Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Student loans if you've already had 2 years x student loan?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
I'm thinking of going back to study. But I've already had two years' of student loans back in the early 1990s.

That might not necessarily be a problem, because it's my understanding that people are entitled to up to four years of student loans. So I could potentially get two more years.

However, the student loans I had in around 1990-91/91-92 were the original style loans, which were written off about 10-15 years or so ago. I'd made some payments over the years, but I'd spent a lot of time out of work or in low paid jobs, and a few years overseas.

(I was originally studying engineering, but dropped out after my father assaulted me about six weeks before my end of year exams, so I went to pieces and flunked them. Long story, but I was a care leaver although my father had never been prosecuted for physical abuse because the social services hadn't followed their own procedures, according to a senior social worker. And when this happened, I'd asked the police to do something, but I'd been told that they wouldn't do anything unless it was 'attempted murder,' to which I responded that there was a fine line between attempted murder and murder and what happens if you don't get there in time the next time? Years later, I passed the first year of a self-funded part-time law degree, but I moved to London and I couldn't transfer due to course incompatibility issues.)

So I don't know whether the fact that I had two years of student loans that were subsequently written off means that I can't apply for the other two years that people are theoretically entitled to?

Good luck, Ann! I don't know anything about student loans but there are some things here that might be of interest.

I'm thinking of going back to study. But I've already had two years' of student loans back in the early 1990s.

That might not necessarily be a problem, because it's my understanding that people are entitled to up to four years of student loans. So I could potentially get two more years.

However, the student loans I had in around 1990-91/91-92 were the original style loans, which were written off about 10-15 years or so ago. I'd made some payments over the years, but I'd spent a lot of time out of work or in low paid jobs, and a few years overseas.

(I was originally studying engineering, but dropped out after my father assaulted me about six weeks before my end of year exams, so I went to pieces and flunked them. Long story, but I was a care leaver although my father had never been prosecuted for physical abuse because the social services hadn't followed their own procedures, according to a senior social worker. And when this happened, I'd asked the police to do something, but I'd been told that they wouldn't do anything unless it was 'attempted murder,' to which I responded that there was a fine line between attempted murder and murder and what happens if you don't get there in time the next time? Years later, I passed the first year of a self-funded part-time law degree, but I moved to London and I couldn't transfer due to course incompatibility issues.)

So I don't know whether the fact that I had two years of student loans that were subsequently written off means that I can't apply for the other two years that people are theoretically entitled to?
You tried contacting the providers? They are usually pretty keen to get students in. Only took 1 year at £3k, 20 years later I have more than that to pay. My step mum's friends took 4 year courses coinciding the the write off date (when it was fixed), banked all the money and then went on holiday. They seem to be more aware of this now, tho mines the sorry no wait til you are 65 one while taking it at 20 lol.

Good luck, Ann! I don't know anything about student loans but there are some things here that might be of interest.

Thank you so much, really appreciate all this info, I'll start looking into it now. x

Reactions: Sue
I'm not sure about the old style loan, but even if they does mean you can't get a full loan for the whole course, there are a couple of ways round it. You can get a full second student loan for STEM subjects - I was considering doing a computing undergrad degree, and still might do.

Also you can get loans for part time study for longer; that's what my daughter's had to do after COVID fucked up her second year at uni.

Last edited:
Full-time or part-time? Remember either way you will still need to eat etc whilst you're doing it.
Best of luck though all in favour of people bettering themselves by getting an education

I'm not sure about the old style loan, but even if they does mean you can't get a full loan for the whole course, there are a couple of ways round it. You can get a full second tudent loan for STEM subjects - I was considering doing a computing undergrad degree, and still might do.

Also you can get loans for part time study for longer; that's what my daughter's had to do after COVID fucked up her second year at uni.
The course is available for part-time study, but tbh I think I would struggle to juggle part-time studies and work, because I'm assuming the part-time student loans would be lower and not really enough to live on, so I'd have to try to do it on top of a full-time job, which would be difficult because the campus for this particular course is in sticksville, not many student jobs around, I don't think.

ETA: I will look into it, though, thank you.

Reactions: Sue
Full-time or part-time? Remember either way you will still need to eat etc whilst you're doing it.
Best of luck though all in favour of people bettering themselves by getting an education
Full-time. That's my other query, ie whether I'd be eligible for a maintenance grant as a disabled student?

Tbh, it's one of my major regrets that I never completed my university education and got a degree. I was always in the top sets at school, had an almost photographic memory and used to ace exams, come top of the year in various subjects, to the extent that my French teacher called in my parents for a meeting and referred them to the national association for gifted children. I was an undiagnosed autistic. But I was physically (and psychologically and emotionally) abused as a child and taken into care as a teenager. It was like being thrown from the frying pan into the fire. I did get sent to a good local school (former grammar), rather than the local comp where they dumped most of the kids in the children's home I lived in. But I was chucked out into the big bad world at age 17. I managed to get to uni at 21 as a mature student, but my father fucked up that opportunity for me.

I sometimes wonder what my life might've been like if I'd had supportive parents and/or a supportive partner, instead of spending my whole adult life lurching from crisis to crisis - mental health and/or financial - what I might've achieved if I'd had even a bit of stability and security that might've enabled me to achieve my academic potential.

I know lots of other people have managed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and succeed over the odds, managed to go to uni as a mature student, or even do Open University, even while simultaneously working and raising a family, but my autistic executive dysfunction doesn't enable me to do that much multitasking, sadly.

Full-time. That's my other query, ie whether I'd be eligible for a maintenance grant as a disabled student?

No. I'm afraid they don't exist any more.

DSA, disabled student's allowance, is for paying for an amaneunsis, some technology costs, etc, (and it's a total arse to apply for), but it's not for living costs.

(The money's paid directly to the provider of the help or tech, so you can't use it for anything else).

Back
Top Bottom