Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tebbit relives "on your bike" moment.

NL created what could be described as a giant transit camp though external migration, now they, the condems want the 'indigenous' to move or leave the country.

It also shows that even genuine conservatives like Tebbit fail to understand how capitalism constantly uproots community and destroys tradition-thus undermining the social basis for conservatism in any real sense of the term.

It also shows that even genuine conservatives like Tebbit fail to understand how capitalism constantly uproots community and destroys tradition-thus undermining the social basis for conservatism in any real sense of the term.

A lot of Conservatives *do* understand this type of thing. As I've said before, Conservatism is at least as riddled with divisions and contradictions as the left, they are just better at hiding it.

Rod Dreher in America came up with the term 'crunchy cons' (yes I know- but he is an American :D) for those conservatives concerned about the impact of free market capitalism and big business on communities, families and the environment, in the UK the 'Cornerstone' wing of the party takes a similar line.

My mother got on her bike after my parents got divorced. We moved from a good secondary school in West Yorkshire, with the kids I'd grown up with, to a shit school in Bedford. One that taught almost exactly what I'd been taught the year before. (I have no idea why that happened.)

That school was a 'middle school', so next year saw me in another school and living in Milton Keynes. At this point I stopped bothering to make friends - after all, I expected to end up moving again.

Fast forward to sixth form. I had stayed in the same school long enough to settle down, but mother then got a job on the Scottish border. The school there said there wouldn't be any problem with my transfer, until there was and it was too late to do anything about it.

I spent my upper sixth sitting in Cumbria, in other people's classes, not learning anything and being ignored by teachers. Unsurprisingly, I dropped out and didn't get the unis I'd applied for. The school acted like it was all my fault even though I saw this coming a mile off and felt helpless to stop it.

When grannie had her angina attack, I was lucky to have moved back nearby. My parents were a three hour drive away.

Fuck these people who think it's ok to expect families to uproot for jobs. Economies have to be built for people- not the other way round.

- any typos are my tablet's fault. Touchscreens are harder to type with than I thought.

Fuck these people who think it's ok to expect families to uproot for jobs. Economies have to be built for people- not the other way round.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more.

- any typos are my tablet's fault. Touchscreens are harder to type with than I thought.

Nah, it's fine. Interesting story that makes the point very well. Shame some politicians don't read Urban :D

My mother got on her bike after my parents got divorced. We moved from a good secondary school in West Yorkshire, with the kids I'd grown up with, to a shit school in Bedford. One that taught almost exactly what I'd been taught the year before. (I have no idea why that happened.)

That school was a 'middle school', so next year saw me in another school and living in Milton Keynes. At this point I stopped bothering to make friends - after all, I expected to end up moving again.

Fast forward to sixth form. I had stayed in the same school long enough to settle down, but mother then got a job on the Scottish border. The school there said there wouldn't be any problem with my transfer, until there was and it was too late to do anything about it.

I spent my upper sixth sitting in Cumbria, in other people's classes, not learning anything and being ignored by teachers. Unsurprisingly, I dropped out and didn't get the unis I'd applied for. The school acted like it was all my fault even though I saw this coming a mile off and felt helpless to stop it.

When grannie had her angina attack, I was lucky to have moved back nearby. My parents were a three hour drive away.

Hey at least she wasn't a scrounger! *sarcasm*

Back
Top Bottom