Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The depressing growth of people with substance dependency on the streets of Brixton

editor

hiraethified
I haven't seen things as bad as this since the 90s. Crack seems to be the main drug of choice and I've seen some pretty grim sights walking home at night, mainly on Atlantic Road by the station.

I doubt if this appalling government, austerity, the cost of living crisis and the cutbacks in social services has helped much either...

Yet to be announced but Action on ASB have a public meeting on 27 March, venue central Brixton TBC. Remarkably, yet also unsurprisingly, at the last meeting it emerged that there was inadequate coordination between police, council and mental health services. The police and Lambeth both acknowledged the need to coordinate more closely, especially with mental health services and have committed to produce a joint action plan for presentation at that March 27 meeting.

I haven't seen things as bad as this since the 90s. Crack seems to be the main drug of choice and I've seen some pretty grim sights walking home at night, mainly on Atlantic Road by the station.

I doubt if this appalling government, austerity, the cost of living crisis and the cutbacks in social services has helped much either...
It's become very visible all around central Brixton. Under the steps to the overground station, at the back of Argos, the bin area behind the Dog Star, in fact pretty much everywhere. It's almost like it's being allowed to happen 24/7. There's some very desperate people out there getting zero support. The cops don't even seem to bother any more.

Just to add that I don't really like describing people as 'drug addicts,' but I can't think of a better description...

"People in addiction" sounds better to me - putting the person first.

The council talks about "people with substance dependency".

I heard someone self-describe as "an addict".

But I don't think it matters much. It's about attitude more than vocabulary.

I walked from the train station through Electric Lane last Friday night, there were a couple of lighter flickers, then a couple more happily slumped against some shutters at the entrance to the market where Franco Manca was. I had actually expected there to be far more than that (as there usually is), I think the fact it was raining might have had an effect. I can't think of anywhere in London where such serious drug abuse is so open and blatant, these people do me no harm but you wonder what the impact is on those who live and work nearby, and not least to themselves.

Last edited:
Is this new?

When I was living in central Brixton would regularly hear arguements between dealers and users on Somerleyton road.

Users emptying the bins out on the pavement to find anything to sell.

I remember a meeting about Brixton Station road ages ago when shopkeepers were complaining about Pop attracting dealers.

Recently I have had dealers ask me if I want to buy anything.

I do not live in central Brixton now but agree its as bad now as it was years back.

Part imo, agreeing with the local shopkeepers, is making Brixton a go to late night destination.

This was done with no thought by Council about how it would affect local residents and small business who are not part of the "entertainment" industry so beloved by Council and Brixton BID.

TBF I'm glad I'm out of it.

The other issue is the blighting of Brixton Station road by Pop and the Network rail eviction of small business.

What was self policing area now has a lot of empty shops

And the sooner Pop is gone the better.

There is a lot of stuff in Brixton I can deal with.

What I'm not happy about with some of the recent complaints is that I do not find beggars or homeless a problem.

Yes I come out of tube and straight away got people asking for money.

Yes there are people sleeping out by tube station.

Unless they are causing real aggravation I do not want them targetted for removal.

It’s almost like if you slash the funding for drug support services, local authorities social services, the NHS and the old bill then issues around drug use and especially street drug use will massively expand.

Who could possibly have predicted that?

Fuck the Tories.

It’s almost like if you slash the funding for drug support services, local authorities social services, the NHS and the old bill then issues around drug use and especially street drug use will massively expand.

Who could possibly have predicted that?

Fuck the Tories.
The trouble is, the Labour Party will not commit to restoring public services.

The trouble is, the Labour Party will not commit to restoring public services.

I know. But still fuck the Tories who been in charge since Call me Dave set fire to the public sector.

Reactions: PTK
Things fluctuate and change over time. Remember the drug dealers hiding out in bus stops all the way from the tube station up to 'Kentucky corner'? Back in 2005 I often saw people smoking crack cocaine is virtually every doorway down my street. But after 2005 we did get a period of relative calm with less overt dealing and (public) smoking. However, the last few years have seen a real deterioration, particularly around Atlantic Road (though the Ritzy alcoves at the top of Rushcroft Rd now seem to have a permanent crowd living there). Also, the people do seem to be in a worse, more desperate state. The drug users don't really cause me any problems (so far), but they're not exactly an advert for the area either.

