Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sites trying to block adblockers

cybershot

I'm noticing more and more sites employing this tactic. Previously for coming soon there was an option to 'continue without showing support' but now they've even dropped that, demanding I turn my adblocker off to view their site.

Capture.PNG

Anyone know of a way around these annoying messages, don't mind if it means switching to another adblocker that blocks the adblocker blocker!

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 12.16.47.png

I'm still seeing the "Continue without supporting us" option :hmm: (uBlock Origin, fwiw).

But I have seen ones which don't let you continue, when sites start doing that I no longer visit them.

Either I don't bother with viewing the site or use the element inspector to block/override the nag banners.

Could this work on paywalled articles? Hypothetically.
Perhaps on some poorly implemented scheme. But don't know, have never used it for such, only to bin the shite that local newspaper websites try to waste my device resources on. I've always been in the lucky position of having an employer who pays for access to a vast range of paywalled material.

View attachment 169679

I'm still seeing the "Continue without supporting us" option :hmm: (uBlock Origin, fwiw).

But I have seen ones which don't let you continue, when sites start doing that I no longer visit them.

I visit the site generally every day, so perhaps there is a cookie on my system or something that is X amount of days old that I need to delete. I'll have a look.

In meantime I discovered a workaround with ghostry to just disable enhanced ad blocking, which seemed to satisfy the adblocker blocker, and adverts continued to remain blocked.

Capture.PNG

If it's a site you visit often it might be worth adding a user stylesheet for that domain to your browser.

Here's how to do it in Firefox: How to override CSS stylesheets in Firefox

This is what you'd add for that site:

Code:
@-moz-document domain(https://www.comingsoon.net/) {
	.f-NJD1R8-1-._2nq-YCkI-1- {
		display: none;
	}
}

Basically all that does is turn of the grey background overlay and the warning.

I'm sure there's the equivalent for other browsers.

If it's a site you visit often it might be worth adding a user stylesheet for that domain to your browser.

Here's how to do it in Firefox: How to override CSS stylesheets in Firefox

This is what you'd add for that site:

Code:
@-moz-document domain(https://www.comingsoon.net/) {
	.f-NJD1R8-1-._2nq-YCkI-1- {
		display: none;
	}
}

Basically all that does is turn of the grey background overlay and the warning.

I'm sure there's the equivalent for other browsers.

I consider myself a bit of a nerd, but some of you guys are next level with your workarounds, hence why I posted here rather than pissing about with google. Top stuff, even if as Fez909 suggests if it's randomly generated it's still a rocking solution for other such sites.

I consider myself a bit of a nerd, but some of you guys are next level with your workarounds, hence why I posted here rather than pissing about with google. Top stuff, even if as Fez909 suggests if it's randomly generated it's still a rocking solution for other such sites.
There's a built in thing in uBlock Origin which does something similar to what RoyReed suggested (albeit on a temporary basis).

When the pop up appears, click uBlock icon, then the lightning symbol to enter 'Zapper mode'.

Then just click on the thing you want to disappear. It means you don't have to know what to look for in the CSS etc, but it only works for that visit, so you'd have to keep zapping each time you come back. Handy for one-off sites you'll never visit again.

If you zap the wrong thing and lose the actual site content, just refresh and it should be back.

Back
Top Bottom