Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham chitter chatter thread

We tried out Beyrouth at the weekend. It was nice but tbh for that style of restaurant the portions were rather on the small side - so a bit overpriced. Also the decor means it was very loud and noisy. Plus it was rammed and there weren't enough staff on so the service was rubbish. We had to leave without the chips we had ordered and ended up paying for them.

No licence so corkage is £2.50.

The food was nice though but I think on balance we'll stick with FM Mangal in Camberwell and Meze Mangal in New Cross.

Thanks for the review. Been meaning to get in there, I pass it all the time. The decor has puzzled me! Corkage is better at Lahore Kebab House doown the road!

Having stopped in the Kenningotn one this morning they say it will "be early next year at the earliest as we're short-staffed"...damnnit, i need my bike done befre then!

What?! I was hoping they were nearly ready!
I think I mentioned Apex in Clapham before, you maybe said you'd dealt with them before. Anyway, they're currently my favourite.

So today I read something about the Thameslink not going north through Streatham, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill anymore. WTF, can someone please explain? This is a really convenient line and I will be :mad: if it goes.

So today I read something about the Thameslink not going north through Streatham, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill anymore. WTF, can someone please explain? This is a really convenient line and I will be :mad: if it goes.

It's a plan to change the franchise from 2018 so that the south London Thameslink loop runs only as far north as Blackfriars. There's a consultation at http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2012-23/. I think the service is really useful.

So it will be the same to Wimbledon etc but when going north will end at Blackfriars instead of going to Kings X and then on to Cricklewood etc?

Yes. The relevant (as far I I see from a skim and search not full read) section of the consultation doc:

Wimbledon loop and Thameslink core services via Elephant & Castle
7.21 Many stakeholders are aware that Network Rail has recommended, in both the South London and London and South East Route Utilisation Strategies, that Wimbledon loop services should start and terminate at Blackfriars. Network Rail wishes to see trains presented to the Thameslink core punctually, and it sees the crossing moves that the Wimbledon loop trains have to make south of Blackfriars as potential conflicts with other trains, and thus a threat to punctuality. At peak times, from December 2018, it will be possible for up to 16 trains per hour to approach Blackfriars from the south route via Elephant & Castle, but for no more than eight of these to proceed through the Thameslink core. The other eight must terminate in the new platforms on the west side of Blackfriars station. All these trains will approach Blackfriars either from the Denmark Hill direction (including Catford loop trains) or from Herne Hill (including Wimbledon loop trains). The question to be decided is which six or eight trains (depending on whether 16 or 18 approach from London Bridge) go through the Thameslink core and which terminate. Trains that use these routes today come from Sutton, Wimbledon, Ashford (via Maidstone East), Rochester, Sevenoaks, Orpington, Beckenham Junction and Kent House. We are seeking respondents’ views on which of these service groups should run through the Thameslink core and which should terminate at Blackfriars.
Q.18
What services that run via Elephant & Castle do respondents think should run via the Thameslink core route?

Q.19
Recognising that not all of these services can run via the Thameslink core route, what would be the most satisfactory way of managing the interchange at Blackfriars?

The housing association In charge of shared ownership flats at the new Streatham Hub development have gazumped their own customers! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27524426

Was on the news last night. People being interviewed who thought they were moving into their new flat next month and now can't afford to looking heart broken :(

A colleague was just telling me that during the last housing boom developers didn't or couldn't go that far. His mate was offered £80,000 cash to back out of a new build scheme 'cos they could get so much more from it than when he bought it off plan.

Has the law changed or have they just become more shitty?

Well done to the shared ownership purchasers for getting themselves organised and nullifying the attempted swindle in such a short space of time. They received notification of the intention to shaft them on Monday and had blown it out of the water by Friday of the same week. That's good going by anyone's standards.

Hopefully Wandle Housing Association will be in serious trouble for this, a crude attempt to cheat the very people they're supposed to be helping.

I used to live just around the corner from there in Lewin Road, when they started construction I considered applying for one of the shared ownership places as I wanted to stay in the neighbourhood, but seeing how the property market was going in London I decided I couldn't hang around and bought a place in Tottenham 18 months ago.

Does anyone know where I can find an online timetable for exercise classes at Streatham Leisure? I can't seem to find one like I can for the Rec.

We had a takeaway from Delhi Bites opposite Streatham Hill Station last night. Really enjoyed it. It is run by a delightful friendly family, the man compiled a taster box of all the veg curries for us to try before deciding, the lamb biriyani was fantastic - they use good quality ingredients and it is very ungreasy. We had 2 biriyanis and a veg curry - we had a mixture of two in one portion - which provided an enormous dinner last night plus leftovers for a big lunch today, for two. At the moment they are offering spontaneous discounts for members of Streatham Mum's Network!
A new local regular!

Yes, Delhi bites is fantastic. Reallu tasty and highly authentic food. The couple who run it are indeed lovely. I keep tellling them they should advertise more, theyre selling themselves short at the moment.

That's the second very positive review i've seen in the last couple of days - but the other was on SMN - so was maybe you too. gonna try it though.

That's the second very positive review i've seen in the last couple of days - but the other was on SMN - so was maybe you too. gonna try it though.
Yes, I think that was me - I barely frequent SMN but thought I would give them a shout-out as a relatively new independent business - and a good one at that.

ETA also, I had accepted the spontaneously offered SMN discount so it seemed only right :)

Last edited:
We had a takeaway from Delhi Bites opposite Streatham Hill Station last night. Really enjoyed it. It is run by a delightful friendly family, the man compiled a taster box of all the veg curries for us to try before deciding, the lamb biriyani was fantastic - they use good quality ingredients and it is very ungreasy. We had 2 biriyanis and a veg curry - we had a mixture of two in one portion - which provided an enormous dinner last night plus leftovers for a big lunch today, for two. At the moment they are offering spontaneous discounts for members of Streatham Mum's Network!
A new local regular!
Yes, Delhi bites is fantastic. Reallu tasty and highly authentic food. The couple who run it are indeed lovely. I keep tellling them they should advertise more, theyre selling themselves short at the moment.

I went today and agree with your feedback. The food was authentic and really tasty. Lovely guy who when I mentioned urban 75 and showed him your reviews had asked me to post that he will give a 20% discount to anyone who mentions Urban75. I will definitely be returning.

On the subject of great new openings. The staff at Art & Craft are also lovely. The selection of beer they do is pretty decent and very representative of local brewerys. Also if like me you like good beer but find prices a bit steep, they sell a four pint growler for £10. Lovely fresh ale or lager for 2.50 a pint!

does it make sense to merge this and the 'New stuff in streatham' threads?

Art & craft - I was outside it on Sunday, wandring, had never though to look at it befre as the name plus logo (a pen nib) give the impressions it was a n art supplies store, which I have no need of. why the hell would you call a beer shop Art & Craft (I get the craft beer connection, but it makes little sense - especially as it's already off the footfall zone - you'd think a sign with 'BEER SHOP' would get more punters in!

Art & craft - I was outside it on Sunday, wandring, had never though to look at it befre as the name plus logo (a pen nib) give the impressions it was a n art supplies store, which I have no need of. why the hell would you call a beer shop Art & Craft (I get the craft beer connection, but it makes little sense - especially as it's already off the footfall zone - you'd think a sign with 'BEER SHOP' would get more punters in!

I thought the plan was they were going to be an independent art shop too, that doesnt seem to have happened though. I do agree it's hard to work out what the shop is! They need to advertise more, that could also be said for a lot of Streatham gems tho!

Back
Top Bottom