dumplings
Puddings: Assiette of puddings: Raspberry Cheesecake, Orange Creme Brulee and choloate and pistachio mousse + Taste of the Carribean: Homemade bounty, banana panna cotta and rum jelly

Wed - The Bell at Skenfrith - Really good but a bit try hard for me
1.jpg
Starters: Chicken and Caerphilly Tureen with spiced carroy chutney + Crab mousse, smoked salmon with red pepper sorbet and avacardo
Mains: Pork Belly with butternut squash, champ and seasonal veg + Rack of Lamb, Confit lamb, lambs kidney with crushed peas and sauted potatos
Pudding: Vanilla Panacotta with strawberry jelly, basil sorbet and cracked black pepper caramel + Passion Fruit cream with coconut jelly, mango and cardamon sorbet

Thurs - The Fox Hunter at Nantyderry - really good food and a lovely atmosphere.
1.jpg
Starters: Mushrooms with garlic, capers and parmesan on toast + Smoked halibut on scrambled eggs with dill and brushetta
Main: (Both had the same) Roast Hake stake, sauteed potatos, piquillo peppers, chorizo and watercress
Pudding: Cheesecake cream and poached strawberrys + Lemmon Posset and cantucci biscuits

Fri - The Hardwick - Best by a long way, defo one of the best places I've ever been to!
1.jpg
Starters: Crispy breadcrumbed pork belly and black pudding with apple mustard sauce and pickled fennel + Pan fried ravioli of goats cheese with brown butter, beetroot and watercress
Main: Bah Bah Black Sheep - A taste of local organic lamb; Roast loin, merguez style sausage, Faggot and braised neck, shepherds pie and crispy breadcrumbed leg - to share
Puddings: Creme brullee + Homemade Apple sorbet, vanilla ice cream and pineapple sorbet
The pork belly starter is defo one of my fave dishes ever!
Anyway we're right stuffed and probably put on a stone and spent a fortune - good birthday week for me though!
:D

We had a bit of a gastronomic tour this week
Sat - The Canteen on Clifton Street - always good and great portions!

Sun - Ruthin Castle - It was good but not amazing and certainly not as good as any of the next 3 places and was more expensive!
View attachment 19365
Starters: Belly Pork with sour apple + Comfit pheasent, pheasent breast and caramalised red cabbage
Mains: Duck with dauphinoise potatos + Fillet of Lamb with stew and rosemary dumplings
Puddings: Assiette of puddings: Raspberry Cheesecake, Orange Creme Brulee and choloate and pistachio mousse + Taste of the Carribean: Homemade bounty, banana panna cotta and rum jelly

Quite a week.

Out of interest, were you full up when you left Ruthin castle, or did you have to stop for chips on the way home?

We didn't stop for chips but no I wasn't particularly stuffed!
Mind you that's probably not a bad thing sometimes.

Six Flavours in City Road is underrated. Vegetarian curries are the best there. Went in a group of eight today and we had a few of the starters, followed by a variety of mains, and then all the puddings. Everything is proper hot but tasty at the same time. Vegetarian curries, specially with cottage cheese or aubergine really shine. Egg curries very good as well. Also, it is one of those where you bring your own drinks and there are no set menus, so we stuffed ourselves for about eight or nine quid (they probably got a twenty pound tip, though!).

Noodlebox Cardiff, Salisbury road, Cathays
happened again! :mad: :(
really gutted, disappointed + sick to find chicken in Vegi noodlebox for 2nd time. once a mistake, twice is careless :( shame

last time they were really apologetic, genuinely concerned and mortified. refunded and gave us a free replacement so forgave them. this time offered a replacement but didn't seem that concerned.

gutted.

DO NOT! DO NOT! GO to el paso on City road Cardiff, was throwing up violently after going there the other night and still feel weird
seemed like frozen peas and carrots not cooked properly that made up most of it :(

DO NOT! DO NOT! GO to el paso on City road Cardiff, was throwing up violently after going there the other night and still feel weird
seemed like frozen peas and carrots not cooked properly that made up most of it :(

That's a shame, it used to be great in the 90s.

partner was ok but thought food was grim
maybe it was the hygene, was a bit dusty in there

The old butchers in menai bridge is well worth a visit if anyone is in anglesey or north wales. It was a fantastic fine dining experience and the service was attentive and relaxed. The free dishes in between the main courses made it all the more special.

el paso's food was shite when i tried it 10 years back. dunno why you were faffing with noodlebox ddraig, tenkaichi ftw :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom