Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 70s New York proto-punk scene (Velvet Underground, Television, Ramones, NY Dolls, Blondie)

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
Watched a really interesting (but super-long, 3.5hrs!) documentary on Amazon Prime over the last couple of evenings:

Punk Revolution NYC is all about the Andy Warhol-inspired DIY proto-punk scene in New York between the late 60s and late 70s; from the Velvet Underground and Television to Blondie and Talking Heads, via the Ramones and NY Dolls. So now my Spotify playlist is full of classics like Marquee Moon, Patti Smith's Horses, and Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. :cool:

I never realised the track Marquee Moon was so damn long! :eek:

There's so much that's great about that book, from the just being a collection of primary source quotes, to things like Angie Bowie complaining about how dumb Bowie and Pop were when they got together.

My main take away from it was 'how the f*ck is Iggy Pop still alive'

Watched a really interesting (but super-long, 3.5hrs!) documentary on Amazon Prime over the last couple of evenings:

Punk Revolution NYC is all about the Andy Warhol-inspired DIY proto-punk scene in New York between the late 60s and late 70s; from the Velvet Underground and Television to Blondie and Talking Heads, via the Ramones and NY Dolls. So now my Spotify playlist is full of classics like Marquee Moon, Patti Smith's Horses, and Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. :cool:

I never realised the track Marquee Moon was so damn long! :eek:

Sounds great.

Once Upon A Time In New York: The Birth of Hip-hop, Disco and Punk is the best music documentary I've ever seen if you are into that era. Was on BBC 4, doesn't appear to be widely available now but may resurface as a repeat or be trackable down elsewhere.

567afc25d29502948974c944ab3b52110e9aff82.jpg
Ramone at home

Death: Politicians In My Eyes

Listening to this and some of the riffs, I wonder if Joy Division heard their rare album back in the day and got a bit of inspiration.

Proto-punk rather than just NY btw.

Back
Top Bottom