Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham High Road: littered with closed venues and leisure facilities....

editor

hiraethified
streatham-closing-down-2011-13.jpg

streatham-closing-down-2011-05.jpg

Photo feature up here: http://www.urban75.org/blog/streatham-struggles-to-keep-its-leisure-and-entertainment-venues/

The Regal foyer unit is such a lovely space, but so utterly unsuited for its Licence - for catering/restaurant - it's all stairs, so there's nowhere to seat people.

My understanding of the baths is that they are to go completely, and there is to be a new baths built in the Hub Tescothon development, whether that ever materialsies is unlikely.
I thought the old baths building was listed, but in fact it's only the stained glass window which is, so this must appear in the new development somewhere. some nice pics of the empty interior here: http://www.streathampulse.com/2011/03/25/streathams-historic-swimming-pool/

Lambeth Council are requiring Tesco's to build a new leisure centre, with swimming baths, ice rink, gymnasium, etc, before they even think about building their new store. The leisure centre will, I think, be where the bus garage used to be and is now a go-karting place; then the superstore, flats, etc, where the rink & swimming-baths are now.

And in the meantime, I shall be able to have about 20 minutes longer in bed of a morning, as it will be so much quicker to get to the temporary rink (normally I have to get up at stupid o'clock 3 mornings a week to skate!).

and in the meantime, I'm having to travel from Streatham to Balham to swim as this whole Tesco Lambeth deal has taken so long. The leisure centre's been closed since 09, and there's no way anything will be completed before 2014 at earliest. Joke's on us...

I don't understand why anyone who lives in Brixton would want to go to Streatham anyway.

Their 99p shop is much bigger than the Brixton one

It has more charity shops to dump your unwanted stuff in

There's tonnes of cafes if you're into cafes

Gracefield Gardens is up there if you need blood tests

Decorator's Mate is in Streatham Hill

erm....

the pavements are wider so more space to walk

and in the meantime, I'm having to travel from Streatham to Balham to swim as this whole Tesco Lambeth deal has taken so long. The leisure centre's been closed since 09, and there's no way anything will be completed before 2014 at earliest. Joke's on us...

Is there no swimming at Brixton rec, or is Balham just nearer where you are?

and it has

a Morrison's

A Go-Kart track if you're rich enough to use it

tonnes of barbers

A couple of Polish shops if you're into Polish foods

To be fair to Streatham, the high road is really long, so there's more space for it to contain closed venues. It's a fair schlep from Ceaser's to the Ice Rink. Also, there were two cinemas in Streatham, so there's still one going strong. But still...it is pretty depressing.

To be fair to Streatham, the high road is really long, so there's more space for it to contain closed venues. It's a fair schlep from Ceaser's to the Ice Rink. Also, there were two cinemas in Streatham, so there's still one going strong. But still...it is pretty depressing.

The cinema is the only marker for me. If I'm looking for somewhere, I have to ask where it is in relation to the cinema

It also has Westbury's which until recently was the only late chemist around (but now you have one in New Park Road and Coldharbour Lane)

Longest High St in the Country.

The only thing worse than an empty building, is one that was once a Pub (Taylors) but is now a sodding Foxtons. And they remodified the front so that there is sign of it once being a pub. And the bastards seem to have adopted my road as their works carpark.

Bastards

:mad::mad::mad:

The only thing worse than an empty building, is one that was once a Pub (Taylors) but is now a sodding Foxtons. And they remodified the front so that there is sign of it once being a pub. And the bastards seem to have adopted my road as their works carpark.

Bastards

:mad::mad::mad:

That bar in the front is to remind you it used to be a bar

Looks right poncey

It is said Streatham High Road is the longest High Street in Europe.

Unfortunately it is also one of the direst.

Shame, because it does have the odd very acceptable restaurant and shop.

Streatham has the tropical fish shop on Leigham Ct Rd, with very helpful staff, a great new 'Kennedys' opposite which does good hot takeaway lunches, like good sausages and mash or lamb shanks, Pefect Blend, a good new Polish Bakers and cake shop, the fabulous Mediterranean Shop in Streatham Hill with excellent tinned goods (Imam Bayildi, and dolmades, for e.g), gorgeous hot bread bakery and excellent lamb butcher, and ummm.....ummm.....two Oxfam shops? Brixton hasn't got an Oxfam shop!

Streatham hasn't been the same since Platts closed down (strokes beard and stares gloomily into a half of mild) and has been right royally fucked over by collapsing and delayed development plans.

It is said Streatham High Road is the longest High Street in Europe.

Unfortunately it is also one of the direst.

Shame, because it does have the odd very acceptable restaurant and shop.

The High Road really isn't that bad, honestly.....

I use to think the same a few years back...but I've grown quite fond of the place in a strange sort of way.

There is some very interesting independent shops on the High Road...it's not cool or urban, in fact it's far from it...but it has it's uses.

Streatham hasn't been the same since Platts closed down (strokes beard and stares gloomily into a half of mild) and has been right royally fucked over by collapsing and delayed development plans.

Pratts, not Platts. I've really fond memories of regularly walking around the haberdashery bit round the back and (joy) eagerly scanning the rows of wood-panelled technology in the electronics department. It was a sad day when it closed, not least because it took away one of the biggest daytime attractions in the area. Wasn't it something to do with LB Lambeth playing a little poker with rents and John Lewis not being that arsed to invest in what was a pretty archaic, sprawling site?

In the game of what ifs, you've got to wonder if Streatham may well have clung on to a fair bit more life in Pratts had stayed.

FWIW there are still some excellent shops and restaurants in Streatham. I'd happily transport the Mediterranean store, the trusty Corona deli and a host of restaurants, not least Hungs, to Brixton in an instant. Shame it's a painfully slow and bumpy bus journey and so spread out really.

Strange to think that I even found the high street strangely glamorous once. I'd have my face pressed against the car windows passing the the moving Cats Whiskers neon sign - oh the little Las-Vegas like glamour of the thing - the big name department store, the cinemas, the rows of restaurants with foreign names and delis with weird breads and nuts.

Back
Top Bottom