Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

South Croydon railway station found after 100 years

What, Queens Gardens? Surely not?! I thought there were plans to revamp it but I can't believe they would build on it. :(
That would be so totally shit. I'm slightly nervous for all Croydons parks and woodland. They just don't seem to care about the good aspects of Croydon.

That would be so totally shit. I'm slightly nervous for all Croydons parks and woodland. They just don't seem to care about the good aspects of Croydon.
I used to work by the Police Station so often walked through the park at lunchtime. It would be huge shame if it was lost.

From what i've heard Croydon council are broke and are approving planning permission all over the place, especially in the south of the borough

The picture looks like what I knew as town hall gardens. Great shame to lose any spaces like that. If nothing else, it was a quiet place to go for registering a death across the road.
All councils are being stretched financially at the mo.

Thanks ffsear

It looks like a drastic makeover so I've done some digging ;) and it appears it's part of a redevelopment of Taberner House and the gardens to be known as "The Queen's Quarter".

Here's a handy pdf: https://www.hubgroup.co.uk/wp-conte...ner-House-site-The-Queens-Gardens-LOW-RES.pdf

I haven't had a chance to look at it in any detail yet.

Last edited:
couple of photos today on flickr of selsdon station (was on the sanderstead - elmers end line) which retained gas lighting until closure in 1983

I've always wondered whether there was a junction between Sanderstead and South Croydon as there's still evidence trackside when I've travelled along the remaining line.

Back
Top Bottom