Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thank You Games Makers

Maltin

A video celebrating the tremendous effort the volunteers have made at these games to make the experience better for all.

Whilst I'm not one for whooping or high fiving and therefore didn't interact with many in the park, I felt they did a good job of creating and maintaining a happy atmosphere in and around the park and providing guidance to others all throughout London.

Well done and thank you to all those who were involved.

One need only say "no thank you I'm not american" :D

Despite all the very American high-fiving etc. and have a great day comments, they actually seemed to mean it, unlike people behind tills at places like McShitey's who you feel have been ordered to be nice and it doesn't seem sincere at all

Despite all the very American high-fiving etc. and have a great day comments, they actually seemed to mean it, unlike people behind tills at places like McShitey's who you feel have been ordered to be nice and it doesn't seem sincere at all

Don't get me wrong. I loved the atmosphere at the games and the volunteers are a big part of it and this is despite all the snouts in the trough of the international olympic committee the games works. Mainly it's just cause I just have a suspicion of high fiving. It is not something that i understand as a celebratory thing mainly cause I was not brought up with it nor do I frankly wish to become comfortable with :) <end minor bah humbug>

Don't get me wrong. I loved the atmosphere at the games and the volunteers are a big part of it and this is despite all the snouts in the trough of the international olympic committee the games works. Mainly it's just cause I just have a suspicion of high fiving. It is not something that i understand as a celebratory thing mainly cause I was not brought up with it nor do I frankly wish to become comfortable with :) <end minor bah humbug>

Oh, I'm with you. In fact, I have a feeling it may be the first time I've returned one myself :oops:

Anyway, now it's almost over, hopefully normal service will resume :D

With your cheery attitude and positive outlook on life, I'm surprised your application was rejected.
Being cheerful and positive doesn't mean you can't see people being taken for a ride (all of us being taken for a ride, in fact). If there were jobs that needed doing then they should've paid people to do them, and people shouldn't have accepted doing them for free.

Being cheerful and positive doesn't mean you can't see people being taken for a ride (all of us being taken for a ride, in fact). If there were jobs that needed doing then they should've paid people to do them, and people shouldn't have accepted doing them for free.

Who would pay them though? :hmm:

The Gamesmaker's knew they weren't going to be paid. It's not like the Job Centres forced them to do unpaid work is it

Plenty of them have said they'd do it all over again

Who would pay them though? :hmm:

The Gamesmaker's knew they weren't going to be paid. It's not like the Job Centres forced them to do unpaid work is it

Plenty of them have said they'd do it all over again
Well, LOCOG presumably, seeing as they were so vital to the success of the games. I just think it's pretty shocking that people collectively donated probably millions of hours of free labour to contribute to the success of something that is going to financially benefit a bundle of contractors and sponsors to a pretty handsome extent. There's a pretty damaging "something for nothing" culture in this country that the people at the top just love.

Well, LOCOG presumably, seeing as they were so vital to the success of the games. I just think it's pretty shocking that people collectively donated probably millions of hours of free labour to contribute to the success of something that is going to financially benefit a bundle of contractors and sponsors to a pretty handsome extent. There's a pretty damaging "something for nothing" culture in this country that the people at the top just love.

But where would LOCOG have got the money from? :hmm:

But where would LOCOG have got the money from? :hmm:
Same place they got all the money they handed out to do-nothing contractors? Tbf, I wouldn't have a problem with all this volunteering if people weren't making massive profits out of the whole shebang. Did G4S volunteer? Did McAlpine?

Isn't it pretty standard practice to have volunteers at an Olympics wherever it is? I know I saw an interview with one of the athletes talking about an experience with volunteers at Beijing and didn't Johnny C say something about when they were in Canada. I just assumed its part of the package.

Talking of high fiving, I am embarrassed to say I high fived a mounted police man on my way out of the park last week. I can only say that I was caught up in the moment.

The volunteers were absolutely awesome though and I am sure they feel proud and have experienced the games in a way noone else has.

Isn't it pretty standard practice to have volunteers at an Olympics wherever it is? I know I saw an interview with one of the athletes talking about an experience with volunteers at Beijing and didn't Johnny C say something about when they were in Canada. I just assumed its part of the package.

Talking of high fiving, I am embarrassed to say I high fived a mounted police man on my way out of the park last week. I can only say that I was caught up in the moment.

The volunteers were absolutely awesome though and I am sure they feel proud and have experienced the games in a way noone else has.

I saw a cop on a horse taking a photo of another cop on a horse with the stadium in the background. They looked embarrassed to be caught playing when they should be working :D

Precedent doesn't make it right though. Like I said, if the Games were not for profit it wouldn't bother me. But they're not for profit for the taxpayer, not for profit for the free labour, but for lots of profit for a select few.

