Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star signs have changed...

The etymology of disaster is to do with your stars being all wrong, "ill-starred." Not madly relevant but always stuck with me once I read it.

it's always interested me to see the same arguments about astrology being had now as they were having the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, as a glance at keith thomas' 'religion and the decline of magic' will show.

Ha! Loyal and dependable friend, not two-faced! I'm totally going to stop dissing you behind your back now and start defending you.

You're all wrong about what "your sign" is anyway because proper astrologers* would see "your sign", (i.e the astral body associated with your personal essence) as being your moon sign not your sun sign. Sun signs are the popular short cut used by the newspapers because in a culture that uses a solar calendar (like ours) it's the only sign that most people will know. This all came about because the Daily Express published a horoscope for Princess Margaret when she was born and they got the largest postbag ever from readers demanding to know how they could get theirs done. In a scene probably a bit like something out of Scoop, the astrologer they had used tried to explain about Moon signs, difficulty of calculating them etc and got told to come up with something - hence Sun Signs, quickly copied by every other newspaper.

Nowadays calculating your moon sign is pretty easy using computers.

I know this shit because in the late 90s I was employed to write the blurb for a computer programme that let you see the position of all the planets/heavenly-whatsits at the time of your birth and read what classic astrology had to say about this. I wrote that bit. Took a year, because there are a feck of a lot of entries once you include Houses etc, also they wanted a relationship compatibility chart too. I knew precisely sweet fa about astrology so I had to read up on it as I went, but they had tried to hire trendy hippy astrologer Jonathan Cainer to do it but he started mentioning fees in excess of £1m (he was on £700,000 a year from the Mail at the time) and the company decided a complete know-nothing like me was quite an attractive option at £20,000. Never got any royalties though, they went bust literally months after the project was finished. Still got a copy of the disc though, if anyone wants a sneak preview of the future.

*competing theories do exist.

Well. I've just looked up my moon sign and it nothing like my star sign so now all bases are covered. Even more so if my star sign has changed.

I liked this bit
"All right, you might say, but if our Moon Sign is so important, why do only a few of us know their Moon Sign?" :hmm: :D :D :eek:

Could say similar about football and apply it to men tbf.

Huh?

For starters football is a real thing.
Also, I don't think straight/bi/pan women purposely go around discussing football with men they fancy when they have no interest in it do they? :hmm:
Maybe asking "do you like football?" as a conversation point but that's not the same as asking what star sign someone is IMHO.
"Do you believe is Astrology?" would be more comparable

Well, I was born on a day that is sometimes said to be one sign, and somtimes another. Now I can finally state with confidence what I am!

Back
Top Bottom