Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Skype, FaceTime or which video chat app?

MrCurry

right after this urgent rest
I use Skype to video chat with my elderly parents in the U.K., both of us using iPads. The call quality is just about ok, but nothing special and it feels like there are probably better options which should be tried.

However, anyone who helps older people use tech will understand the challenge of persuading them to try something new (their default assumption is always “it’s not gonna work”), so I’m really only interested if there is an alternative which is easy to use and better in some significant way. Actually the most significant improvement which would be worthwhile would be if the audio can be louder, because they both have hearing aids and refuse to use them (“they cause earwax” 🤔 ) and even with their volume at max and me shouting, I end up having to repeat most of what I say.

So… is FaceTime better (louder?) or is there a better one to try to persuade them to use? Or does the real solution lie in an external Bluetooth speaker to raise the volume significantly (or would that cause echo problems when their iPad mic picks up the slightly delayed audio)? Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom