Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sourdough Starter

Well it doesn't appear to be doing anything, I had a few bubbles around day 3 but after I started putting in the double amounts it's just turned to a stinky slop. :( I don't have an airing cupboard or anywhere particularly warm to put it so I'm blaming the cold snap.

No point trying again for a few more weeks as I'm going away a week on Wednesday.

Well it doesn't appear to be doing anything, I had a few bubbles around day 3 but after I started putting in the double amounts it's just turned to a stinky slop. :( I don't have an airing cupboard or anywhere particularly warm to put it so I'm blaming the cold snap.

No point trying again for a few more weeks as I'm going away a week on Wednesday.

Mine did that, as long as there is no mould it will be ok. Give it a good dose of flour before you go away and put it in the fridge.

I'm fairly sure it's ready to use. Can anyone (badseed killer b DieselBar) recommend a good recipe to start with?

I'm thinking if it needs to prove for a day or two I can go shopping tomorrow then bake it when I'm off work on Thursday/Friday/weekend. I tried reading some recipes on the page where the starter is linked but got a bit lost with it. Something easy would help or I'll lose confidence if I end up pulling a big soggy brick out of the oven.

made some dough for pizzas (using the quantities above, but without kneading - i just mix the ingredients until they're combined, leave overnight, give it another mix up in the morning to knock it down, then use in the evening) - used half the dough to make this. it's delish.

8599142213_90f891a1e7_c.jpg

I ended up using a recipe from Dieselbar's original posts in the pizza thread, although I haven't followed it to the letter. I'm a bit shit like that, not that scientific iykwim..

The dough has been proving in the fridge for 2 days. It hasn't grown much until I took it out today and at room temp it's steadily reaching a good size. Hoping for good, tasty results...pics tomorrow.

I was away the other week so putt he starter in the fridge.

Got it out on Tuesday to liven it up again. It kicked back into action really quickly. By the time I was home form work it was really frothy. Re-fed it over Wednesday and Thursday and made the 'sponge' with this River Cottage recipe.

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/river-cottage-sourdough/

Did the second part, adding more flour when I returned from work yesterday.

This morning it's a bit smelly, a bit like eggs.

Will the bread be edible?

e2a link

I used a no-knead recipe to make a sourdough boule with really great results. My parents were well impressed when I told them the bread they said was so good was made by yours truly!

It's an easy recipe innit?! Keeping a starter is miles easier than I imagined too.

When I did make crumpets the other week they were a bit shit, way too doughy.

yeah, i think it's in the interest of people who make sourdough to make out it's harder than it is so they can bask in the admiration of their jealous friends. in fact, i find it easier than making conventional bread, just need a little more time. and the results are far nicer, of course.

So I've just started my own sourdough starter. 100g stoneground wholemeal and 100g tap water. It's been about 36 hours now and I've got good signs of yeasty goodness bursting to life. Is it really as simple as it seems? Or am I missing something enormous that makes all the difference and my efforts shall fail me? You feed it, keep it warm, use abit, replace it with the same amount and repeat?

I don't even keep mine warm or feed it. It lives in the fridge. I've been making a loaf once a week.

I take it out the night before using it, use most of it up, leave a bit in the bottom of the tub and add some more flour and water.

I don't even keep mine warm or feed it. It lives in the fridge. I've been making a loaf once a week.

I take it out the night before using it, use most of it up, leave a bit in the bottom of the tub and add some more flour and water.

That's rather reassuring to hear :cool:. Delicious bread here we come!

I just checked mine, it's doubled in size (I drew a line on the jar) and the surface has about 9 large bubbles ready to burst, with lots of smaller throughout. Should I feed it tomorrow? Or leave it another 12-24 hours?

i don't do any kneading at all - give it a rough mix then leave it overnight, knock it down and put it into a tin in the morning and bake at tea time. too easy.

I gave my starter it's first feed today. The smell has gone from a pleasant, vaguely pizza kind of smell early this morning quite rapidly into a rather horrid, raw child's vomit-like aroma. I assume it'll get better as the dominant bacteria in the mix start to take over and kill the rest? Or am I going to have to put up with this smell forever if I want nice bread?

Back
Top Bottom