Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

South London Press journalist cautioned by Police for attack on Councillor

Really? Lambeth Life is basically a puff piece for Lambeth Labour. Thankfully it rarely gets delivered on our estate.

Revised WhatDoTheyKnow figures

Just heard from Ella Cope, Lambeth Life editor. She tells me the original WhatDoTheyKnow figures were wrong and were for editorial content. The correct revenue figures are:

External advertising revenue = 38% of total funding
Internal advertising revenue = 34% of total funding
Council subsidy = 28% of total funding

Percentages are all well and good, but I'd be interested to see how much this glorified spud peeling wrapper is costing me on my council tax each year.

of course most of that internal- council- advertising and some of the external would have gone to the SLP if Lambeth Life didn't exist. I'm not at all sure I want to spend 10p per issue to help drive a reasonable and, as this spat might demonstrate, independent local newspaper to the wall. Personally I'm in favour of journalists getting up the nose of councillors, whatever the details of this incident. LL will never do that.

of course most of that internal- council- advertising and some of the external would have gone to the SLP if Lambeth Life didn't exist. I'm not at all sure I want to spend 10p per issue to help drive a reasonable and, as this spat might demonstrate, independent local newspaper to the wall. Personally I'm in favour of journalists getting up the nose of councillors, whatever the details of this incident. LL will never do that.

According to a report in today's Guardian, Jack Straw also wants more local papers and fewer Council freesheets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/apr/01/local-newspapers-council-run-newspapers

I know a little more but can't comment right now.
Anyone who wants to know what happened should just read the Rotten Boroughs section of the current Private Eye. It's more or less what happened.

I know Greg Truscott and I know he was severely provoked by a gaggle of Labour councillors, including Bennett, who hate him and the resent the fact that the SLP has exposed a lot of shadiness in the council's affairs. This was the council's payback.

I don't know Mr T, but the scenario you have just presented was the one that had previously crossed my mind as the most likely. Thanks for the 'Rotten Boroughs' heads up. I shall pootle off and get a copy.

eek. :oops: Straw's agenda is so consistently dodgy there just has to be something I've missed, somewhere.

He probably has read Flat Earth News and so knows that the local papers who remain will do pretty much the same job as council newspapers anyway, dependent as they are on wire copy, council advertising and having to deal with very low budgets.

Wake up people

For a journalist to discriminate anyone is unacceptable, whether it be racial, or sexual. To verbally abuse, use threatening behaviour and humiliate someone in a public place is commonly known as bullying.
It is clear from some of the comments here that some of you find this funny or a topic that is trivial.

This kind of behaviour must not be allowed to prosper and needs to be stamped out. I believe (IMHO) that involving the police in this incident was completely justified.

This will make people think twice before using degrading language to people from minorities.

Mr Bennett seems to have good intentions if indeed he is assisting the police in order to combat the boroughs anti social problems. Further more it needs to happen from the top in order to make that message clear.

Bullying IS NOT acceptable at any level.

hello Councillor Bennett, why are you still pissed off 9 months later?

Maybe he just read the Xmas edition of Private Eye in which this featured in the Rotten Borough awards for 2010. Pretty big bump nonetheless. Time is a great healer or something.

Maybe he just read the Xmas edition of Private Eye in which this featured in the Rotten Borough awards for 2010. Pretty big bump nonetheless. Time is a great healer or something.

No doubt he was disappointed to only get a "commended" in the New Media Award section, whereas Gareth Crompton (former Lambeth Tory now a Birmingham Councillor) managed to get the "Runner Up" nomination for his tweet that Yasmin Alibhai-Brown should be stoned to death.

Better luck next year! ;)

hello Councillor Bennett, why are you still pissed off 9 months later?

If these people like Bennett were so concerned about minorities they wouldnt be bringing in swingeing cuts to services.

In the bigger scheme of things the best way to help the minorities etc is to defend services. Not make a big thing about drunken trivial rows. i would hardly call the incident bullying.

This complaint coming from the member of a party who when in power brought in the most draconian anti liberty laws supposedly to fight terrorism but in fact were used to bully people.

For a journalist to discriminate anyone is unacceptable, whether it be racial, or sexual. To verbally abuse, use threatening behaviour and humiliate someone in a public place is commonly known as bullying.
It is clear from some of the comments here that some of you find this funny or a topic that is trivial.

This kind of behaviour must not be allowed to prosper and needs to be stamped out. I believe (IMHO) that involving the police in this incident was completely justified.

This will make people think twice before using degrading language to people from minorities.

Mr Bennett seems to have good intentions if indeed he is assisting the police in order to combat the boroughs anti social problems. Further more it needs to happen from the top in order to make that message clear.

Is this where P56 comes from?

On page 56 of J.B Priestlys Play An Inspector Calls, the Inspector makes his final speech in which he says: 'But just remember this. One Eva Smith is gone - but there are millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us, with their lives and fears, their suffering and chance of happiness, all intertwined with our lives and what we think and say and do. We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for one another. And I tell you the time will soon come when, if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire blood and anguish. Good night.'

Is this where P56 comes from?

On page 56 of J.B Priestlys Play An Inspector Calls, the Inspector makes his final speech in which he says: 'But just remember this. One Eva Smith is gone - but there are millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us, with their lives and fears, their suffering and chance of happiness, all intertwined with our lives and what we think and say and do. We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for one another. And I tell you the time will soon come when, if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire blood and anguish. Good night.'

If these people like Bennett were so concerned about minorities they wouldnt be bringing in swingeing cuts to services.

In the bigger scheme of things the best way to help the minorities etc is to defend services. Not make a big thing about drunken trivial rows. i would hardly call the incident bullying.

This complaint coming from the member of a party who when in power brought in the most draconian anti liberty laws supposedly to fight terrorism but in fact were used to bully people.

quite so.

and your literary detection skills are quite remarkable.

Thanks newbie.:)

Its Google. Not my literary skills- which arent that good. The user name was so specific it aroused my curiousity.

We'll probably never know if you were right as Page56 seems to have vanished.

presumably too busy cutting the lollipop workforce...

If the version of events I've heard is true then the prejudicial behaviour/chat towards "minorities" was going both ways at the original incident. Lambeth Noo Labour are mostly a dreadful bunch of wankers so I'm ready to believe it.

They could try to use the "Regulation of Investigatory Powers act" to get all our details for not being nice to a Cllr on U75:eek:

Back
Top Bottom