Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Team building without the ick

TopCat

Putin fanboy
Too many team building excercises make things worse with a lack of sincerity and accumulated work to be done later.

Describe good team building events you have been on please so I can shamelessly incorporate the best into my work.

The best team building is just giving the team time off

“Crack this task early and you can fuck off early”

Develops a level of team building that a meditative sound bath weekend or naked paintballing could ever hope to achieve

That was why I loved working on the bins. Task and finish. Most motivated I've ever been in a job for money rather than passion.

Too many team building excercises make things worse with a lack of sincerity and accumulated work to be done later.

Describe good team building events you have been on please so I can shamelessly incorporate the best into my work.
Tbh the best ones I can think of all come from groups like cw, wag and mam

Anonymous crtisism via slips of paper at the end of an awful meeting. Well maybe not best. But most memorable. The acrimony went on for months with people looking at log books and thr like to work out hand writing.

I remember a back to basics survival type weekend where as part of it was taught to gut fish and cook them on a fire. I don't even like fish much, but the skill has come in handy a few times over the years.

But yeah. Unless everyone has similar intrests a tab at the bar is probably safest.

I did it agency when I left school and this was a massive perk!

Also, with task and finish, you have to be the best one on the team for that particular job, otherwise everyone is going home later. I worked on the bins before wheelie bins and my job was pulling out the bins to the end of the street. You had to be fast and focused. 20 miles a day, ten on friday and home by 11 ready to start the weekend. I fucking loved that job.

The only good ones I've been on is when we've gone to see something relevant to the job that's inspiring in some way, or had someone interesting come in to speak about trends in the sector or whatever - so there was a decent learning experience and a bit of debate. The ones where you do some terrible ice breakers and then try to solve all the company problems in tedious workshops with flip charts are pretty much always a waste of time.

Anonymous crtisism via slips of paper at the end of an awful meeting. Well maybe not best. But most memorable. The acrimony went on for months with people looking at log books and thr like to work out hand writing.

I remember a back to basics survival type weekend where as part of it was taught to gut fish and cook them on a fire. I don't even like fish much, but the skill has come in handy a few times over the years.

But yeah. Unless everyone has similar intrests a tab at the bar is probably safest.
And had some great boozy away days in a past job. But if that happened now I'd feel thoroughly pissed off and excluded cos I don't drink any more.

Escape room, especially since as soon as you finished you could get to a free lunch. I may have accidentally broken one of the games, turns out you were not supposed to be able to reach that key and no one expected me to superman through a hole.

The only good ones I've been on is when we've gone to see something relevant to the job that's inspiring in some way, or had someone interesting come in to speak about trends in the sector or whatever - so there was a decent learning experience and a bit of debate. The ones where you do some terrible ice breakers and then try to solve all the company problems in tedious workshops with flip charts are pretty much always a waste of time.

Best ones were when I did outdoor education and we got training from more senior folk and all went and did something like climbing. Normally the senior folk didn't get to use their advanced skills so often and were glad to share and be paid and it was all something we liked to do.

We canoed out to an island in the lake district once and camped. I got really drunk and spent hours talking about religion with my boss who was quite Christian. He took it quite well...

I work at a university - we took our whole team over to the music department for a couple of hours (25 of us in total), where we spent some time with a senior lecturer who gave us instructions on messing around with percussion instruments to create a calypso beat, then she did some guided musical meditation, before instruction us on how to make noises with our mouths in a pleasing way (singing).

All of the above sounded absolutely horrifying and cringeworthy when being explained to us beforehand, but it was the only option available for a couple of hours out of the office. Everyone came back raving about it, and it raised morale significantly for a day or two until we remembered how tedious our actual jobs are.

Escape room, especially since as soon as you finished you could get to a free lunch. I may have accidentally broken one of the games, turns out you were not supposed to be able to reach that key and no one expected me to superman through a hole.
Yeah we did one of them once. I enjoyed it, and my mate Jess turned out to be the most awesome problem solver under pressure ever.

However, the team Christmas Dinner afterwards resulted in one person storming out in a huff. Then realising she'd left her keys behind and had to shuffle back in awkwardly. :D Top day all round really. :D

I went on one about 10 years ago, it was my first week. We all had to get on this inflatable sausage shaped thing ( 4 people at a time) and get dragged around the ocean by a speed boat. The woman behind me flew off when we were out quite far, I "helpfully" tried to pull her back up and managed to pull her arm right out of her shoulder socket :oops:

I think the best one I've done was a day dressed up in gillies suits, out bush shooting each other with laser guns. It definitely levelled the playing field with the managers

Team events are all very well in theory but they do nothing to address any underlying issues within an organisation. So I find them to be artificial, quite frankly, and fairly pointless.

The most memorable team building day I had to go on involved a morning spent doing various tasks on an obstacle course to win points, then after lunch we spent he points on crafting materialstgat we then used to make large collage pictures. The original plan was to display the completed collages in the reception area of each office, however....

...there was not enough time allocated to complete the 12 pieces of each collage by the teams

...what was completed looked like the product of a toddler's paint by numbers session complete with mismatched colours and glitter and feathers. Honestly they looked appalling

The 'let's display these in reception " idea was dropped and never spoken of again. I think I was off sick for the next one.

Team events are all very well in theory but they do nothing to address any underlying issues within an organisation. So I find them to be artificial, quite frankly, and fairly pointless.

I mean this is a fair point. I only really want to go on a work event if I actually like my colleagues.

Back
Top Bottom