Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sinead O'Connor's letter to Miley Cyrus

Its pretentious bollocks. Miley is loaded anyway, her dads Billy Ray Cyrus so she don't give a shit, she has no talent to obscure & if she wants to be 'cool' by licking sledgehammers & being naked & all that, why not? :D

I think the original letter was a bit patronising but had some good points. None of which have been developed in any useful way in the subsequent "debate".

ETA:

Miley tweets some nonsense and Sinead writes a 2nd letter http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/04/y...letter-to-miley-cyrus-threatens-legal-action/

Amanda Palmer gets in on the act http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/03/a...-to-sinead-oconnor-in-support-of-miley-cyrus/

Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/03/sinead-oconnor-miley-cyrus

Its pretentious bollocks. Miley is loaded anyway, her dads Billy Ray Cyrus so she don't give a shit, she has no talent to obscure & if she wants to be 'cool' by licking sledgehammers & being naked & all that, why not? :D

Rock-a-Hula_Ted-grab02.jpg

Starting with 'in the spirit of motherliness' is nauseating condescension. Brings to mind:

Bill Bailey said:
So what is this "speaking as a mother" then? Is that a euphemism for "talking out of my arse"? "Suspending rational thought for a moment"? "As a rational human being, Al-Qaeda are a loose association of psychopathic zealots who could be rounded up with a sustained police investigation. But speaking as a parent, they’re all eight foot tall, they’ve got lasers under their moustaches, a huge eye in their foreheads and the only way to kill them is to NUKE every country that hasn’t sent us a Christmas card in the the last 20 years!! ...Speaking as a mother"

Perhaps she'd have made some valid points/got the same publicity (delete as applicable) without losing the moral high ground quite so rapidly if she'd hectored Robin Thicke instead?

Perhaps she'd have made some valid points/got the same publicity (delete as applicable) without losing the moral high ground quite so rapidly if she'd hectored Robin Thicke instead?
tbf this was 'in response' to some comments by cyrus citing her as a role model. but she could have made the same points without the patronising, and without the shaming, and still got the same publicity. it's erm a shame really.

Well quite. Which rather points to the suspicion that she's more concerned at having her high art, more-earnest-than-thou-ness appropriated by a little upstart in revealing clothing than she is at any implications for the upstart's self-respect and empowerment.

e2a: this was in response to Kizmet

Well quite. Which rather points to the suspicion that she's more concerned at having her high art, more-earnest-than-thou-ness appropriated by a little upstart in revealing clothing than she is at any implications for the upstart's self-respect and empowerment.

e2a: this was in response to Kizmet

To be fair the woman has proved by her actions that she is more earnest than most.

Which makes the turning of those actions into fashion statements by someone who does not believe in them a pretty fair reason to be annoyed.

So Sinnead assumes that because Miley got naked, she is incapable of rational thought?

Very progressive....

sinneads second letter is crazy.....both dicks though Sinnead is deluded and given that she has dined out on one hit for the last 20 odd years don't think she is the best person to be giving out advise on longevity, fuck off back to pestering Jesus

So Sinnead assumes that because Miley got naked, she is incapable of rational thought?

Very progressive....

sinneads second letter is crazy.....both dicks though Sinnead is deluded and given that she has dined out on one hit for the last 20 odd years don't think she is the best person to be giving out advise on longevity, fuck off back to pestering Jesus

If I'm honest Miley Cyrus getting naked almost made me incapable of rational thought!

I quite like Miley, I thought she was pretty funny and talented when I watched Hannah Montana with my daughter. But you could quite easily guess the career trajectory she was destined for. I think that its a shame that a young womans path to fame is made so damn predictable. And, yes, she is turning into a dickhead. I think thats what that path does to a person.

Clash of the generations, there. But despite the clear faults already identified in this thread, I still had sympathy for the original letter. The follow-up tweets were lollorifically ridiculous.

I think it's fair enough that O'connor would want to reply, seeing as her image and whatnot had been used by Cyrus to say apparently the exact opposite of what O'connor has been saying her entire career. but, yes. it's not really about Cyrus's self respect and empowerment at all.

Back
Top Bottom