Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sony Playstation VR - release in October for £349

cypher79

Banned
Banned
Sony just announced that the PS VR will be released in October for £349. Annoyingly though, it doesn't come with the camera, which is required to play games on it. Doesn't come with the Move controllers either, although you can use it with a gamepad.

I'll probably still get one though, as the price is still significantly cheaper than the Steam VR and Oculus Rift. And I'm guessing theres going to be some very good games released for it too.

Anyone else interested in this?

True, but given the PC specs that Rift and Steam VR require (getting on for £1k I think), that would still make the Sony option hugely cheaper.

I think its probably worth it if you're really into gaming. I'm more interested in viewing experiences and portability so I'm leaning towards a Gear VR and a Samsung S6 which I could probably get all in for £360 (though an S7 would be nice for extra storage capacity).

So over 400 quid with extra bits?

I guess it will do harm to wait for prices to fall and for them actually create some content for it!

First impressions ,I like it , I mean really like it, it's not how it had been described to me , but I think you can't really explain it , people have to try it.

Graphics are last gen really but not as bad as I was expecting.

Been playing in short bursts so not to get any motion sickness although did have a feeling of vertigo when looking down.

The undersea stuff on the PlayStation world's disc is really impressive as is driving in vr in GT sport

Rush of blood ( free with ps plus month ) has just made me feel genuinely unsettled, although I did have to go and get a couple of move controllers which immerse you even further.

I also discovered if you use the you tube app you can go in vr mode where there's a load of 360 3d videos , not greatest quality but a helicopter tour above New York and being in a field with elephants were 2 good ones.

Also you can watch 3d blu rays in 3d without a 3d telly.

It's really good so far, and I'm barely touching the surface will update as and when I get wow-ed

If they keep it at this price after the 27th then they are onto a massive winner , which in turn can only be a good thing for the concept , and it's only the beginning.... :)

Ok now discovered you can watch Netflix and iPlayer and play your non vr games in cinema mode, and yes it's like having a cinema screen in front of you , blue planet 2 looks good and so did nextflix , will test some games in a bit

its now £249 with the camera and either GT sport VR or Skyrim VR until the 27th at tescos and game

Kids forced me to go in on this too, with Skyrim. Initial impression is as above, graphics look ps3 but very imersive with headset and earphones. I thought the game a bit dumbed down, baddies easy to kill. Need to do more reserch before full report... when i get another go.

It's a bit mental. Very immersive as everyone says, but also therefore isolating. More one for playing on your own I think, when I can make a tit of myself without the love of my life having to listen to it :D

Only played the demo so far, just installing Skyrim. Bye.

E2A: Don't think the graphics are any worse per se, more that its like viewing perfectly good graphics through a muslin sheet

That's enough for me for tonight, motion sickness has kicked in. Taking some time to get used to how to move, the snap when you use the controller to shift perspective is horrible if you're moving at the same time and I'm so, so used to just smoothly turning with the right thumbstick that its a hard habit to break and remember to just turn your head!

The whole thing is fucking cool though :D

Do you think that its not as sharp as you are just so close the screens or is it more then that?

I think it's a combination of that and the graphics just aren't as good. I'm using a regular PS4, don't know if that makes a difference but it's borderline PS2 quality on Skyrim for sure (but then the graphics aren't that great anyway on the non-VR). The VR world thing is better, but then its a demo.

That's enough for me for tonight, motion sickness has kicked in. Taking some time to get used to how to move, the snap when you use the controller to shift perspective is horrible if you're moving at the same time and I'm so, so used to just smoothly turning with the right thumbstick that its a hard habit to break and remember to just turn your head!

The whole thing is fucking cool though :D
in the options you should be able to change moving to smooth , but also , you cant play it for too long as or your / my head hurts

Back
Top Bottom