Well yes, but it's hardly like that's ever going to change unfortunately :(

Most of the games makers were honoured and proud to be involved and be part of the Olympics and Paralympics. What they got out of being involved, money can't buy. I doubt many feel exploited.

i keep reading this as "thank you games master!" in the voice of some nerdy teen from the 90s. :D

You are a fool and I hope nobody on here thinks that you are speaking on behalf of any of the Gamesmakers. I was one, had my last shift on Friday, and was happy to give up my annual holiday to do it. It was bloody hard work, my feet are going to take a long while to recover from standing for hours on end but it's an experience I wouldn't change for the world. I'm never going to represent my country at running or jumping so I took the opportunity to do it this way. I feel sorry for you if you think the Gamesmaker programme was anything other than a complete success which was embraced by all who took part.

I was at the stadium last night and the cheer when the GMs were thanked is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. The feeling of utter happiness and pride I felt was indescribable. We've seen the best of British these past few weeks - why not celebrate that rather than bring it down?

You are a fool and I hope nobody on here thinks that you are speaking on behalf of any of the Gamesmakers. I was one, had my last shift on Friday, and was happy to give up my annual holiday to do it. It was bloody hard work, my feet are going to take a long while to recover from standing for hours on end but it's an experience I wouldn't change for the world. I'm never going to represent my country at running or jumping so I took the opportunity to do it this way. I feel sorry for you if you think the Gamesmaker programme was anything other than a complete success which was embraced by all who took part.

I was at the stadium last night and the cheer when the GMs were thanked is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. The feeling of utter happiness and pride I felt was indescribable. We've seen the best of British these past few weeks - why not celebrate that rather than bring it down?

you've completely misunderstood his point.

Sorry, you're the one giving free labour (during your annual leave, ffs!) to help enrich private companies and I'm the one who's a fool? At no point have I said or implied that you were exploited or hard done by. I'm just saying that it's ridiculous that people were volunteering to help rich people make stacks more money. It just seems utterly daft to me. I mean if you want to volunteer for something, why not volunteer for something that actually helps people with real problems?

Aside from anything else, there's plenty of examples of roles at the Games that were intended as paid work, and ended up being filled by volunteers. I know for a fact that the performers in the opening/closing ceremonies were originally supposed to be paid, for instance. That's what I mean when I say people shouldn't have accepted it.

I think it's a great thing when people volunteer of themselves for a cause, to help others, to make the world a bit less shit. But, in order to make a massive corporate profiteering exercise go off without a hitch? Hell no.

Sorry, you're the one giving free labour (during your annual leave, ffs!) to help enrich private companies and I'm the one who's a fool? At no point have I said or implied that you were exploited or hard done by. I'm just saying that it's ridiculous that people were volunteering to help rich people make stacks more money. It just seems utterly daft to me. I mean if you want to volunteer for something, why not volunteer for something that actually helps people with real problems?

Aside from anything else, there's plenty of examples of roles at the Games that were intended as paid work, and ended up being filled by volunteers. I know for a fact that the performers in the opening/closing ceremonies were originally supposed to be paid, for instance. That's what I mean when I say people shouldn't have accepted it.

I think it's a great thing when people volunteer of themselves for a cause, to help others, to make the world a bit less shit. But, in order to make a massive corporate profiteering exercise go off without a hitch? Hell no.

As it turned out I didn't give up my holiday as I was made redundant during the Olympics, but I'd have been willing to do it. I have also volunteered for my local hospice, the RNLI, a charity in Ireland which gives respite holidays to terminally ill children, another charity which enables disabled people to live independently...

The point I was trying to make is that we ALL gave up our time willingly. Nobody held a gun to our head, and I don't know that people would have been convinced of our sincerity had we been paid staff rather than volunteers.

People who think like you make me a little bit sad, but thank god you're in the minority.

As it turned out I didn't give up my holiday as I was made redundant during the Olympics, but I'd have been willing to do it. I have also volunteered for my local hospice, the RNLI, a charity in Ireland which gives respite holidays to terminally ill children, another charity which enables disabled people to live independently...

The point I was trying to make is that we ALL gave up our time willingly. Nobody held a gun to our head, and I don't know that people would have been convinced of our sincerity had we been paid staff rather than volunteers.

People who think like you make me a little bit sad, but thank god you're in the minority.
But Lo Siento's point is that while you and many others gave their time freely, there are others making vast quantities of cash for, very often, doing far less than the Gamesmakers.

My mum was a Gamesmaker, and I volunteered for the local council, but I did think they were bordering on taking the piss when they were asking unpaid volunteers to work 12 hour shifts, many of them rather boring, from what I've heard.

Criticising the overall structure does not undermine the excellent efforts of the Gamesmakers.

e2a:
I don't know that people would have been convinced of our sincerity had we been paid staff rather than volunteers.
That's an interesting point though. Like I say, it's more just the point that so many people gave up their time and effort for free, while others exploited that and the Olympics for their own profit. Yuck :(

one of my colleagues has turned up in his game maker uniform - he's off to the parade in a bit - we've all had pictures taken with him:D

Back
Top Bottom