Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Technics deck repair cost question

stuff_it

Too skool for cool
Not directly music related, but I'm doing some work on a mate's decks and wanted to know the going rate for replacing the ground wire on a technics deck in the UK.

I'm good with electronics, but not done any turntable repairs for a very long while for various reasons.

And yes thanks of course I have both bits of the manual. ;)

Should be able to do in under an hour, plus materials. However much you'd charge is up to you I guess.

I'm charging £40/hour for minor "fix your computer" type stuff. In the Far West of Wales.

I reckon that'd have to be an absolute bottom line figure for doing slightly more complex stuff in the Metropolis, if that's any help.

I'm charging £40/hour for minor "fix your computer" type stuff. In the Far West of Wales.

I reckon that'd have to be an absolute bottom line figure for doing slightly more complex stuff in the Metropolis, if that's any help.
I'm way oop North these days, and it's a mate.

I know somewhere that will do a full stripdown and service of a 1210 for 55 quid, plus the cost of any parts.

So, less than that.

The cost of parts and £40/hr then. You need tools and expertise. Those came at some cost, and you haven't fully recouped those yet. Fact.
Their tools, no parts needed as ended up self earthing.

You should have seen the soldering iron they borrowed for me to do it with cos my mum threw out my soldering station...

abd2c19931f01e8be6295a8d094ad744.jpg

Last edited:
Their tools, no parts needed as ended up self earthing.

You should have seen the soldering iron they borrowed for me to do it with cos my mum threw out my soldering station...

abd2c19931f01e8be6295a8d094ad744.jpg
Ah, I think you missed my point. But it sounds like you're happy with the outcome of the transaction, and that's all that really matters :cool:

My decks need a service...I forget how old they are now but 30+ years in existence with everything working ok, not even a bulb blown is pretty impressive.
But the pitch isn't what it should be...it wavers half a bpm and it means my mixes aren't as right as they should be.

I've got a quote from Deck Doctor who seems to be the most popular go to guy in London. I expect I can get cheaper.

Ill post his quote below... Two questions:
Can the pitch be fixed without replacing the part?
Recommendations for someone to do the job in London.
Dds quote to follow....

A basic service starts at £90 per deck and includes full cleaning inside and out & lubrication of spindle and height adjuster if necessary.
On top of this the pitch will be checked as will all other working parts. It is always advisable to replace the pitch unit during a service as this will guarantee the accuracy of control that only a new unit can provide - All pitch units are now discontinued, I have a very limited quantity of MK2 pitches, if you wish to use these they add £60 extra per deck to the basic service costs, MK3 & MK5 pitch units add £50 per deck to the basic service costs.
To also upgrade the audio cables with a higher grade one and fit gold RCA connectors adds a further £25 per deck whilst this is being done the ground cable can be internally wired negating the need for the extra cable if this is something you would like done.
Any further parts required or desired are added at part cost.
ALL tonearms are now discontinued.
Brand new, old stock is available, an SL1210tonearm is a £300 part and an SL1200tonearm is a £200 part.

Last edited:
My decks need a service...I forget how old they are now but 30+ years in existence with everything working ok, not even a bulb blown is pretty impressive.
But the pitch isn't what it should be...it wavers half a bpm and it means my mixes aren't as right as they should be.

I've got a quote from Deck Doctor who seems to be the most popular go to guy in London. I expect I can get cheaper.

Dds quote to follow....

A basic service starts at £90 per deck and includes full cleaning inside and out & lubrication of spindle and height adjuster if necessary.
On top of this the pitch will be checked as will all other working parts. It is always advisable to replace the pitch unit during a service as this will guarantee the accuracy of control that only a new unit can provide - All pitch units are now discontinued, I have a very limited quantity of MK2 pitches, if you wish to use these they add £60 extra per deck to the basic service costs, MK3 & MK5 pitch units add £50 per deck to the basic service costs.
To also upgrade the audio cables with a higher grade one and fit gold RCA connectors adds a further £25 per deck whilst this is being done the ground cable can be internally wired negating the need for the extra cable if this is something you would like done.
Brand new, old stock is available, an SL1210tonearm is a £300 part and an SL1200tonearm is a £200 part.

It might be a bit of a trek for you, but I use dance2 in Guildford for repairs, so it might be worth asking them, they've always done us a solid.

It might be a bit of a trek for you, but I use dance2 in Guildford for repairs, so it might be worth asking them, they've always done us a solid.
Worth considering...
I THINK deck Dr comes to your home so that's a bit of travel money/ hassle saved.

I lived in Guildford.

Actual years of the place.

Just imagine :(

Moving to Coventry was like some sort of blessed escape.

I was about to mock, but google:

“Guildford Wetherspoons”

One of the search choices, high up is:

“Guildford Wetherspoons Stabbing”

Those stockbroker commuter towns aren’t what they use to be.

ringo, didn't you get yours serviced fairly recently?
I didn't get mine serviced, actually never have, but these are only ten years old.

I was going to get the Deck Dr to fix a power issue but he told me over the phone it was almost certainly an internal fuse which frequently goes and that I should get one cheap from Ebay and fit it myself to save me paying his call out charge.

He was right, it was cheap and took five minutes, so I think he was pretty generous with his knowledge. I don't know if he's the cheapest but he seems like an honest bloke, very well recommended, and he'll do a proper job.

Dds quote to follow....

Eek.

The pitch slide alone would be v unlikely to cause RPM variance.

And being direct drive, that then points straight to the motor. Can’t imagine that’s a cheap part. :(

I feel your pain... I was gutted selling my 1210s when broke. They are a treasured thing.

SL1210tonearm is a £300 part and an SL1200tonearm is a £200 part.

Fucking hell!! They used to be around £25 iirc and I’ve seen pairs of complete decks go for£700 recently

You’re better off replacing the arms with rega rb250s which go for about £150 in good nick second hand

Back
Top Bottom