Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Batman (2022)

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I was impressed with Robert Pattinson in Tenet, and am looking forward to seeing him take on the role of the Cape Crusader. Initial reviews are in, seem to be very favourable of both the film and his performance. Anyone seen it yet?

2h 56m though :eek:

I'm intrigued by the reviews, despite this being the gazillionth itineration of a rather absurd character I have little interest in. It's been described as being closer to David Fincher's Seven or Zodiac rather than to a conventional superhero movie and I like Pattison a lot. Will probably wait till I can watch it at home though.

We want anti-shark spray. We want underpants over tights. We want dreadful pun one-liners. We want ineffectual uniformed henchmen. We want onscreen POW!s and KERRANG!s
Fuck all this shit with a hoarse fascist vigilante executing graffiti artists in a storm, we want mild peril in Technicolor Hollywood sunshine.
Is anyone in Hollywood brave enough to keep it light?

We want anti-shark spray. We want underpants over tights. We want dreadful pun one-liners. We want ineffectual uniformed henchmen. We want onscreen POW!s and KERRANG!s
Fuck all this shit with a hoarse fascist vigilante executing graffiti artists in a storm, we want mild peril in Technicolor Hollywood sunshine.
Is anyone in Hollywood brave enough to keep it light?
Last time they tried that, it didn't go down so well:

FC7A5D71-EE83-4E22-B38E-F20CBB9C7CF7.png4BD85B6C-2385-4021-AC52-D6C694BEBF4B.jpeg

Lots of the MCU movies are colourful, lighthearted and comedic, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Spider-Man and Ant-Man all fit the bill. On the DC side, Suicide Squad (the second one) was a blast and Aquaman is rather camp.

I'm fine with Batman being the glum one.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the reviews, despite this being the gazillionth itineration of a rather absurd character I have little interest in. It's been described as being closer to David Fincher's Seven or Zodiac rather than to a conventional superhero movie and I like Pattison a lot. Will probably wait till I can watch it at home though.
Feel much the same. I'm not into the whole superhero genre in general (find it really dull) but I do wonder whether this might be worth catching. (I did quite like the first couple of Christopher Nolan ones). And Batman is at least vaguely more interesting than bloody Superman. :rolleyes:

Batman started out quite gritty. Like this from around 1940:

Batman-1-Machine-Gun.jpg

Bob Kane and Bill Finger's editor, Whitney Ellsworth, made them tone it down - no guns, no killing - as comic book violence was already causing controversy. It was the introduction of the Comic Book Code in 1954, during the moral panic about comics following the publication of Seduction of the Innocent, that led to Batman becoming lighthearted fun with weirdness like Bat Hound and Bat Baby. It was that lightheated Batman that carried over into the 60s TV series.

The 80s Batman - Dark Knight Returns, Year One - was a return to the original moody Batman and that's what most filmmakers have been trying to capture ever since. Usually with disappointing results. I don't think any of them have managed to get it quite right yet.

Batman started out quite gritty. Like this from around 1940:

Batman-1-Machine-Gun.jpg

Bob Kane and Bill Finger's editor, Whitney Ellsworth, made them tone it down - no guns, no killing - as comic book violence was already causing controversy. It was the introduction of the Comic Book Code in 1954, during the moral panic about comics following the publication of Seduction of the Innocent, that led to Batman becoming lighthearted fun with weirdness like Bat Hound and Bat Baby. It was that lightheated Batman that carried over into the 60s TV series.

The 80s Batman - Dark Knight Returns, Year One - was a return to the original moody Batman and that's what most filmmakers have been trying to capture ever since. Usually with disappointing results. I don't think any of them have managed to get it quite right yet.
That's really interesting, Spandex. The Comic Book Code, who knew? :eek:.

Last time they tried that, it didn't go down so well:

View attachment 313019View attachment 313020

Lots of the MCU movies are colourful, lighthearted and comedic, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Spider-Man and Ant-Man all fit the bill. On the DC side, Suicide Squad (the second one) was a blast and Aquaman is rather camp.

I'm fine with Batman being the glum one.
Aye, loved The Suicide Squad - it hits all the right spots for me in a superhero flick.
Quite enjoyed Guardians Of The Galaxy the second time I saw it. Antman fared better with me and I enjoyed the Deadpool movies more than I should.

Aye, loved The Suicide Squad - it hits all the right spots for me in a superhero flick.
Quite enjoyed Guardians Of The Galaxy the second time I saw it. Antman fared better with me and I enjoyed the Deadpool movies more than I should.
I found the Deadpool films a little too pleased with their own edginess, I thought The Suicide Squad did a irreverent take on the genre better. I've got The Peacemaker lined up, the spin-off tv series.

I found the Deadpool films a little too pleased with their own edginess, I thought The Suicide Squad did a irreverent take on the genre better. I've got The Peacemaker lined up, the spin-off tv series.
Is that the John Cena character? The conceited one? I’d watch that
(a Weasel tv series needs to be made though)

Weasel was my favourite character in the movie. I saw it at the cinema and it was so much fun laughing with an audience at its antics after a long lockdown

I decided to myself after Blackpanther that I was done with Superhero movies for good. But I do kinda want to see this. I enjoyed the Dark Knight and Joker and this looks like a similar vibe.

Still, fuck nearly 3 hours - it’s longer than TDK!

I liked the procedural element of it but it just runs out of steam at the end of the hunt when Riddler enters the conversation. Paul Dano is shite in the role and just screams his words, no real menace. From then on it becomes more action-y but this doesn't work as well compared to Nolan's set pieces.

They should have kept it as a singular procedural-first emo-character piece. Would have mirrored The Joker well that way but... dollars

couldn't even get a twitch for this tbh, another batman film. Hold me back. That said, I saw a few photos in an an article praising the film for going back to a proper baroque decayed gotham look so maybe I'll end up torrenting it just to look at that.

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was a bit slow. You could take 45 minutes off the run-time if you cut back a little on the brooding. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it reminded me of those movies that are mostly people walking around looking edgy to music.

I liked that this was Batman being what Batman is supposed to be. A detective. It’s defiantly more of a thriller than a superhero film. Although I agree with Yuwipi Woman in that it could probably have been 45 minutes shorter. The ending really drags on and on.

Also just go see this in any screen. No part of it is filmed with IMAX cameras so you’re wasting your money. Also the fact the whole film is practically dark that any fancy screens or HDR bollocks is pointless. It would have been nicer if there was a bit more light allowed in. Even in what few day scenes there were but I get the whole shadows thing with Batman but this was very monotone colour palette wise.

Overall despite those nitpicks it’s probably a decent 7.5/10

Seen some very good reviews so I might watch this at home sometime, not going to go to the cinema for a Batman movie almost as long as Dr. Zhivago.

Back
Top Bottom