Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham High Road: littered with closed venues and leisure facilities....

We're going back a fair bit here admittedly. I suspect the car may mostly have been a Morris Minor, in fetching brown iirc

I don't think anyone has particularly fond memories of the Megabowl, epic squat party perhaps excepted. I'd bring back the giant animated neon cat signs mind - you want flashy decorations along that long strip of concrete. It's the longest high road in Britain, possibly Europe, don't you know?

I live in Streatham but I cant say I have much love for it. There are some good things; the common & rookery, the mediterranean supermarket and the mediterranean bakery opposite St Leonards, the Earl Ferrars, but its mostly meh.

Transport links are good despite not being on the tube.

Wasn't it also the most congested road in Europe? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Not sure, but I think I remember it being one of the most polluted. Even the plants on the central reservations couldn't hack the pollution.

Ah, found this from years ago

Hansard (1994)

Keith Hill MP

Such a development would certainly be more than welcome in the London area, for in the South West Thames regional health authority area, which covers part of London, the incidence of asthma rose by 164 per cent. 513 between 1979 and 1991. I am bound to say that those striking statistics are borne out in my own direct experience of case work in my south London constituency of Streatham. Indeed, so impressed was I by the number of parents referring to their children's asthma condition that I carried out a survey of the incidence of asthma among pupils at local primary and secondary schools in Streatham earlier this year. Sixteen of the 22 schools responding reported an increase in asthma over the past five years. In some cases, head teachers referred to dramatic increases over that period.

I am, of course, fully aware that the medical evidence, such as it is, points to the source of asthma in allergic reactions to such materials as pollen and household dust. Nevertheless, I am bound to say that I consider it more than a coincidence that when Friends of the Earth carried out a seven-city survey of nitrogen dioxide levels in the UK in 1992 it found that the worst residential site was in Streatham—with a mean level of 58.5 parts per billion. The European Union's upper safety limit is 40 parts per billion.

That monitoring exercise was carried out in the very heart of Streatham, at St. Leonard's junction, on the A23 London to Brighton road, one of London's busiest and most congested thoroughfares. The simple fact is that road vehicles are the main contributor to air pollution in urban areas; and they are overwhelmingly the source of air pollution in London. In London, road vehicles have been estimated to contribute 75 per cent. of nitrogen dioxides —which also play a major role in ozone formation—some 95 per cent. of black smoke and virtually 100 per cent. of carbon monoxide.

I live in Streatham but I cant say I have much love for it. There are some good things; the common & rookery, the mediterranean supermarket and the mediterranean bakery opposite St Leonards, the Earl Ferrars, but its mostly meh.

Transport links are good despite not being on the tube.

Streatham resident too..how can you miss Kennedys Fish & Chip Shop? Absolutely superb. :D

isn't the manor arms supposed to be a nice new boozer?

It's been all Gastro'd up, they've done a nice refurb on the place TBF, very tastefully done. Shame about the prices....Food is a little too overpriced IMHO.

It's nice though...along with the Earl Ferrers, it's a major upgrade on anything else Pub wise in Streatham.

I've lived within walking distance of Streatham High Rd for 4 years now and I barely know it (20 minute walk, mind), I tend to go to Mitcham Lane/Tooting instead. I should explore it more - but now I know they have a capoeira academy in there, that's good enough reason to spend more time getting to know it :)

The only thing worse than an empty building, is one that was once a Pub (Taylors) but is now a sodding Foxtons. And they remodified the front so that there is sign of it once being a pub. And the bastards seem to have adopted my road as their works carpark.

Bastards

:mad::mad::mad:

I knew there was something wrong with this post when I saw it. Taylor's is still there. Jack Stamp's is now Foxton's.

Further news. The Continental deli/cafe/whatever is was is now closed.

There's also a place doing Hot Towel Shaves for £10. Think it's called Savva's. It's been there a while, but it's the first time I noticed the hot towel shave.

Back
Top Bottom