Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Soundcloud reduces its bitrate to 64 KBPS without an anouncement

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
Without Comment, Soundcloud Reduces Its Bitrate By Half - NEST HQ

I have been relentless on holding Soundcloud accountable regarding its poor business decisions over the past couple years, but this one might just take the cake: for the new year, the company has decided to quietly switch bitrates from 128kbps to 64kbps.

Now, this change is a bit more convoluted than a simple bitrate switch, as they’ve also moved from the MP3 codec to the Opus codec, so a bit of a tech lesson here: encoding is a process by which information is converted to a digital format which can then be decoded by an audio player to output the resulting sound.

Aren't they hemorrhaging money and in real trouble? The new processor security issues might hit them hard too. Fucked basically.

There site is a PITA to use as well. Are there any good alternatives catering to peple uploading their own mmusic, not DJ mixes?

I think I'm going to cancel my pro account.

Shit upload space unless you go for the pro unlimited account.
Adverts on mobile, even though I'm paying them? Fuck that.
Stats are now hidden that were previously visible.
Reduced bitrate?

Fuck you SoundCloud. You had this locked up, but now it's only a matter of time before you're history.

The thing with Bandcamp is it's for pro/wannabe pro musicians init?

Soundcloud's great for people like me. I'm not signed to any record label. My music's not enough, for one. But I like to share what I've made sometimes, and for that Soundcound is perfect. And if I ever did make something decent, there's a chance it'll get heard on there because all the DJs/promoters/labels etc are on SC.

Bandcamp's good if you're already established, or on your way. It's shit for discovery, though, or just casual listening. Also no mixes.

The thing with Bandcamp is it's for pro/wannabe pro musicians init?
Not at all... or at least no more than soundcloud is, or myspace was. It's probably even easier to get set up than either of those.

What is missing is the "social network" side, but if it's just for posting tunes it's fine.

I see Soundcloud tried to defend themselves against this story by claiming that the opus codec is superior at lower bitrates so there is no decrease of quality. It's been many, many moons since I was in the business of comparing codecs and settings and then it was mostly video not audio so I cant offer my own thoughts about the counter-claim.

hearthis.at
Hopefully there'll be a mass exodus. Its just the sheer volume of music (and the ease of downloading stuff) that kept me loyal to soundcloud after heart kicked off. And I've never liked mixcloud

I noticed some shitty sounding music on there over the last couple of days - I just assumed it was crap recording. Makes sense now

House FM who upload every show 247 have just ditched SoundCloud and gone mixcloud.

Shame as SoundCloud did what it does well.

Awesome ska invita that's where I used to go for high bitrate sounds as my portable hard drive can attest. Amazing it seems to carry on skipping under the radar
delete your post ;)
selfdestruct.jpg

it really is a goldmine...even more so these days with so much dance music having digital over vinyl release

delete your post ;)
selfdestruct.jpg

it really is a goldmine...even more so these days with so much dance music having digital over vinyl release
See, I disagree here...slightly. Slsk is worse now than it's ever been. In the Golden Age, I could go to Soulseek and search for anything and it would be there, to download, in decent quality.

Now it's a regular occurance that tunes I can stream on YouTube aren't on Slsk. Apparently the private torrent sites are better for this but I fundamentally disagree with the way they are set up. Torrents are great for getting a file fast, but they're utter shit for longetivity. Torrents have a lifespan. With oldskool p2p programs like Slsk, everything is available forever.

Also, ratios - fuck that.

But still Slsk is better than anything else, despite its slight decline.

See, I disagree here...slightly. Slsk is worse now than it's ever been. In the Golden Age, I could go to Soulseek and search for anything and it would be there, to download, in decent quality.

Now it's a regular occurance that tunes I can stream on YouTube aren't on Slsk. Apparently the private torrent sites are better for this but I fundamentally disagree with the way they are set up. Torrents are great for getting a file fast, but they're utter shit for longetivity. Torrents have a lifespan. With oldskool p2p programs like Slsk, everything is available forever.

Also, ratios - fuck that.

But still Slsk is better than anything else, despite its slight decline.

Ratios encourage people to upload. Completely unsurprising that slsk doesn’t have ratios but you can’t find stuff on there. There’s no incentive to share stuff.

Aren't they hemorrhaging money and in real trouble? The new processor security issues might hit them hard too. Fucked basically.
I know of someone (FOAF) who went to work for Soundcloud in Berlin last year. Since then they've made a lot of people redundant, nearly shut down altogether and had to be rescued. It's not looking good for them at all.

MP3 is a 25 year old format which is universally derided.

All the posts on if this is a good thing or not, seem to be very fact free.

This Auphonic Blog: Opus, the revolutionary open audio codec for podcasts and internet audio seems to suggest that 128 mp3 is equivalent to 64 opus.

Alex
It's far from universally derided. It's a very good format that delivers what it's meant to do, a compromise between quality and filesize in a means that has become universally recognised. Nor is it meaningfully 25 years old, as compression/encoding continues to progress - i.e. where were LAME-encoded V0 MP3s in 1993?

Opus may be interesting but it's far from the first alternative to MP3, nor the first to be evangelised as such, and yet here we are still in a world of MP3s - there's a reason for that.

There is. If someone is downloading off me and they're not sharing files they're blocked.
That's not a sustainable way to build a community, or to keep content online. The private, ratio'd torrent trackers are extremely successful at this, at least until they eventually get busted.

That's not a sustainable way to build a community, or to keep content online. The private, ratio'd torrent trackers are extremely successful at this, at least until they eventually get busted.

The downside of successful private trackers is everything you want to upload has already been uploaded in terms of music. I miss what.cd but more for the software that was on there.

The downside of successful private trackers is everything you want to upload has already been uploaded in terms of music. I miss what.cd but more for the software that was on there.
True, it's something of a pyramid scheme in that respect. Freeleech and other promotions tackle that a little.

True, it's something of a pyramid scheme in that respect. Freeleech and other promotions tackle that a little.

It used to wind me up that freeleech on what.cd would only add to your ratio for uploads less than a GB. I was sharing stuff like sound effects libraries that were massive and people would mostly only snatch them during freeleech to absolutely zero benefit to me.

It used to wind me up that freeleech on what.cd would only add to your ratio for uploads less than a GB. I was sharing stuff like sound effects libraries that were massive and people would mostly only snatch them during freeleech to absolutely zero benefit to me.
Have you sorted yourself out with one of the replacements?

Back
Top Bottom