Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Songs that quote other songs

killer b

That vase.
I've been a bit obsessed recently with Enrico Caruso's 1907 recording of Vesti la giubba from Leoncavallo's Pagliacci - the whole recording is gold, but I've set it to start at the money:

Famously Queen quote it at the start of It's A Hard Life

But! it turns out it's cropped up in other places too.

Here he is in Engelbert Humperdinck's When There Is No You

and again in The Ink Spots' Tell Me You Love Me

Both pretty cool tunes IMO.

Please post your other tips below

Middle eight/sixteen from Radiohead's Creep - verse melody from The air that I breathe by The Hollies
Guitar break from the Bunnymen's Seven seas - guitar break from Morrissey's Suedehead
Love is a bourgeois construct by Pet Shop Boys - Michael Nyman Chasing sheep is best left to shepherds
The end of Love will tear us apart - And then he kissed me - The Crystals

Love is a bourgeois construct by Pet Shop Boys - Michael Nyman Chasing sheep is best left to shepherds
I remember an interview with Neil Tennant where he claimed the verse of a then-recent single had been inspired by Stretch & Vern's I'm Alive - they spread their net wide those lads

I remember an interview with Neil Tennant where he claimed the verse of a then-recent single had been inspired by Stretch & Vern's I'm Alive - they spread their net wide those lads
Yeah, and I was just coming here to post another of theirs I've remembered - Integral from their Fundamental album is a direct lift off Diva's My body, your body, everybody move your body

Third Reich and Roll has to be up there for the most quotes?

And I'm assuming we're excluding samples here.
Does the drum beat from Be My Baby count? I think that might have turned up in one or two other places over the years.

The Beatles 'Taxman' and 'Start' by The Jam seem a bit too unsubtle to include.

You could probably say the same about these too, but I reckon there's a bit more to the latter than a straight lift.

Last edited:
The Beatles 'Taxman' and 'Start' by The Jam seem a bit too unsubtle to include.

You could probably say the same about these too, but I reckon there's a bit more to the latter than a straight lift.

That Neu motorik throb crops up loads of times in Stereolab's work - I'd say this is a bit closer

Back
Top Bottom