Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spy drama - recommend a good one, please

krtek a houby

Sail hatin'
The better half loves a good spy series, so if can be from recent to a few years ago. Subtitles is fine and even better if its on Netflix or Amazon.

Cheers in advance x

The Americans - Modern classic series but anyone into the genre will probably have seen it; probably twice.
The Looming Tower - Brilliant. Went completely under most people's radars. They should've made more of this.
Turn: Washington's Spies - One of my favourite shows and a bit different. Follows the Culper Ring who spied against The Brits in the US War of Independence.
Deutschland 83 - Another modern classic. She'll probably have seen this.
Homeland - If you like that sort of thing.
Little Drummer Girl - Le Carre adaptation

Last edited:
The Americans - Modern classic series but anyone into the genre will probably have seen it.
The Looming Tower - Brilliant. Went completely under most people's radars. They should've made more of this.
Turn: Washigton's Spies - One of my favourite shows and a bit different. Follows the Culper Ring who spied against The Brits in the US War of Independence.
She seen The Americans, Homeland and Deutschland 83 but will keep an eye out for the others. Cheers!

The Americans - Modern classic series but anyone into the genre will probably have seen it.
Turn: Washigton's Spies - One of my favourite shows and a bit different. Follows the Culper Ring who spied against The Brits in the US War of Independence.

Forgot The Americans and Deutschland 83, bloody loved them both. Will look for The Looming Tower, what's that on?

A Spy Among Friends.

The spy being Kim Philby, and the friends being the old school tie old boy network he betrayed (along with a lot of other people).

Anna Maxwell Martin (Carmichael from Line of Duty) is the MI5 interrogator who debriefs KP's old friend Nick Elliot. She takes a dim view (I'm not sure if she was a real person, this is lightly fictionalised).

Very well done - it reminded me of Dennis Potter in places. Guy Pearce as Philby is quite obviously channelling James Mason. Narrative structure involves a lot of flashbacks, so you need to keep your wits about you.

Tehran - Israeli series similar in concept to Homeland.
Slow Horses - Modern Le Carre-ish, old school spy show.
Spies of Warsaw - Worthwhile WW2 thing.
A few episodes of Foyles War are entertaining enough for light Sunday viewing, staying with WW2.

Tehran - Israeli series similar in concept to Homeland.
Slow Horses - Modern Le Carre-ish, old school spy show.
Spies of Warsaw - Worthwhile WW2 thing.
A few episodes of Foyles War are entertaining enough for light Sunday viewing, staying with WW2.
An MI5 lady in Foyles War turns up in a similar role in Endeavour.

The Man On The Other Side - 1970s Stasi etc, don't want to give too much away (Netflix UK)

Plenty of suggestions here:

Slow Horses is excellent, good shout. Cast clearly enjoying it too.
I'm impressed by just how grubby Gary Oldman can get. But yes, if you like your LeCarre stuff it's an excellent modern take. Downside is it's on AppleTV+, but I'm sure someone can lend a hand in getting ahold of it "somehow".

She seen The Americans, Homeland and Deutschland 83 but will keep an eye out for the others. Cheers!
If she enjoyed Deutschland 83 (and D86 and D89) she might like another series that Anna Winger co-created called Transatlantic. It's on Netflix and I watched it last week. I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'spy drama' as such but deals the attempts to get refugees out of France during 1940/41. It's not as good as the three Deutschland series but it kept me reasonably entertained over the 7 episodes. It's mostly in English with some French and German.

The Spy with Sasha Baron Cohen is very good, as is The Courier, both based on true stories and on Netflix.

The Bureau that's been mentioned already is fantastic
The Bureau is indeed brilliant. The only death in the first two episodes is a rat ( animal )in the office and the first car chase is an elderly ice cream van chasing a bicycle. Not for comedic effect just fits in.
The tech they use is amazing and the portrayal of infighting between different supposedly friendly countries is an eyeopener.
For perspective I loath James Bond.
It’s Amazon and 5 series worth every penny.

Attachments

• IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: MBV
Kleo as well. German she’s a deep cover agent in The Stasi It’s set slap bang during the fall of the Berlin Wall. Doesn’t portray it how the media did.
It was utter chaos both sides suffering badly. Some excellent track suits as well. Oh Netflix as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3971.jpeg
    IMG_3971.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The Americans - Modern classic series but anyone into the genre will probably have seen it; probably twice.
Turn: Washington's Spies - One of my favourite shows and a bit different. Follows the Culper Ring who spied against The Brits in the US War of Independence.

Ah...great!! I am going to look these up.
I've seen Homeland but none of the rest.
Will check Netflix for them.

Ta Spymaster 👍

Back
Top Bottom