Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sinead O'Connor has died

Such a distinctive voice 😔.

I liked the Celts early stuff, saw them once or twice even and had no idea.
This seems quite a tribute to Sinead
"Just as the second album was getting off the ground, one of the group's core musicians, 27-year-old keyboardist Jo Bruce, (son of Cream bass player Jack Bruce), died suddenly of an asthma attack.[14] The band was devastated, and the album was put on hold. Sinéad O'Connor then collaborated with the band and helped them cope with their loss. "[O'Connor] blew into the studio on a windy November night and blew away again leaving us something incredibly emotional and powerful," McNally told Katz. "We had this track we didn't know what to do with. Sinéad scribbled a few lyrics and bang! She left us completely choked up."[full citation needed] The band used the name of O'Connor's song, "Release", for the title of their album. Volume 2: Release was released in 1999, and by the spring of 2000 it had sold more than half a million copies worldwide. Release is also used as one of the GCSE music set works in the UK that students are required to study for their exam.[15]"
Sad news; I hope her troubles are now in the past and she can be free.

I liked the Celts early stuff, saw them once or twice even and had no idea.
This seems quite a tribute to Sinead
"Just as the second album was getting off the ground, one of the group's core musicians, 27-year-old keyboardist Jo Bruce, (son of Cream bass player Jack Bruce), died suddenly of an asthma attack.[14] The band was devastated, and the album was put on hold. Sinéad O'Connor then collaborated with the band and helped them cope with their loss. "[O'Connor] blew into the studio on a windy November night and blew away again leaving us something incredibly emotional and powerful," McNally told Katz. "We had this track we didn't know what to do with. Sinéad scribbled a few lyrics and bang! She left us completely choked up."[full citation needed] The band used the name of O'Connor's song, "Release", for the title of their album. Volume 2: Release was released in 1999, and by the spring of 2000 it had sold more than half a million copies worldwide. Release is also used as one of the GCSE music set works in the UK that students are required to study for their exam.[15]"
Sad news; I hope her troubles are now in the past and she can be free.
Yes, it was a strange time and Sinead just made sense of it all 😔.

Glastonbury 2013, she headlined the acoustic tent, which was literally across the entire site from where I was working. I took my one night off of the week and hiked from one hillside to the other through Friday night crowds just to see her play.

The crowd was big and the tent was full. Lots of people on chairs inside so the audience spilled out. I had drinks and watched from a picnic table outside, chatting with randoms and enjoying the new material, the first part of the set was all new.

Then she played Nothing Compares 2 U and that was the first time I lost my shit and cried. But during that tune, masses of other people ran up, hearing it and wanting (I guess) their Glasto Moment (TM) of seeing S O'C play her most famous hit. She finished to huge applause, obvs.

Then (and this was weird) half the audience fucked off, just wandered away. I was flabbergasted, actually - but it made room for me to go inside to see the rest. And after playing something obscure that I don't remember, her crowd was probably 1/3 what it had been. And then she played literally a Greatest Hits set, Fire on Babylon, I do Not Want..., Black Boys on Mopeds, Last Day of our Acquaintance, Emperor's New Clothes, I mean it was awesome. Like a gift for all the trve fans who stayed to listen past the big hit

( That was copied from another thread, and all I can add is rest in peace and sorry to see you go x )

Back
Top Bottom