Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thames/South Bank beach party?

Its not this lot,is it:

Let the seaside come to you during the Thames Festival at the South Bank beach, when the banks of The Thames are transformed by beach huts and a pop up cafe.

Thames beach
Brought to you by the Southbank Centre as part of its Festival of Britain 60th anniversary celebrations, the South Bank beach aims to bring all the sunshine and fun of the seaside to the centre of London. With artistic beach huts and the chance to catch a few rays of sunshine over your weekend, the beach is bound to be popular with all ages during the spring and summer.

Seaside thrills
The area outside the Southbank Centre along Queen's Walk is being transformed for the South Bank beach, where you can gaze at the 14 artist commissioned beach huts along the 70 metres of urban seaside. Head to the banks of the River Thames for a mini holiday by the seaside as part of the Southbank Centre's nostalgic celebration of Britishness.

If there's any kind of "official" arty nonsense going on right in front THE BEACH, I could imagine that the first few to ignore it all by turning up with generator, decks and bunch of clubbing casualties might be...... i dunno .... more frowned on, artistically, maybe? Or it might go the other way, and your party heads are seen as part of YBAWs (Young British Arty W***kers) and no-one dares tell them to stop. Offer someone like Tracey Emin enough booze that she starts swearing about margate and what a slag she used to be, etc, and she could be said to be on your side........

Giles..

i was part of the crew building the huts and laying the decking for the festival of britain, if you go party down there please admire our handiwork and don't fuck it up :)

the decor was done by the artists none of whom could qualify as "Young British Art Wankers" if their treatment of the tech crew was anything to go on...

Here's the email for tonight:
Thames Beach Party : Reclaim the Beach http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2404964496

Date / Time : 23rd April 2011 - 9.30pm onwards

Hello fellow beach revelers,

This Saturday. Better than the last one, and the last one was the kind of party that made everyone look forward to being really old just so they could impress their grandkids with the tale. This party will be the one those grandkids will have already heard about and lived through themselves via a brain meld with whoever had the best time. If this turns out to be you keep us informed and we'll make sure the brain meld mentors of tomorrow know where to come knocking.

The line up:

Tom Bobble - Dropping tunes so rare fat French gastronomes often lie in ambush eager to eat them. The kind of set everyone needs in their life. It'll make you happy.

The Boy Dan Good - He has the kind of Electro House that makes you want to move in next door and bake him a cake. His Electro House went up by the Ginger Bread House and all the cool kids stopped getting eaten.

DJ Phage - A mish mash of the best that can happen on a set of decks anywhere in Christendom. Jesus Christ tried to book Phage for his homecoming but then God demanded he be allowed to MC and everyone thought that was a bad idea because of his silly high pitched voice and they shelved it.

James Bolo - Just when you think you couldn't be any happier or enjoy music any more, in will come Bolo with some old school rave grooves that will throw a whole new level of bounce into your jumping and grinding and smiling and binding.

Millz - Him of the hills. It was important that we found someone to finish off a night of this calibre in true rocking and raving style. Millz was the natural choice.

Cheers all,
The Reclaim the Beach Crew.

I got distracted by the bright lights of Brixton, but if anyone's got any pics, it would be good to update the urban page (which comes top/near the top for 'Reclaim the Beach')

i was part of the crew building the huts and laying the decking for the festival of britain, if you go party down there please admire our handiwork and don't fuck it up :)

the decor was done by the artists none of whom could qualify as "Young British Art Wankers" if their treatment of the tech crew was anything to go on...
good work - i loved the beach huts and the bit of beachyjoy above the beach. tried to make sandcastles out of bollards/seats :D

I got distracted by the bright lights of Brixton, but if anyone's got any pics, it would be good to update the urban page (which comes top/near the top for 'Reclaim the Beach')
i can provide fuzzy cameraphone pictures, or my companion's got some comedy shots of me chasing a duck if you like? :D
i proved that, like a cat, i can sleep anywhere last night. including on a beach in the middle of a party :oops:

It's just a teensy wensy bit on the blurry side and - to be honest - is rather unrelated to the beach party!

That stretch of sand by the Oxo tower is called Dirty Beach by the group of artists who do the sand sculpting and clean all the litter off the beach. You can find out when the next party is going on by following the twitter feed DirtyBeachTV or going on the website http://www.dirtybeach.tv/

Back
Top Bottom