Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Small Faces

Immense song and written by a kid.
That reminds me of two tracks that are among my favourites, uptown top ranking Althea and Donna who wrote it when they were 14/15 although when it was popularised by John Peel they were 17/18 and Janis Ian who wrote Society's child at fourteen:

Great band!
Steve Marriott was a talented young man, sad he had some personality problems and then lost his life in a house fire :(
There's a great clip of him performing on stage as the Artful Dodger in the original cast of Oliver on YouTube somewhere I think.

PP Arnold :) great performer too.
I believe they were an item for a while :D

Ogdens was the first album I illegally downloaded! Came very late to the small faces party (2000), but listen to it at least once a month.

Been listening a lot to Ogden's Nut Gone Flake recently. The songs ate fantastic, but I could well do without the Stanley Unwin bits.

I'm well against skits and the like between records

Been listening a lot to Ogden's Nut Gone Flake recently. The songs ate fantastic, but I could well do without the Stanley Unwin bits.

I'm well against skits and the like between records

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'd agree generally but Stanley Unwin excepted. You all sitting comftybold two square on your botty?

Although a few years ago I played it to my sister who used to be a psychiatrist and she couldn't listen to it because there's a brain/speech defect like that.

Mad John wouldn't have been the same without Stanley's introduction. AND he explains the story behind the album.

On the other side, Rene's a good track too :oops:

I've now listened to the album another load of times and Stanley just clicked. What an album.
At times they had quite a heavy sound I think, a big sound, a bit like The Who. For example Afterglow - well heavy, man

I do appreciate the fact they were all shortarses too, me only being about 5' 7" myself.
Small men making big racket

My mum was totally in love with Stevie Marriott when a teenager, in a pop heartthrob way.
Her mate worked at the telephone exchange and knew Stevie's number, so put her through so she could have a chat to him.
Odd cos he's not a good looking bloke, but looks so cool playing live.

I recall seeing a documentary years ago where the other band members found him tiresome as he was so hyper all the time.
A bit like The Who were very sick of Keith's antics, but it made for good anecdotes.

Small Faces were a great band. Miming for tv appearances in those days was unavoidable as live playing on tv generally sounded awful.

For a second there I thought that this meant Stiff Little Fingers had covered a Small Faces song! :confused: :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom