Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Corona Arms Pub Quiz

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
I know you've been missing them.

From our weekly pub quiz, 25 questions where the answers form a theme. You may have to run two or three answers together to get the themed answer (if you see what I mean) and there may well be some dreadful soundalikes. Regular features of our quizzes include morse code, a crossword style clue and a Dead Nazi. So be warned.

We also always start with just the pictures for you to ponder over for a while before the quiz actually starts, so here they are.

Pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg

PLEASE POST UP YOUR ANSWER TO Q25 IN THE THREAD, IN SPOILER TAGS tonight, then we'll just post em all up tomorrow

Last edited:
I'll sort out the music in a mo...

1. In what story did Sherlock Holmes make his first appearance?

2. Picture 1: what’s the name of the plant and also the name of the colour of the flower? According to Greek myth the water nymph Clytie transformed into this plant after failing to win the love of the sun-god.

3. What can go before music, suit and lizard?

4. Picture 2: what’s that?

5. What can mean a disadvantage; an untrustworthy person; or, in a more modern way, a meeting of people with similar interests?

6. In computing, what is a program or device that provides functionality for client programmes or devices, for example sharing data or resources amongst multiple clients?

7. Music: what’s the occupation being celebrated in this piece of music, as referred to in the popular name for the song?

8. Morse code: . - - . [dot dash dash dot] is which letter?

9. Picture 3: this dead Nazi was born in 1896 and joined the Nazis in 1922. He was chief administrator of East Prussia from 1933 and Reichskommisar of Ukraine from 1941, where his first act was to close the schools, as “Ukraine children need no schools. What they'll have to learn will be taught them by their German masters.” After the war he failed to escape to South America, evading capture until 1949 in Hamburg. He went on trial in Warsaw for war crimes and the extermination of 400,000 Poles in 1958, though was never indicted for his crimes in the Ukraine. He was sentenced to death, but the sentence was commuted due to his ill health or possibly because he had information about art looted by the Nazis. He remained completely unrepentant and died in prison in 1986 aged 90.

10. Crossword clue: Penalise eating posh grub [4,6]

11. What broad medical term describes chronic pain affecting the joints or connective tissue, covering a range of such conditions including arthritis and regional pain syndrome?

12. What typographical symbol, also known as an obelisk or obelus, is, in modern usage, often used to indicate a second footnote on a page after an asterisk has already been used?

13. What’s the name of the prestigious rugby league tournament that culminates each year at Wembley Stadium? It began in 1896 and the title is currently held by the Warrington Wolves.

14. Which iconic Two Ronnies sketch was apparently inspired by a real incident in a hardware shop in Hayes?

15. Picture 4 – what’s that?

16. Lyrics: “Oh yeah, it was like lightning, everybody was frightening, and the music was soothing, and they all started grooving” – what’s the song title?

17. Picture 5 – what does that symbol represent?

18. Picture 6 – who’s that guitarist?

19. Published in 2000, what was the name of Anthony Bourdain’s book exposing the darker side of the modern restaurant business, subtitled “Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly”?

20. Blankety blank. This phrase originates from a nautical term, when seamen would check the depth of the water by dropping a weight with a marked rope to the bottom of a waterway. Lazy sailors would take their time over dropping the weight, as pulling it back up again was hard work; they were therefore said to be _ __

21. In sewing, what is a kind of trim or embellishment consisting of a strip of folded fabric inserted into a seam to define the edges or style line of a garment or textile object?

22. Music – what album is this track from?

23. In A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Titania’s servants are Peaseblossom, Cobweb, Moth and who?

24. Before they were famous, what job did these people have in common? Bob Hoskins, Michael Caine, Ozzy Osbourne, Joe Cocker

25. Make your accusation!

Last edited:
I've got 14 answers so far but now have to go play a game with my grandkids. What timeframe are you looking at here belboid ? Tonight? This weekend?

Edit 16 and out.

Nice quiz.

Hmm, not sure how to host the music...I can amend the second one easily enough but anyone any idea for a good host for the other?

I've got 14 answers so far but now have to go play a game with my grandkids. What timeframe are you looking at here belboid ? Tonight? This weekend?

Edit 16 and out.

Nice quiz.
mmmm, lets see how people get on tonight. How does this sound?

FOR TONIGHT: Just say in thread how many you think you've got, maybe submit me a list before 10am tomorrow, and I'll announce a winner from them, and then go on to just shouting out?

It's sisterb you actually have to thank for this, btw.

18 possibly 19 (but I don't understand the reference to the theme of one)

And I really do have to go play Ticket to Ride with the kids now.

Thanks sisterB

That was a serious question - tho I, belatedly, understand your laughter. We've got the US and Euro versions, I am tempted to buy the London one as well, meant to be good for two

And I've amended my suggestion for what to do tonight in the OP too, but I can see you're on that already.

If you/people wanted to do this as a live event in the future (don't have to turn your camera thingy on, but mic would be ideal, but can just chat too), then I can recommend: Jitsi Meet

You don't need to create an account or any shit like that, but it's very similar to zoom and no time limits, you can create the room name and a password, and just keep it!

If you/people wanted to do this as a live event in the future (don't have to turn your camera thingy on, but mic would be ideal, but can just chat too), then I can recommend: Jitsi Meet

You don't need to create an account or any shit like that, but it's very similar to zoom and no time limits, you can create the room name and a password, and just keep it!

cool. We've been doing in zoom, and ahve always ahd the time extended (9pm on a wednesday doesnt seem to be too busy for them), but not needing an account or download seems v groovy, as well as he privacy

That was a serious question - tho I, belatedly, understand your laughter. We've got the US and Euro versions, I am tempted to buy the London one as well, meant to be good for two

And I've amended my suggestion for what to do tonight in the OP too, but I can see you're on that already.

US one. Didn't know you could get London. Might have to get it now.

I had to look again at Q1 answer two hours after I'd written it
I've got about 12. Last night I had more but it's like doing a crossword without a pen; You can't recall the answer later and you have to do it again, but sometimes you can't.

Can we be in teams?

I've got about 12. Last night I had more but it's like doing a crossword without a pen; You can't recall the answer later and you have to do it again, but sometimes you can't.

Can we be in teams?
of course!

I think it's late enough for folk to just throw their answers in now - if I'm not about I suspect planetgeli has 22 of them, at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom