Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, who's been pickpocketed in Barcelona?

I have had bags stolen in Barcelona. From right under my feet.

It is a game in Barcelona. One mate got the squirted paint trick (pretend pigeon shit some kind person offers to wipe off). Another friend woke on the train to find his pockets all cut open. Another mate woke naked in Plaza real, but he'll willingly admit that was his own fault.

People come into Barcelona just to play pick-pocketing and bag snatching. The police are doing fuck all about it. It's way out of control.

Another mate was writing a book: 101 ways to get robbed in Barcelona.

The best I've seen yet are the imaginary football players. Two guys come up and start pretending to play keepy uppy with no ball. It is so distracting. Whilst you're wondering WTF? some other guy is going through your pockets and bags.

The other to look out for is the questionaire with clip board. Whilst the clipboeard is being used hands are going through your bag below.

It is seriously out of control, and for some reason the police don't care.

I was waiting at a crossing in Via Laietana when a bloke grabbed my purse from my hand, there were two of them and I chased after them down some side streets but I lost them. Luckily it was the last day of our holiday so I wasn't too inconvenienced, I think there was about 75 euros in the purse.

Another time a woman barged into me and slipped her hand into my bag but the pocket she managed to open only had a packet of tissues in it.

Bag snatching is mugging, isn't it?

My mate lived in Barcelona near some bag snatchers. They'd often just take the cash and sling the bags out into the garden. We had a nose around and found one with a passport in so decided to be good citizens and take it to the cop shop. I decided to be a bad citizen and keep the rather nice bag :facepalm:

So, queuing in the police station to hand in the passport and the owner was only standing ahead of us, waiting to report it stolen :oops: Naturally, I took my stuff out of the bag and handed it over also. She was so pleased to see her passport that, apart from a confused frown, she didn't question the bag business.

Not my finest moment, but strangely not so bad.

Hang on, why dıd gıvıng her your stuff dıstract her from the bag?

Thıs makes you as bad as the mugger.

I once knew someone from Barcelona who claimed his brother had had his watch stolen off his wrist while sitting on a park bench. I'd sort of assumed that despite his claims to the contrary, he'd fallen asleep, but maybe not?

No but been stopped by fake cops.

Basically was walking around with the other half back to our hostel when we were approached by a man. He asked us where the beach was. I looked at his map and showed him where we were and was trying to explain how to get to the beach when another guy (in plain clothes) approach and said “Policia passport!”.

I was standing there dazed and confused but luckily my gf read that this is a common scam in Barca so she shouted “run” and we bolted it!!! They didn’t give chase and that was that. But if she didn’t say that maybe I might have been scammed. :oops:

Never been pickpocketed in any of my travels, but was nearly in London, while in Leicester Sq one night, some cheeky sod had his hand going in my bag (he must have thought I was tres-pissed, except I wasn't) - I stopped and gave him the stare of death.

My mother had her bag cut twice, once in Mexico and once in Madrid, but never in Barcelona :D

I really don't like the place mostly for this reason, I've had to visit on my own a few times for work, it's not nice being followed from the supermarket to the hotel and seeing shady fuckers in the shadows waiting to jump you. If I have to pop out for anything on my own in the evening, I don't even take a wallet or handbag or phone out with me, just a 20 euro note! It's a disgrace that the police don't care, they need to change the law, because at the moment it is considered only a minor crime. There is even a Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/RobbedInBarcelona

I went to Barcelona for 4 days a few years ago - had no problems whatsoever.
Possibly because I generally look a bit scruffy and not likely to be a worthwhile target!

I went for a week, walked round with a large DSLR camera, and a shoulder bag of lenses, nothing bad happened. Perhaps I was lucky.
Was more shocked by the very very open prostitution along the Ramblas at night - many many girls coming up to us, offering a "good time" etc etc - I saw far more of them, than policemen.

I've been only once about 7 years ago, there 4 days and had no trouble. My mate was robbed in Sitges once.

I do hate this about going away though, being over occupied with crime. Went to Mexico last year and if anything spoilt it it was being on edge about being robbed all the time worrying about whether people were being genuinely nice.

Someone tried to bag snatch in Barcelona - would have only been disappointed.

I believe I was pickpocketed in Camden once.

Been to Barcelona about 50 times and never been mugged/pick pocketed. The key here seems to begin with "i was near Las Ramblas" or the other I hear a lot was "I was sitting outside a bar in bari gothic at around 11pm".

the one and only time i was victim of this during a 3 year stint in the city was when i was very drunk and full of flu medicine. I had a pocket full of snotty tissues and walking through the market i felt a hand in my hoody pocket, as quick as it was in, it was out! along with my snotrags! haha

I don't generally get pick-pocketed as my standard city procedures (no matter what city) involves not keeping valuables where they can be easily half-inched.

Someone tried to pick-pocket my bf's wallet in Amsterdam many years ago, but he was too quick and grabbed the guy's hand as he pulled it out! That was pretty cool. (I was next to him, so it wasn't some story he made up to impress me)

Similarly, when we were to the Canary Islands and hired a car, we parked it in Las Palmas, started to walk away, for some reason he looked back and there were 2 guys trying to break in! That man had some kind of radar! He was Irish, the boyfriend, which really doesn't explain anything, as Galway is hardly a hot bed of crime!

Back
Top Bottom