Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Talk to me about floors (LVT)

kalmatthew

Lurker Extrodinaire
I've recently moved and having basically finished the decorating the next step is flooring. For downstairs and one room upstairs I have decided on a hard floor and almost certainly LVT.

What I can't decide is between glue down and click. Both would be professionally installed but not having to have self levelling compound put down does make the idea of click more attractive. However all the independent places around seem strongly against click. If I do go click. It will be with silicone around the edge rather than the extra bit of wood thingy.

Does the urban hive mind have any advice either way or horror stories about either?

I would get the installer you intend to use to look at how level the floor actually is.

any lumps / bumps / dips or slope ?

[The xxxts who installed some very slippery & large floor tiles in the kitchen here for the previous owners got the under-tile screed / adhesive so lumpy that there was a significant slope - enough that the mortgage surveyor thought the floor underneath had "heaved" ... sorting that out was "interesting" and involved a geologist to "prove" that the hardcore was chemically stable, so beware ! ]

We have click together flooring in the lounge, the bathroom and my office. The lounge was large so I had it professionaly done, the bathroom was done as a complete package by the company who did it.
With it being small I had a crack at the office myself. If you do it yourself it's worth getting an installation kit which mostly consists of plastic spacers to sure you leave an expansion gap around the edges and a plastic hammer for knocking them together. No problems with any of them, they are very hardwearing the one in the lounge have been down 17 or 18 years and still looks fine.

I would get the installer you intend to use to look at how level the floor actually is.

any lumps / bumps / dips or slope ?

[The xxxts who installed some very slippery & large floor tiles in the kitchen here for the previous owners got the under-tile screed / adhesive so lumpy that there was a significant slope - enough that the mortgage surveyor thought the floor underneath had "heaved" ... sorting that out was "interesting" and involved a geologist to "prove" that the hardcore was chemically stable, so beware ! ]
It's over marly tile although its an 80s concrete floor below that which seems fairly flat

We have click together flooring in the lounge, the bathroom and my office. The lounge was large so I had it professionaly done, the bathroom was done as a complete package by the company who did it.
With it being small I had a crack at the office myself. If you do it yourself it's worth getting an installation kit which mostly consists of plastic spacers to sure you leave an expansion gap around the edges and a plastic hammer for knocking them together. No problems with any of them, they are very hardwearing the one in the lounge have been down 17 or 18 years and still looks fine.
That's good to hear I have considered doing it myself but to be honest life is to short and I'm terbile at wood Butchery

Back
Top Bottom