Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

South Wales Metro System - ambitious plans detailed

It's pretty much linear based on the difference between the last 2 years of real results.
Doesn't seem too implausible but presented in a very 'Brass Eye' style.

that many people get trains in wales? I dont think so lol

15,000 pass-throughs a day in a station the size of Cardiff Central doesn't sound so far off.
Not being an expert or anything but used to pass through that station a fair amount.

I would use it into work, too and fro from "Cardiffs international airport station "(looks like one of those cheap 3 sided plexiglass bus stops ...actually ...it probably is ) to the 'diff .....if the electrification was going to give two trains per hour instead of our current one ....the way my shifts work at the mo , I would be left with a 50 min wait after finishing work....its free wifi in the 'diff ... but the wait is just too long. Sufferable if its a 30 min window though ...just walk slower

Now the plans for electrickery to finally reach us appears to have gone up in steam...the feckkers

Update:
THE Welsh Government has secured £119 million of EU funding to make progress with its plans for a South Wales Metro.

The deal has been confirmed by First Minister Carwyn Jones. It means that infrastructure upgrades can go ahead, so that frequencies can be improved on the Valley Lines. Some stations will also be improved.

The money includes £21.1 million for the Merthyr line for track doubling between Merthyr Tydfil and Pentrebach, and between Merthyr Vale and Quakers Yard. New platforms will be built for the doubled sections,

There will be £27.4 million for the Treherbert line, £23.7 million for the Aberdare line, £19.5 million for the Rhymney line and £27.3 million for the scheme to build a depot at Taff’s Well, where the new Metro fleet will be maintained.

Carwyn Jones said: ‘The South Wales Metro is an important part of our ambition as a government to improve public transport and better connect our Valleys communities and people to employment opportunities.

‘Today’s confirmation of £119 million EU funding means we can proceed with investment in infrastructure work on the valleys lines to make faster and more efficient journeys a reality for the thousands of rail users who use these routes daily.’

The Welsh Government is also applying for a further £40 million or more in EU funding to pay for additional infrastructure enhancements, which it hopes will be secured by the end of 2018.

Work on South Wales Metro Phase 2 is expected to be completed by 2023.

European cash boost for South Wales Metro | Railnews | Today's news for Tomorrow's railway

That shows a loop around Cardiff!

ETA: sorry, I thought it was the Radyr gap being closed, but it isn’t!
They've talked about extending the Coryton line for decades. It's a relatively small bit of track too, but.....oh well :(

Interesting development:

Network Rail has launched the process of selling the 137km of Valley Lines routes in south Wales to the Welsh Government.

The proposed deal, which has been notified to key people in the railway industry, is the first sale of its kind since Railtrack was created in 1994.

When it has gone through, the Valley Lines network, including Cardiff Queen Street station, will be outside the control or responsibility of Network Rail, in the same way that Transport for London already owns and maintains some 400km of railways.

A one-month consultation started on Friday (22 February), and the proposed sale date is 22 September, with completion of the handover due to follow in March next year.

The transaction is expected to require the approval of the Office of Rail and Road.

The Valleys network is to be modernised and electrified to become a core element in the South Wales Metro. It will be controlled from a separate signalling centre at Taffs Well, where a new depot is also being built.

The lines are being sold on a freehold basis, including buildings and operational assets.

The routes are Cardiff Bay via Cardiff Queen Street to Rhymney and Coryton plus the routes from Cardiff Queen Street North Junction to Merthyr Tydfil, Aberdare and Treherbert, plus the freight lines to Hirwaun and Cwmbargoed.

After the handover it would still be possible for services to run through from Network Rail infrastructure, such as local services from Cardiff Central.

The sale comes after repeated calls for Network Rail north of the border to be devolved to the Scottish Government, and it has also come before Keith Williams has had the time to complete his DfT-sponsored review into the future structure, ownership and operation of rail services in Britain.

Network Rail launches sale of Cardiff Valley Lines | Railnews | Today's news for Tomorrow's railway

cardiff rail.jpg

It's certainly big and bold - I'd love to see the Coryton line extended into Radyr

The measures include:
  • Cardiff Cross Rail - a new light rail/tram line from east to west connecting major population centres and new suburbs in the west with Cardiff Central
  • Cardiff Circle Line - a joined up complete orbital light rail/tram line linking large residential areas to the transport network
  • A new park and ride at junction 32 of the M4 connected to the Circle Line
  • A new Rapid Bus Transport Network using green and electric vehicles
  • New, safe cycleways and walking routes linked to bus, rail and tram networks
  • An integrated ticketing system allowing the user to move seamlessly from one transport mode to another.
  • Making Cardiff a 20mph city
£1bn vision to transform the way we move around Cardiff

Ambitious plans for Cardiff Central (or General to us older folks)
_99598421_mediaitem99598420.jpg

Wales' busiest railway station to get £58m upgrade

Back
Top Bottom