Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shoes for walking in riverbeds, rocky seas and pebbly beaches

Fez909

toilet expert
I am going to Greece in a few weeks and the beaches there look to be quite pebbly, so might need some shoes I can paddle or swim in.

I also want to go to the Acheron river, which is defo shoe territory:

1693326502759.png

What kind of shoes should I get? Bonus points if they're useful for kayaking/canoeing back home, too, but this is a Nice to Have, rather than a requirement.

How heavy are they eg can you swim in them? They look nicely substantial.

Thanks, all. I didn't know half of these terms.

Just get beach shoes.

Aqua Beach Surf Wet Water Shoes Boys Girls Mens Womens Unisex Wetsuit Boots https://amzn.eu/d/izhcw2J
Beech shoes seems to bring up all sorts, from jellies, to those surf-ey looking things you linked. They look very "active". Are they OK to walk about in when you're not in the water?
Reef sandals? I have an elderly pair of Oaklys but not sure if they make them anymore.

And/or wet shoes? I have a couple of pairs of these, very good value and durable: Buy Black Wet Shoes - 27 (UK 9 Infant) | Shoes | Tu
When I google reef sandals, I get what looks like flip flops. Are these the right things?
1693330204214.png

Some have straps, which would be needed in water, IMO. Still not sure these are right, though...

1693330241127.png
Quite a lot of variety there. Some look like "normal" trainers.

What size are you?
I have some unworn waterproof trainer sandals you are welcome to.
Thank you, that's very kind. I'm a 9. What are waterproof trainer sandals? Google brings up all sorts, again!

I've always just used a tatty old pair of trainers that can be binned if they fall apart.
I did consider thing, and I have some cheapo running shoes that would do the job (I never run, so I never wear them). But they're quite bulky. I thought there might be something better/lighter that won't fill my suitcase?

Beech shoes seems to bring up all sorts, from jellies, to those surf-ey looking things you linked. They look very "active". Are they OK to walk about in when you're not in the water?
Yeah I mean those things in the picture really. My wife has just told me the proper name is water shoes. But quite a thick plastic sole, drawstring. Doesn't matter if they get wet. There's a pebble beach here so wear them all the time, recently did a whole day at Siam Park in them. Absolutely fine, no worries.

When I google reef sandals, I get what looks like flip flops. Are these the right things?
View attachment 389422

Some have straps, which would be needed in water, IMO. Still not sure these are right, though...

View attachment 389423

Thank you, that's very kind. I'm a 9. What are waterproof trainer sandals? Google brings up all sorts, again!
The black ones with straps are nearest mine. I've walked 4.5 miles on beaches and paddling in mine. Mine aren't Oakley's after all but Teva. Very old but still so comfy.

Lols look at the state of them !

IMG_20230829_183557.jpg

We bought some cheap beach shoes last year when we were holidaying somewhere very pebble-y. They worked for us but we were only using them for swimming you'd want something more substantial if you're walking far. I do own some tevas and they're ludicrously comfortable.

View attachment 389422

View attachment 389423

I'm an 8 ☹️
18407869_xxl.jpg

I use something like this - £20 on Amazon.

The kids use Decathlon ones, which are better, and cheaper, but they stop at about 6.

Use them all the time for beaches and rivers. Sizing can be a bit hit and miss - I needed a bit bigger pair, while Mrs K went down half a size.
ZHR Mens Womens Water Shoes Quick Dry Aqua Socks for Swim Beach https://amzn.eu/d/bfvxmis

How heavy are they eg can you swim in them? They look nicely substantial.

They certainly aren't heavy, and whilst I didn't walk in any water beyond the shower block, I don't think they had any absorbant materials. The size of them provides a definite sense of plushness and cushioning, way beyond the 'stiff yoga mate below your foot', I could walk in them all day.

With regards to swimming in them, I don't know. I'm not sure many shoes are going to be great to swim in (maybe the neoprene/sock based ones might far better if that's the key goal).

I've got some Tropicfeel Canyons, which I swear by. They're strong, grippy, light, totally waterproof*, very quick-drying, machine-washable, and have some great features like the sprint laces. They're less than £100 (plus they're offering 10% off and free postage at the moment.)

ETA * I mean not damaged by water, rather than they keep water out.

Back
Top Bottom