Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sourdough Starter

badseed

Mighty but thin.
The Pizza thread contains this stunning image from DieselBar.
pizza1.jpg
Having sat and drooled over it for a couple os weeks I have decided to make sourdough or more specifically a sourdough starter.

So after a bit of googling I have found that it is fairly simple to do using this method - http://sourdough.com/blog/sourdom/beginners-blog-starter-scratch

So Day 1, I sanitised a glass jar and loaded up on organic flour from the supermarket.
And were off...
8529241051_0744a5070b_c.jpg

Hopefully only about 10 days from pizza heaven

Day 2 and already some action. The initial dose of rye flour, plain flour and water has doubled in size and has lots nice bubbles inside.
Look at it :cool:
8533693946_9d1b091f44_b.jpg

I didn't think I would see any kind of action for a few days yet.
So I have added the exact same again and stirred it around.

You do realise keeping a starter is more onerous than looking after a pet, don't you? :D
You can put it inthe fridge to hibernate it if you are not planning on using it for a while. You just have to 'waken' it up a few days before you need it.

Btw badseed, ive been using dieselbars pizza method for a few months - its brilliant. You won't look back. People you serve pizzas to will tell you they are the best pizzas they've ever eaten. :)

I've kept a "mother" alive for a few years. Recent loaves haven't been so good. I have been tinkering with the process.

Btw badseed, ive been using dieselbars pizza method for a few months - its brilliant. You won't look back. People you serve pizzas to will tell you they are the best pizzas they've ever eaten. :)

What is said method?

Badseed: to "wake up" your mother, just let it go to room temperature. If you want it to be more energetic, dump half of it out and replenish with more flour and water. I have had my starter for years and it's fine - has even survived a few weeks of neglect while on holiday. They're pretty resilient.

What is said method?.
follow the link back on the photo badseed posted - dieselbar describes the process in the post. Seriously, ive done them for 5 people so far, all have (unprompted) said they're the best they've had. I won't bother cooking them any other way now...

follow the link back on the photo badseed posted - dieselbar describes the process in the post. Seriously, ive done them for 5 people so far, all have (unprompted) said they're the best they've had. I won't bother cooking them any other way now...

There is no link. :confused:

Day 4
It has turned into a kind of slurry with a strong 'acetone' like smell. Apparently this is a good sign.
I discarded 90% of it and added another 30/70g flour mix and 100g of water.
I need to do the same again for the next few days, hopefully I will have some bubbly stuff to get excited about tomorrow.

Day 6
Not much happening, I fed it twice yesterday and got rid of the acetone smell and the hooch that was forming on the top.
There are bubbles on the surface but not much else going on.

It has a slightly sour smell, not unpleasant. I think it's going ok, just slowly.

Day 8
It's going off like a frog in a sock, doubling in size about 8 hours after each feed and light and fluffy.
I think it's probably ready to use now. :)

I am throwing loads away as I don't have any use for it all. I am going to fill a couple of sandwich bags and put them in the freezer.

That's some nice work, I tried it a couple times but did not work out, brought a starter off ebay in the end.

As mentioned the method is the main difference in that shot, it could have been made with instant yeast. However the sourdough will give the dough much more flavour, especially if you give it a slow rise in the fridge.

Im get juiced up to make some, been a while, sourdough has been sitting in the fridge unfed for a week so I will take it out and discard and feed Wednesday night and Thursday morning, make the dough in the evening and leave in fridge till sat or sun when will take out and cookup

That's some nice work, I tried it a couple times but did not work out, brought a starter off ebay in the end.

I found it pretty simple, it didn't do much in the first week but then took off. I think if you keep feeding it and don't do much else there is not much that can go wrong.
There does seem to be a lot of conflicting information on the web (like all subjects :D) a lot of it is totally wrong. I read one site that said you should chuck it away if it develops a sour or acetone smell. That's why it's called sourdough :rolleyes:
As long as it's not mouldy it will be ok and you shouldn't chuck it.

I think the quality of flour in your initial starter makes a difference, I would be surprised if it worked well with processed bleached flour.
I used a combo of organic rye and organic white flour (30%,70%)

I am making a pizza dough tonight ready for tomorrow's feast.

After how delicious my herman german was I need to make some more sourdough, so this thread came along at just the right time.

Back
Top Bottom