Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scunthorpe - any recommendations?

Never been, but this is the tourist info page

Football club are starting the long road back to the league by topping the national league north. Think they saved the ground too from their previous dodgy owner. Bracing afternoon out.

A highlight....
"The Scunthorpe Co-operative Junior Choir from Scunthorpe won the title of BBC Radio 3 Choir of the Year 2008 at the Grand Finals on 7 December 2008"

Never been to Scunthorpe but if I did I'd want to visit this: Julian's Bower Maze - Alkborough, North Lincolnshire

I've been to Keadby, just to the west, which is the canal network connection to the River Trent, and perhaps one of the grimmest places I've visited in the country. It's worth seeing the river, which is one of Britain's longest and ginormous at this point just before it joins with the Humber. Lots of post-industrial weirdness around there.

But if you want actual visitor attractions rather than fascinating-but-grim stuff I'd just go to Hull which is a great city with loads to do despite reputation.

I visited it once and boy was it grim. The bleak shopping centre was billed as a highlight but it was truly miserable. But - to be fair - that was some time ago so maybe it's a nicer place now.

I visited it once and boy was it grim. The bleak shopping centre was billed as a highlight but it was truly miserable. But - to be fair - that was some time ago so maybe it's a nicer place now.

that was roughly my thoughts - although i haven't set a paw in scunthorpe for 20+ years.

it felt like it ought to have still been in black and white then...

ok here goes: The Honest Lawyer is a halfway decent pub that I think is still open. That is near the town centre, but apparently the town centre is now totally dead. For a proper taste of scunthorpe there is another mini high street, the area is called Ashby.... it is a bit more wild west there, rather than a generic failed town centre... up that end is the lincoln imp pub which is the only small gig venue, and a decent pub. locals will be wasted tho and strangers never go there so.... Also on ashby high street the Gourmet indian, that is nice to eat at The Gourmet Scunthorpe | Indian Restaurant | Takeaway Go to Ashby market, you will see some characters: Ashby Market - Visit North Lincolnshire

The big venues are Baths Hall (music/comedy), and the Plowright Theatre. worth checking whats on: Music, Comedy & More - What's On

Museum is worth a visit: Visit Us - North Lincolnshire Museum

On the upside you can get nice house cheap... if you don't go out much and know people and have a semi ok job than you can have quite a nice life there for cheap.

on a similar tip to the Lincoln imp there is another pub the Queen Bess up ashby, it is like a time warp to the 1970s. £1.20 pint. snug and saloon bar. function room with country and western evening where everyone is in full regalia. again it is full of "characters" and you will get talked to and the main way of communicating is piss taking, but it can be a fun night. the old guys are funny, lots of people are funny. it is a experience.

whenever I take non scunthorpe people out in scunthorpe they do have an amazing time but also are stunned and appalled by it. like I said I am a bit out of date from first hand, but I hear daily from friends... keeping track of people in my year at school, except for my friends there have not been very many good outcomes

if you do decide to risk the full town centre night out experience then my friends all seem to go to the Bluebell first. it's a wetherspoons but not a typical one, they have music and it is a party atmosphere. in fact this time of year it could prob be nice, people take christmas partying seriously.

everything involves getting drunk tho, if you are not prepared to get drunk I wouldn't bother it will be unbearable. and as always it is the gangs of youths to watch out for

Back
Top Bottom