Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Audiobooks Recommendation Thread

spanglechick

High Empress of Dressing Up
There have been several attempts at establishing audiobook threads over the decades, but none seem right for successful bumping. (Sorry Badgers ).

I realised a few years ago that I’d more or less stopped reading books. I blame my phone and you lot. Around that time I realised that of my friends who were reading, most were doing so on their commute... but that would make driving a bit, umm, smashy - so not an option. However I then had a long solo drive (Sheffield and back) scheduled so I bought a couple of audiobook CDs. I liked them, and joined Audible - which is expensive compared to Netflix (because you only get one book a month), but I hope maybe this means the writers are being paid like they would if I bought an actual book.

Anyway, it’s mostly been great. I listen on drives, doing the grocery shopping, and recently have started listening while cooking or cleaning.

Anyone want to recommend some audiobooks?

I have a mix of stuff.

All the Hitchhikers Guide books and most the spin offs.

I do often buy stuff that is value (hours) for money using my one monthly credit. The complete works of Sherlock Holmes is my favourite but there are lots that are great value if this ilk.

Jane Austin complete works was 76 hours for 99p iirc. Not something I would rush to buy normally but enjoyed it given the cost.

Game of Thrones books are 30-40 hours plus each. Lord of the Rings is great value too.

Sandi Toksvig's self read autobiography is excellent. As is David Niven and lots others.

I have stuff like Bryson and Watership Down for bedtime listening :)

You can get them from the library too you know?

I have a mix of stuff.

All the Hitchhikers Guide books and most the spin offs.

I do often buy stuff that is value (hours) for money using my one monthly credit. The complete works of Sherlock Holmes is my favourite but there are lots that are great value if this ilk.

Jane Austin complete works was 76 hours for 99p iirc. Not something I would rush to buy normally but enjoyed it given the cost.

Game of Thrones books are 30-40 hours plus each. Lord of the Rings is great value too.

Sandi Toksvig's self read autobiography is excellent. As is David Niven and lots others.

I have stuff like Bryson and Watership Down for bedtime listening :)

You can get them from the library too you know?
Yes. I have audible. I have the Sherlock Holmes collection for the same reason. So many hours!

Alan Moore's Jerusalem is in the sale - 60hours long Badgers !

We're currently listening to Mary Trump's book, Too Much and Never Enough. Quite enjoying it.

I'm going to cancel my Audible subs soon - I have loads of audiobooks I haven't listened to - I need to play catch up and I've already had a pause in subscription and I think you can only have one of those.

I have listened to a lot of audiobooks.

I can recommend the audible version of A Brief History Of Seven Killings. The book is structured so that different characters are used chapter to chapter, and with several voice actors it's less easy to get lost than the printed version.

It can be a bit harsh though, what with the killing and all.

Another fave is Suttree read by Michael Kramer, it can be found on youtube.

If you're into him I enjoyed Alan Partridges Nomad and he has a new podcast coming out soon. I've struggled with anything that isn't light or comedy based in audiobook format.

Podcasts and Audiobooks have stopped me listening to music and mostly reading books. It is a change but (as an older gentleman) I prefer it.

Boy - Roald Dahl was a recent winner

Also Audible do a lot of free 'podcast style' short stories/series as part of the subscription. These are hit and miss but enough free quality content to keep you occupied and make the subscription pay off a bit more.

I have never actually paid full price for an audiobook.

Yes. I have audible. I have the Sherlock Holmes collection for the same reason. So many hours!
Which version do you have Spangles?

First one I got was (71 hours) read by Stephen Fry which was very good with excellent intro and background.

Then someone here on Urban recommended the other narrator which I agree is better (58 hours) than the Fry read.

IMG_20200809_210724.jpg

I did a few Iain M Banks books back when in the spring when I was going out for exercise every day. Nice long books. Very good for improving concentration. I like books with lots of characters and dialogue so you get your money's worth* out of the narrator. I listened to Shogun last year and felt for the poor bloke having to do several different female Japanese voices, all minor variations on high-pitched and foreign but not foreign enough to be offensive. I suppose they just record one character's dialogue at a time though or it would get confusing.

Also I like listening to them at slightly above normal speed. I can get up to about 1.3x standard speed before it's just too quick.

*not that I ever pay for them :oops:

I've listened to the complete set of Shardlake novels by CJ Sansom, all of which work well in the audio format, a few Agatha Christies, The Name of the Rose (my favourite book but has too many mumbled Latin passages for easy listening) and Wolf Hall, which is my cure for insomnia. Sends me to sleep in no time although I'm not sure that was what Hilary Mantell intended...

Anything narrated by John Lee.

He does the Audible versions of Alastair Reynolds books and a couple of history books I've listened to. Just has a great reading voice.

I've forgotten to cancel my Audible sub again so am currently listening to Thin Air by Richard Morgan. Hard boiled nwoir ish scifi, if you like that sort of thing.

Libra Vox is OK if you get a good narrator. The few I tried, were not. I attempted listening to Capital but it was being read by a bored sounding young fella with a cold.

Last edited:
OTOH I'm quite used to my various screenreaders voices so can happily listen to them reading an ebook. That's normally my preference. The audio versions of Game of Thrones I tried were awful. really American sounding. George Ah, Ah AH Maaaartin… It's medieval Europe, (ish) not Colarado...

I read quicksilver and should probably do the other two, not my fave neal stephenson but good anyway.

Only read a couple of his. I really enjoyed Cryptanomican. (another one from Audible IIRC.) Saw him live doing a talk at the Watershed here a few years ago. Was mostly worth getting absolutely drenched for on the walk there.

The best performance I’ve listened to is probably Ann O’Dowd who narrates her TV role from Handmaid’s Tale, Aunt Lydia as one of three voices in Margaret atwood’s The Testements.

A real example of the audiobook enhancing the written word.

This month insomnia stopper has been: The Boundless Sea A Human History of the Oceans. Over 40 hours so good value, no plot just history, so easy to dip in and out.

Anyone know a decent way for changing M4B to Mp3, tried VLC and it just converted it back to the original format and the ones on line won't deal with large file sizes.

Back
Top Bottom