Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham chitter chatter thread

I might put this in the brixton thread too, but a mate of mine is considering moving to the area - anyone know what Christchurch Road is like?

I might put this in the brixton thread too, but a mate of mine is considering moving to the area - anyone know what Christchurch Road is like?
Which end, Tulse Hill or Streatham High Rd/Brixton High Rd? As far as I can tell, good in parts. As far as bus routes are concerned, you've got the 201 and the P13.

<heads-up>
Streatham Festival, 5-8th July.
If the distributors have done their job most SW16 residents will have had a programme thru their letteboxes last week...but posting here in case not - digital version can be viewed and downloaded from streathamfestival.com

Loads of stuff on offer, mostly free, from classical, open studios, weaving workshops, comedy, yarn-bombing, choral, chalk-grafitti, and a headline (free) fire show, 'Sparks Fly' on Streatham Common Sat 7th July at 9.30pm.

</spammer>

<heads-up>
Streatham Festival, 5-8th July.
If the distributors have done their job most SW16 residents will have had a programme thru their letteboxes last week...but posting here in case not - digital version can be viewed and downloaded from streathamfestival.com

Loads of stuff on offer, mostly free, from classical, open studios, weaving workshops, comedy, yarn-bombing, choral, chalk-grafitti, and a headline (free) fire show, 'Sparks Fly' on Streatham Common Sat 7th July at 9.30pm.

</spammer>

Anything good on for children? Can't tell from the website.

Hopefully the common will be decent by then - Benson's Fun Fair has royally screwed the grass up in a fair few places

there's a few things... the one that looks interesting is a drama workshop that's for 3 year olds plus.. wondering if we'd get away with it. The fire show on the common looks like it would be brilliant but it's obviously late - finishes at 10pm. I don't think there was anything else obvious. Will look at the programme again when I get a moment.

eta.. the programme is linked to through the website above. Here it is:

http://www.streathamfestival.com/2011/wp-content/uploads/Streatham-Festival-2012-Programme.pdf

the drama thing for kids is on page 3.

Sorry for delay, been at hop farm festi!
Erm, programme as linked above (thanks giajingirl), thye drama workshop as pointed out suitable for 3+, also prior to fireshow are lantern making workshops on the Common (3pm-7pm Sat). The Ninja Knitting on Streatham Green is a drop-in-and-learn-to-knit thing also. Dance workshops and performance (both Sat and Sun) at British Home(p.10 of programme) aimed at 7-14 y/olds.
Hope some of that suits?

The shop that used to house Chris Baron interiors is soon to become a Balfe's Bikes (ther'es one in Kennington already). This has been rumoured for some time but there are now Kona flags in the venue and an advert for a shop manager.

About time - I need a new LBS to try...

I went to The Dorchester today (just up from Streatham Hill). It's hard not to be completely charmed by the place, in a sort of being cooked for by your Nan way. Reasonably priced, and the bill is added up with a pen and paper at the end. What's not to like.

I went to The Dorchester today (just up from Streatham Hill). It's hard not to be completely charmed by the place, in a sort of being cooked for by your Nan way. Reasonably priced, and the bill is added up with a pen and paper at the end. What's not to like.

The Dorchester? :confused:

Where's that? Never heard of it or seen it and I was up Streatham Hill yesterday (although only to take someone to the station)

It's the little place just up from The South London Press, just before Dorchester Court, I think. It's got lattice windows, and a hand typed menu in the window. It looks a bit like it's created a rift in time to the late 50s early 60s. It's only open between 11.30 and 2.30 Tuesday to Saturday. I had plaice and chips, half a pint of orange juice, and apple and cherry crumble with custard. The bill came to £7.60. The clientelle seem to be a mixture of sharply dressed Streatham old boys, flirting with the equally ancient women who run it, and more normal local workers. I already want to go again.

It's the little place just up from The South London Press, just before Dorchester Court, I think. It's got lattice windows, and a hand typed menu in the window. It looks a bit like it's created a rift in time to the late 50s early 60s. It's only open between 11.30 and 2.30 Tuesday to Saturday. I had plaice and chips, half a pint of orange juice, and apple and cherry crumble with custard. The bill came to £7.60. The clientelle seem to be a mixture of sharply dressed Streatham old boys, flirting with the equally ancient women who run it, and more normal local workers. I already want to go again.

Oh, so it's not on Streatham Hill itself :D

Are you sure it was called the Dorchester?

the%2Bdorchester.jpg

The Dorchester is completely unlike Earl Grey and Rose... incredibly old school. Earl Grey and Rose is lovely but very very different indeed.

I love looking in at The Dorchester... old the old folk in suits having their steamed puddings and custard.

Been meaning to take my mum for ages but I'd have to take the kids and I think I might either ruin a few peaceful lunches or have to give up the baby to doting grannies.

We tried out Beyrouth at the weekend. It was nice but tbh for that style of restaurant the portions were rather on the small side - so a bit overpriced. Also the decor means it was very loud and noisy. Plus it was rammed and there weren't enough staff on so the service was rubbish. We had to leave without the chips we had ordered and ended up paying for them.

No licence so corkage is £2.50.

The food was nice though but I think on balance we'll stick with FM Mangal in Camberwell and Meze Mangal in New Cross.

The shop that used to house Chris Baron interiors is soon to become a Balfe's Bikes (ther'es one in Kennington already). This has been rumoured for some time but there are now Kona flags in the venue and an advert for a shop manager.

About time - I need a new LBS to try...
Having stopped in the Kenningotn one this morning they say it will "be early next year at the earliest as we're short-staffed"...damnnit, i need my bike done befre then!

A shame that Chris Baron Interiors has packed up. He'd been there since 1978 or thereabouts, possibly the longest serving shop in Streatham apart from Boots.

Back
Top Bottom