Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SPotA 2023

Earps FTW

mary-earps-lionesses.gif

I hope they give it to Earps, I think they may give it to Dettori. Broad, I don't think so - it would mean glossing over his petulant display (which was funny as fuck but not good sportsmanship, and he himself has admitted he's embarrassed about it) when Bairstow was stumped/run out.

Got to be Earps.

Broad and Dettori would be lifetime achievement-style awards. They do do that sometimes, like with Ryan Giggs. Alfie Hewitt's had an amazing year but wheelchair tennis is probably too niche.

IMO the only three who pass the bar of 'has achieved something properly good this year' are Earps, Johnson-Thompson and Hewitt. So they're my one-two-three.

I hope they give it to Earps, I think they may give it to Dettori. Broad, I don't think so - it would mean glossing over his petulant display (which was funny as fuck but not good sportsmanship, and he himself has admitted he's embarrassed about it) when Bairstow was stumped/run out.
It's a public vote. Rumours are that Earps is running away with it. Her replica kit sold out in five minutes yesterday. £100!!! Bloody hell.

Lionesses goalkeeper shirts sell out in minutes as Mary Earps issues update

Got to be Earps.

Broad and Dettori would be lifetime achievement-style awards. They do do that sometimes, like with Ryan Giggs. Alfie Hewitt's had an amazing year but wheelchair tennis is probably too niche.

IMO the only three who pass the bar of 'has achieved something properly good this year' are Earps, Johnson-Thompson and Hewitt. So they're my one-two-three.

Yeah giving it as a lifetime achievement a la Giggs just feels wrong. I thought it felt pretty wrong when they gave it to him like he hadn't had his best year and I was generally a big fan of his, but he should've got it in the 90s, not at the tail end of his career.

Broad had a good Ashes, but it wasn't a stand-out performance and England didn't win the series. He's had better years than that, for sure.

Dettori rides horses. I don't really have an opinion about that.

Although I'm aware of Rory McIlroy, Frankie Dettori and Alfie Hewett they are not sports I follow so I don't really feel qualified to comment in their achievements.

Stuart Broad had a great season but not sure it was enough to win.

KJT's comeback was brilliant and quite emotional, Mary Earps is an inspirational figure and brilliant sportsperson so for me it's between those two with Earps just pipping it

It's such a bizarre name for an award. It's not based on 'personality'. I mean Andy Murray, the dullest man alive has won it twice. If it was personality then Broad would have won that easily. He's a fucking nutter, a loveable one though.

It's such a bizarre name for an award. It's not based on 'personality'. I mean Andy Murray, the dullest man alive has won it twice. If it was personality then Broad would have won that easily. He's a fucking nutter, a loveable one though.
I think this year "personality" has a bit of weight. The way she embarrassed Nike over them not selling the goalie's shirt, and supporting young women goal keepers over that has been spot on.

More power to her.

Andy Murray has an excellent wry sense of humour. And he's also mostly spot on in his opinions.

I actually agree with your point, but you chose a very bad example.

I can't say I am too bothered about SPOTA but the Joey Barton backlash is quite amusing..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom