Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Songs that take you back to a specific place, person or time

Hollis

bloody furious
:weed:
I had a weird one yesterday. Someone on twitter was recommending George Harrison's 1979 soft rock album "George Harrison".

So I decided to give it as listen. The second track "Not guilty" which I had totally forgotten about took me straight back to my village primary school... I probably haven't heard it in 45 years,... But there is was classmate Keith Batten singing it over and over again in the playground...

Not a bad song. Interesting history. Not a bad album.

Anything by T Rex but particularly metal guru ~ my trans friend Petra, she was fabulous way ahead of her time and overdosed almost 40 years ago at 29, we danced to T Rex at her rent controlled Bayswater flat all the time. She wore long black dresses and flat shoes, long brown hair but would go out with a growth on her face and not give a fuck. She liked girls and I met her through my friend Margaret who met Petra in the dole office. I adored her 😊

All these years later, I knew Petra, maybe two years, but she made a massive, huge impression on me. I think of her often. When I think of people who have taken their own lives, I think of her ~ no idea how much she made people think, and how, after 40 years, she hardly new me ~ but she is always in my thoughts.

Last edited:
Sorry ~ don’t let that kill the thread 😂 there used to be a poster here called Upchuck, who I knew, she knew about Petra and made some really nasty comments about the name Petra just because she knew what Petra meant to me. Life, eh? 😊

"Jenny from the block" takes me back to driving along the USA1A going to the Keys. It was a wonderful trip on which everything was just right. The song had just been released and was being played a lot. When I hear it now I'm transported to that time, I feel the warmth, I smell the oranges, I relax and feel better immediately.

Still a shit song though.

I heard this song on my way to the hospital where my mother had been taken, she was unresponsive and on life support. She never regained consciousness and officially passed away the next day when life support was turned off. The sad song takes me back to that time.

Back
Top Bottom