Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Talk to me about seitan

Crimble crumble.
Specifically, seitan powder. I have come into possession of over a kilo of it, has anyone got any tried and tested recipes? I know the basics, you have to mix it up with tasties and boil it in tasty stock. I'm terrible at throwing flavours together so I need a step by step recipe.

I'm thinking, seitan kebabs, seitan steak bolognese, seitan fry up, the list is endless. I don't have trouble thinking of what to do with it, just a bit daunted at the thought of transforming the powder into something I can actually cook with.

Thanks.

Now I've just had to make some. Salivating by the oven door, waiting for it to come out. :D

I bought some Seitan powder a while ago but the recipe I followed was quite laborious (it had to be made into a dumpling and then boiled in a broth before being cut into shapes). I made dumplings in a soup and fried some in breadcrumbs like I would a pork chop. It was ok but not that great and the extensive effort has put me off from trying it again since but that recipe you tried seem much more straightforward.

I bought some Seitan powder a while ago but the recipe I followed was quite laborious (it had to be made into a dumpling and then boiled in a broth before being cut into shapes). I made dumplings in a soup and fried some in breadcrumbs like I would a pork chop. It was ok but not that great and the extensive effort has put me off from trying it again since but that recipe you tried seem much more straightforward.
Yes, I was put off by the old complicated method too - the only difficulty with the Bosh recipe is obtaining all the ingredients in a crap small town :D I made it quite spicy, and we let it cool and slice thinly and put it in sandwiches, or chop into bigger pieces and add to a stirfry.

What is this?

It‘s a vegan food, some use as a meat-replacement to resemble chicken or pork. Seitan is made from wheat protein, either from a protein powder or by kneading flour into dough like you’re making bread, then washing away the starch with water, so all that remains is gluten. Flavourings are added, then it’s cooked by boiling in a broth for up to an hour, before being ready to become an ingredient in other recipes.

It’s generally a lot of work to prepare, and with the best will in the world, doesn’t taste as good as meat (I’ll get shot down for that, I’m sure). But the point is, unless you’re a veggie or vegan and still hanker after something that’s like meat, but isn’t, it might not be worth making.

It’s generally a lot of work to prepare
Not any more! It's easy and quick.

1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1tbsp Onion Powder
Pinch Black Pepper
1tsp Liquid Smoke
1tbsp Soy Sauce
3/4 cup hot Vegetable Stock

Mix dry ingredients together, add wet ingredients, stir until combined. Knead and stretch the dough with oiled hands, and place in oiled baking tray
Bake for 20 mins at 180˚C
Pour over half cup BBQ sauce (or maple syrup and more liquid smoke for 'fake-on' flavouring.
Bake for an additional 5 minutes, cool and slice.

Last edited:

1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1tbsp Onion Powder
Pinch Black Pepper
1tsp Liquid Smoke
1tbsp Soy Sauce

Mix dry ingredients together, add wet ingredients, stir until combined. Knead and stretch the dough and place in baking tray
Pour over half cup BBQ sauce (or maple syrup and more liquid smoke for 'fake-on' flavouring.
Is there not a gluten-free version?

My friend made amazing chorizo from seitan- could barely tell the difference especially in tacos with rice and black beans. He made vegan sour cream from cashew nuts. It was all delicious!

Ok, that doesn’t sound too bad, thanks moose. I probably have to try that version. :thumbs:
It's very weird when you're kneading it, not like any other substance I know :D I've edited the recipe above to remind you to knead with oiled hands, otherwise you'll be in a right mess :D

1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1tbsp Onion Powder
Pinch Black Pepper
1tsp Liquid Smoke
1tbsp Soy Sauce

Mix dry ingredients together, add wet ingredients, stir until combined. Knead and stretch the dough with oiled hands, and place in oiled baking tray

I didn’t get to try this yet as I’m awaiting my wheat gluten powder delivery, but just wondering if there’s a similar “easy seitan” recipe for something which would approximate chicken, rather than bbq pork? I want to swap out the chicken from a recipe which has panfried chicken tenderloins, so looking for a way to make seitan look and taste like that.

I didn’t get to try this yet as I’m awaiting my wheat gluten powder delivery, but just wondering if there’s a similar “easy seitan” recipe for something which would approximate chicken, rather than bbq pork? I want to swap out the chicken from a recipe which has panfried chicken tenderloins, so looking for a way to make seitan look and taste like that.
Well I'm the wrong person to ask as I haven't eaten meat since the late 70s, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows what it tastes like :D

Back
Top Bottom