4. Soundtrack
5. Industrial Metal

Top Five Most Listened

1. dEUS - Popular Culture
2. Hans Zimmer - Time
3. Palaye Royale - Dying In A Hot Tub
4. Bring Me The Horizon ft. Grimes - Nihilist Blues
5. Steak Number Eight - The Sea Is Dying

Top Artiste - Trent Reznor and Atticis Ross.

You?

Lots of musicians & producers I follow are outraged about this thing, as they've spent the last 24 hours being tagged into people's spotify posts about how much their music is played by fans all over the world, while spotify's payment model means they can't afford to pay their rent.

they do have the choice not to put their music on there, though thats not really the point- streaming services should probably cost more and pay out more.

But check this:

Spotify seeks to woo music labels with promo model
Streaming service offers promotion in return for reduced royalty payments :D

article includes this: supposedly " Spotify is fast-growing but chronically lossmaking" :hmm:

they do have the choice not to put their music on there, though thats not really the point- streaming services should probably cost more and pay out more.

But check this:

Spotify seeks to woo music labels with promo model
Streaming service offers promotion in return for reduced royalty payments :D

article includes this: supposedly " Spotify is fast-growing but chronically lossmaking" :hmm:
These are often people who're signed to major labels, so I don't think they do really have the choice...

I have read a lot about how Spotify is lossmaking, and I wonder who's actually making money out of streaming music? Artists don't, the platform doesn't... Are the labels making loads?

These are often people who're signed to major labels, so I don't think they do really have the choice...

I have read a lot about how Spotify is lossmaking, and I wonder who's actually making money out of streaming music? Artists don't, the platform doesn't... Are the labels making loads?
this has some details in it
"

Streaming only really works for superstars and super record labels. Instead of receiving a direct amount per sale, as with downloads or physical purchases, it’s a “winner-takes-all” system. The way it works is the combined revenue of every streaming subscriber is divided by by “market share”. For example, suppose Bruno Mars releases an album and – rightly, because he’s amazing – Bruno appears on the surface of every phone, on every playlist, pushed by every algorithm. He could potentially end up with 5% of the whole world’s streaming money. Or, to be accurate, his record label will pocket that 5%. Bruno might see about 20% of that if, and only if, he’s repaid his recording costs. Pre-digital artists may be on pre-digital deals, so they may see nothing.

Even before Covid, the major labels were making almost $20m a day from streaming.

"

Surprisingly jeruselama is not my most played song - instead it's Alabama 3's version of Speed of the Sound of Loneliness which surprised me tbh as I do really like it but didn't think I played it that much.

Mine's all rubbish classical cause the kids get an hour or two of 'relaxing classical music' playlist every night. 'Forget You' by Ceelo Green is number one but that's the kids as well. No song that I've intentionally listened to by myself makes the top 20.

I was reading that Spotify being 'loss-making' was more about their aggressive expansion than it being truly loss making fwiw

Is it the usual "disruptive tech" approach? be cheap and accessible, become dominent and the go to, suck the life out of other platforms, and then gradually increase your prices. I have tons of playlists on their that I've spent years making which makes it hard to move. I do still buy music though where I can and the amount of music I have on there I could never physically buy.

I know little about disruptive tech really by the way so mainly asking.

K6pEclikwZ9BMQyfpBKSAtBsQDqjmaNnHsii-Of2zAFnZrctHOInXyOTr0tAtn1kaqzXWWmcL0otgJQp05ZIT3mN2w_zZ_1P3mKjlSlKlblS3k2U9K6b_KeA-Kotq1tCLu-9OXz4dgpRtJsZ3EAGjHSKz8qwY0sM3J4_k3yFsZG-0eHwQKmYe1pLIa-iaSAWB4R5wObrgMDiZJlOAayayOMMm0Q2Qx4Xi258PCG3mSguaqkGupZz-elNF0nAFrqyFDvzrSRaUjs_9mt5Wzj4h-Fg9B_Vdd6cLHwTulEv39I7oYNU596CKpPST1ea7pFRPX1sNgDZ4H0c-nPFwnTYOkUt4MO5q7FqXa_80nMccXIMuIk4lyXAqgdh3atiCJ6Rs1PMZfajN-Hmiaj8AZNLUCvggw35qlteCg-QZMYTKVuVNhzEMHCmkxd-N9qZXDrcp9H5kuTxmdiX0arRZIAdQvrCYCxHTNR574U88BdG9srlI_5tUok6_SK8Q279mAW4H7VLLKIEWFDKIGTyTU7k7dVybNGJr_tznO-Yb0Kip1qTN4Zmq5lwcFOxqb8xEv14ECsB6Nbt2TOm_QZb_qKatFfRSpF9RhFTwMZxdV7xbeLFH-2f0vFfGaEoVdh-ZJeQBQzxJvQ8kzH4nLzC-NGOk_n4Qn-x7ZI--5kxDkk9kXW6CE0fzpjd5zh-Gn2ARQ=w592-h880-no

NB: I don't use Spotify for all my music listening.

Well, just like last year, and the two years before, I don’t feel that this particularly represents what I listen to. Ive had maria callas and the clash as my favourite artist in previous years, both of whom I like but wouldn’t say they were particularly dear to me.
Anyway, this is what I got.

1424A442-3EEA-4C0E-BCC3-CE05D45E32A2.png

I got locked out of Spotify so had to start a new one in August so its disappointingly limited results. However this made me laugh ...this is what living so close to the mother ship has done...given me a song mantra to get me through :D

Also..not sure wtf chamber psych is! 20201203_192618.jpg20201203_192634.jpg

Broadly representative, but bear in mind I mainly just shuffle an ever increasing load of liked songs, sometimes skipping or putting on a 'mood' playlist.

Genres:

Electronica, Alternative Rock, Chamber Psych, Dance Rock, Indie Soul

Songs:

Richie Haves - Here Comes the Sun
Jamie XX - Loud Places
Disclosure - Magnets (SG Lewis remix)
Tycho - Epoch
Amber Arcades - It Changes

Artists:

Radiohead
Four Tet
Scuba
Daniel Avery
LCD Soundsystem

Lots of musicians & producers I follow are outraged about this thing, as they've spent the last 24 hours being tagged into people's spotify posts about how much their music is played by fans all over the world, while spotify's payment model means they can't afford to pay their rent.
I've actually stopped using it (though, because I'm me, continued to pay for it :confused: :facepalm: ) this year, so my 'most played' is a rather random selection of what I happened to be listening to in January.

This has, at least, reminded me to actually cancel the subscription, at least for now.

Top artists

Blur
David Bowie
Neil Young
Throwing Muses
Pulp

Interesting fact I was in the top 0.05% listeners of Blur

Top song
Babies - Pulp
Followed by 4 tracks off Delaware- Drop Nineteens

Fascinating stuff.

:guy:

I know there's been some dissent about Spotify but I'm really enjoying looking at what everyone is listening to and going "Fuck! That's a tune, I'd forgotten about that".

Also, with regards to the royalties I've found so many bands through Spotify that I would, and have, gone to see live. And then bought their stuff too.

The mechanism is what it is. If you want to take advantage then you can. If you want to find new music you can. I'm of the latter camp. And you're playing I near me I will come and see you.

I also have no idea what Chamber Psyche is either.

So I listened to a playlist. And I liked it. More new bands I've found. More new bands I'll go and see

Back
Top Bottom