• Owen Hargreaves

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • David James

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stavros

In tribute to the late Sven-Göran Eriksson, I've found a list of the players who received the most caps for England under his stewardship.

So who was the best? I mean both in an England shirt and generally. Number of choices possible in a poll on here prevent me from including Sol Campbell, John Terry and a number of others, so please pick one listed and then contextualise your choice in the reply if necessary.

I think a decent case could be made for Owen, Ferdinand or Rooney, but I have to go for Cole. By far the most consistent, and at a world class level.

ETA: I meant Ashley Cole, in case that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
Problem is they're all wankers apart from Joe Cole and Paul Scholes. I'm not even considering David James or Owen Hargreaves.

Gerrard? Lampard? Rooney? Beckham? I can't vote for these people in anything. Massive disappointments, as international footballers but, more importantly, as human beings.

Sven deserved better

Went for Ashley Cole. The list is a reminder of just how much more likeable England are now.
It's an interesting yet pointless discussion, of which of that list would get into the XI now. Cashley obviously, and probably Rio. I think Rooney and Kane would overlap too much, but a young Owen running past the latter would be very dangerous.

I based mine on if I could only have one in a side I was picking, I had to go for Steven Gerrard.

I'm going to say Beckham but I'm not voting just in case I need to delete this post after an hour of abuse.

Best striker of the ball in that generation. Illustrious career and always exciting to watch. Note that I haven't considered the wanker factor in my decision. It's purely football.

It's an interesting yet pointless discussion, of which of that list would get into the XI now. Cashley obviously, and probably Rio. I think Rooney and Kane would overlap too much, but a young Owen running past the latter would be very dangerous.

In a way I think Gerrard is the most interesting one in that he's the one who looks most out of date. The last hurrah of trying hard but essentially stupid British football. All those people who wanted England to get stuck in even if they lost in the first knockout round, he's the man.

You've got to look back at all of those in an England shirt and see it as a missed opportunity. Or maybe they were not that good anyway.

Last edited:
In a way I think Gerrard is the most interesting one in that he's the one who looks most out of date. The last hurrah of trying hard but essentially stupid British football. All those people who wanted England to get stuck in even if they lost in the first knockout round, he's the man.
The big problem was getting all those egos to play together.

I always held that Carrick should've been amongst the first names on the teamsheet. Two-footed and willing to sit deep and dictate, he was the closest England had to a Pirlo or a Xavi. If he'd been from one of the major continental countries he'd have had over 100 caps.

Going purely on what other pros have said, feels like it's between Scholes, Rooney and Cole (and maybe Gerrard... :hmm: ).

Honestly not sure meself, though.

Back
Top Bottom