I'm definitely seeing more people around London in general looking really fucked-up on various substances, even here in leafy Finchley, over the last few years.

Action on ASB! are hosting a public meeting on 27 March at which Lambeth Council and Met Police have committed to present a new joint strategy to deal with the current spike in anti-social behaviour in Brixton. Thanks to editor for publishing details in this article as well as links to the ASB survey and GoFundMe.

Last edited:
A female friend of mine got attacked in Brixton Village recently and I had a clearly distressed woman screaming in my face as I walked up Atlantic Road two days ago.

Some friends now avoid walking by the closed arches on Atlantic Road at night because it's so grim there.

1709584752995.png

And this makeshift crack pipe was seen on Coldharbour Lane a few days ago.

It's definitely the worst I've seen it in decades.

A female friend of mine got attacked in Brixton Village recently and I had a clearly distressed woman screaming in my face as I walked up Atlantic Road two days ago.

Some friends now avoid walking by the closed arches on Atlantic Road at night because it's so grim there.

View attachment 414720

And this makeshift crack pipe was seen on Coldharbour Lane a few days ago.

It's definitely the worst I've seen it in decades.
How does a lollypop-stick work for smoking crack?

Heading for a bus at 8.30 Sunday morning with my little boy, more or less opposite the Electric and run into a guy covered head to toe in blood - like properly drenched - with a massive gash on top of his head. He was pretty dazed and incoherent and smelled boozy. Said he'd been mugged - although he was clutching a phone. He couldn't speak much English so I called an ambulance and waited for it with him. It was very quick!

I'm not very comfortable with just how normal it feels.

Action on ASB! are hosting a public meeting on 27 March at which Lambeth Council and Met Police have committed to present a new joint strategy to deal with the current spike in anti-social behaviour in Brixton. Thanks to editor for publishing details in this article as well as links to the ASB survey and GoFundMe.

Reminder of this meeting tonight.

7pm St Matthews Church (old Mass club)

Council and Met Police committed last year to develop a joint strategy for handling the rapid increase in ASB. This meeting will be the big reveal and hopefully an opportunity to feedback.

It's got even more Hogarthian in recent weeks, with some of the troubled souls walking into Brixton Village and making a nuisance of themselves or hassling people. It's desperately sad.

Reminder of this meeting tonight.

7pm St Matthews Church (old Mass club)

Council and Met Police committed last year to develop a joint strategy for handling the rapid increase in ASB. This meeting will be the big reveal and hopefully an opportunity to feedback.
I couldn't make it but I'd be happy to publish a report if you could send one in.

Incidentally, I called out some dodginess on the related Buzz thread

I couldn't make it but I'd be happy to publish a report if you could send one in.

Incidentally, I called out some dodginess on the related Buzz thread

Thanks!

I wonder if this has anything to do with an exchange on the Whatsapp group shortly before the meeting? Someone started bombarding the group with info about how to object to an unrelated planning proposal and offered a vague argument that this would prevent future ASB. Although they couldn't join the meeting they were planning to send someone with flyers to distribute. They were firmly but politely asked not to hijack this particular meeting which had long been planned and promoted as focussed on the new joint police/council strategy. After complaining about being made to feel unwelcome they were invited to stay in touch and contribute toward future meetings.

It was a great crowd. I'd be surprised if anyone had any genuine complaints about inclusivity.

Thanks!

I wonder if this has anything to do with an exchange on the Whatsapp group shortly before the meeting? Someone started bombarding the group with info about how to object to an unrelated planning proposal and offered a vague argument that this would prevent future ASB. Although they couldn't join the meeting they were planning to send someone with flyers to distribute. They were firmly but politely asked not to hijack this particular meeting which had long been planned and promoted as focussed on the new joint police/council strategy. After complaining about being made to feel unwelcome they were invited to stay in touch and contribute toward future meetings.

It was a great crowd. I'd be surprised if anyone had any genuine complaints about inclusivity.
They're now claiming to be a couple and their friend all living together and all connecting through the same IP address!

I very rarely venture to Brixton these days but when I do the contrast between the haves and the have nots is very very depressing. Off duty city boys swaggering past junkies on the street who in many cases can't even be arsed begging. They're just lying there. Not the place I used to love. Glad to have escaped.

Back
Top Bottom