Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The abandoned village of Imber

a slight tangent, but here seems as good as any - report of a visit to foulness, essex - not completely abandoned but very limited access

a slight tangent, but here seems as good as any - report of a visit to foulness, essex - not completely abandoned but very limited access

You can walk there, if you dare, on the most dangerous footpath in England. It goes along the coast, offshore and is tide dependant.

Another lost village is Tyneham in Purbeck, Dorset. I visited earlier and enjoyed it far more than Imber.
You can visit Tyneham year round, provide there is no firing. You can wander in and out of the buildings, there is history with them. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous and you can easily visit the totally undeveloped beach of Worbarrow or go further to Lulworth.

oooh! I've been to the checkpoint, and been turned away, but knew nothing of either the bus or, more interesting, the heritage center open days. It's going on the todo list, to join the walk on the Broomway which we've failed dismally year after year to book :(

Another lost village is Tyneham in Purbeck, Dorset. I visited earlier and enjoyed it far more than Imber.
You can visit Tyneham year round, provide there is no firing. You can wander in and out of the buildings, there is history with them. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous and you can easily visit the totally undeveloped beach of Worbarrow or go further to Lulworth.
Yes , I mentioned this 13 years ago on this thread 😀

Read a story today about what was possibly the last burial at the village church - some chap who'd lived there. MoD gave permission for the burial to take place.

What may be the last funeral in Imber of a former resident will be taking place in January

Read a story today about what was possibly the last burial at the village church - some chap who'd lived there. MoD gave permission for the burial to take place.

forgot to post sooner - imber bus day is this saturday (17 august 2024)

Back
Top Bottom